Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
NFL's 4th and 15 proposal and the Bengals
(05-22-2020, 08:23 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: How does this rule effect spontaneous onside kicks? I’m thinking Saints in the super bowl and Parcells before that. Would teams still be allowed to do that?? I hope so. Those were some of the greatest coaching decisions in NFL history.

I think it's still there. I don't believe that they're replacing the onside kick, I think that they are just adding the option. You can still fake an extra point and go for two points but now you're 25 yards away instead of just going for two on the 2 yard line.

They've made the onside kick extremely difficult to pull off now. I liked it when it went out of bounds and the kicking team still got one more chance after a five yard penalty. They eliminated that well over a decade ago and then they stopped allowing teams to pile up one side. Now you need a perfect bounce and lots of luck. I'd rather go for 15 yards with 4 or 5 options to get the ball to.

Ray Rice's 4th and 29 conversion on a desperation dump off against the Chargers years ago shows that anything can happen with trained professionals. Trying/Hoping to get a perfect bounce of a football on Special Teams seems more of a desperation play than a 4th and 15 last second dump off to Gio or Mixon.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL's 4th and 15 proposal and the Bengals - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 05-22-2020, 09:54 PM