Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
NFL's 4th and 15 proposal and the Bengals
(05-24-2020, 11:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, the chances of converting an onside kick before the rule changes were a little higher, but not much.  Under the old rules, a team with momentum at least felt like they had a realistic chance of recovery, by overloading one side and performing some determined execution.  Under the current rules, it's more in the chances of a "lucky hop", or hoping for a human error on the part of the receiving team.

I'm not sure that the "4th and 15" proposal is the right solution, but I do agree that something needs to be done, to give team's mounting a comeback a fair chance of doing so.  

I kind of liked the XFL's approach to XP's, with the 1,2, and 3 point options.  However, I also don't want to see the kicking aspect of the game phased out, either.  What would be wrong with allowing XP kicks from greater distances, for higher point values?  We're currently at 35 for 1 point, and it has (in my opinion) made the XP a bit more exciting, as it's no longer "automatic".  Along those same lines, why not provide the option of a 2 point kick from 45, and a 3 point kick from say 52 yards?

Thoughts?

3 is too much.  It give a team like Baltimore a huge competitive advantage because Tucker is automatic even at that distance.  So they get to have 9 points every score because they have the league's best kicker.  And there are not enough kickers that talented to keep any kind of parity to that.  I doubt there are even 5 elite kickers in the league.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL's 4th and 15 proposal and the Bengals - jfkbengals - 05-24-2020, 12:11 PM