Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(08-28-2020, 11:16 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: We are pretty much 100% in agreement here.  So, as a level headed guy who strives to be objective, let me ask yo two questions.

1.  Why would the DA file murder 1 charges when they are clearly inappropriate?

The first, most obvious answer, is to appease the masses. The other reason is because in Wisconsin they can be knocked down during the process. So the jury could still bring back a guilty charge for second-degree.

(08-28-2020, 11:16 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: 2.  Why has a YouTuber provided far better reporting on this subject than any mainstream media outlet.  Have you seen any media outlet advancing the self defense position?

I've seen some conservative ones talking about it. National Review actually has a pretty good write up on the whole thing.

(08-28-2020, 12:04 PM)Dill Wrote: Were I a juror, I'm not sure I could ignore the series of bad decisions that led a 17-year old from Illinois to take up arms he could not legally wield and "charge towards danger" in another state--finally finding it.

People are going to be replaying the image of this white teen armed with a long gun, wandering unhindered around police during a riot, alongside video of Tamir Rice and John Crawford III etc. for years to come.

And if you were to take all of that into account as a juror, then you would not be fulfilling your role as you should. The focus is on whether he reasonably felt imminent threat to life or great injury. How it will play in the media doesn't matter, or shouldn't, when it comes to our judicial system. How he got there with the gun doesn't matter for the homicide charges. He can be guilty for illegally carrying without being guilty of homicide.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Belsnickel - 08-28-2020, 05:32 PM