Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old People Yelling At Clouds
I was going over some 2013 email newsletters I sent high school coaches, parents and writers I worked with when I came across one of my favorite stories from my early years. Hope it gives you a smile.

Nowadays, the rules meetings for all IHSAA and IGHSAU sports are held online. It’s a good system as coaches and officials can “attend” their required meeting on their own time as long as they meet the deadline before the season. But a sentimental part of me misses the old football rules meetings where IHSAA people would travel around the state for one-night seminars with coaches and officials.

In 2001, I was still freelancing and went to a meeting held at The Forum in Dubuque. I had gone the year before and enjoyed mingling with everybody. The meeting was well organized and informative. It was worth the time to go to. I, being shy, sat in the back of the packed room. Near me was Pat Murphy who was the Dubuque Senior football coach at the time. A ways into the meeting, the IHSAA representative mentioned we were going to skip some things as we didn’t have any eight-man football schools in this part of the state. Suddenly, those of us in the back heard Murphy talk. “We played eight-man football last year. We had eleven guys out there, but only eight of them were playing.”
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Old People Yelling At Clouds - iowawriter - 06-25-2020, 09:25 PM
RE: Old People Yelling At Clouds - magikod - 06-25-2020, 11:17 PM
RE: Old People Yelling At Clouds - iowawriter - 07-06-2020, 08:58 PM