Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Mixon- Bengals had productive talks
(05-22-2020, 02:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would not do a deal like that.  If he can't play he will get $22 million cash this year and eat up $8 million in dead cap space next year.

There's no benefit for the Bengals in that scenario unless the incentives are completely astronomical.  Even then it's risky.  And there's no benefit to AJ Green unless the incentives are reasonablly tiered and a number of them are built-in and/or reachable.

Any way you slice it it's going to take a BIG commitment to work out a new deal.  If people want a AJ Green deal done prior to the season then it's going to take quite a bit to get it done.  Green has a tremendous amount of leverage right now with the tag being fully guaranteed.

I just don't see how it makes any sense at all for the Bengals to jump the gun here.  Work out a new deal during the season, or after. Offer him a more than competitive deal, compared to his market value.  If he chooses to leave, he leaves. 

He'll be 33 at the start of next year, and he hasn't produced a top 10 season since 2015.  Why would they rush to pay him long term like one now? It would be one thing if it could result in substantial savings, but that's really not the case. Even if he blows up this years and has a great year, I can't see his market growing that much higher than what it would take to lock him up now. There's tons and tons and tons of risk, with little to no reward.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - Wes Mantooth - 05-27-2020, 12:05 PM