Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Mixon- Bengals had productive talks
(05-27-2020, 05:57 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: 1.) but what happens if he lights it up the year he's on the franchise tag. Then I really think it'll be nearly impossible to re-sign him.

2.) Can you imagine the consternation on this board if one of the best players in the history of the Bengals walks next year after making the pro bowl again? Everybody will scream that we should've locked him up when we had the chance! 

1.) I really think that even if he lights it up next year that his contract won't go up much from what I figure him wanting now (3 or 4 years, around 15-16 mil per, with 25-30 mil guaranteed).  Now obviously we're back to numbers predictions, and I could be off but I think I'm close.

I just don't see his value increasing much, unless he posts a HUGE season (like 100 balls, 1500 yards).  He'll be 33 next year, and he'll still have some recent injury history.  If you look at a guy like Emmanual Sanders, who is the same exact age, you'll see he just inked a 2 year 16 mil dollar deal.  And he's been healthier as of late.  I just can't see AJ getting 17+ mil plus multi-year offers on the open market. I don't think we'll be saving money by getting it done early.

2.) I guess it would depend on why exactly that were to occur.  If we made a great offer and he chose to leave for less money then what can really you do?  I don't think anyone could blame the team for not getting it done earlier given his recent history either.  It was also depend on how Tee Higgins looks.  If Higgins has a really nice rookie season, and Boyd stays on course, then I'm not sure I'd want him back anyways.  Use that money elsewhere.

----------------------------------

To each their own, but I'd put the odds on AJ having a lights out top 10 WR type of season (1300+ yards) season as slim to none.  I think at best I'd give a 50% chance to even stay healthy all year, and that's probably being generous.  I think best case scenario he's able to stay on the field, and is still productive.  But more similar to his 2017's numbers (1080 yards).  And fwiw, that yardage total would fall outside the top 20 for 2019.  I still think he can be a good player if he can stay healthy, but at his age and rust I really doubt he can still be elite.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - Wes Mantooth - 05-27-2020, 07:24 PM