Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Argument for and against Sewell.
(12-02-2020, 11:21 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Oh, in the span of 10 hours the Bengals have gone from $0 cap space in 2021 to $41M. And $18M of that projected $41M comes from not using the franchise tag on Green. According to Over The Cap, there will only be 5 teams with more cap space than the Bengals.
Im talking 0 in terms of signing outside free agents. After rollover we have about 30 million. Essentially our entire special teams unit is a free agent not to mention the big names(bates, hubbard, Lawson, wj3, Alexander, even Mike Daniels) after we resign then we’ll be extremely tight on money.
(12-02-2020, 11:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The tag doesn't "free up" $18 mill. The Bengals only currently are expected to have about $42 mill after rollover is brought into cap, as cap is expected to drop to $175 mill for the whole league. AJ's $18 mill is not factored into that $42 mill.

The Bengals have 30 upcoming FAs including:
WJ3
Carl Lawson
Shawn Williams
AJ Green
John Ross
Mike Thomas
Alex Erickson
Quinton Spain
Alex Redmond
Josh Bynes
Randy Bullock
Kevin Huber
Clark Harris
Brandon Wilson
Xavier Williams
Mackensie Alexander
Leshaun Sims

Obviously, we probably don't want most back, but the point is that's A LOT of roster spots to fill. So that cap is going to get eaten fast, as you can't fill all those spots with just draft picks and the guys coming back from IR/opt out.

About $10 mill will be reserved for draft picks and injury reserve, so the Bengals really only have about $30 mill to work with. Their internal FAs are going to eat into that quite a bit. They may not have the ability to sign a big-name FA unless they make a big cut or two. Guys like Atkins, Hart, Uzomah could (or should) be on the chopping block.

With all that said, I will happily embrace the addition of Sewell and even a guard in Rd 2, but know that the defense is likely going to stay bottom of the barrel for another year. At least if Anarumo is in charge of it with no significant upgrades in FA or the draft.
This is what I was referencing cap wise.. we’ll be lucky to have 5 left over after that. I’m a huge Sewell fan who isn’t but i don’t like the idea of saying burrow u basically have to score a td every possession if u want to win a gable. That’s why I’m a fan of the trade back. But if we pick at 3 it’s gotta be sewell.
(12-02-2020, 11:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s why we need to make more cuts. If they draft Sewell then Hart should be an obvious one. Maybe Geno but I doubt they eat that dead money.
If we cut more then we really need to trade back and get note picks. Im not okay with running this dline out here next year minus Lawson and atkins
(12-03-2020, 12:09 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I mean at least this guy gives the posters something to argue about. He’s been wrong like every year too, so most likely we are going to see Sewell a Bengal next year.

Go watch Voch Lombardis all 22 film on Sewell. He ass woops every player he blocks. A 6’6 340lb kid that zone blocks like a dream, pass blocking is already his biggest strength, and looks to hit people when run blocking. No, I don’t think you pass on a player who already has these elite skill sets and not even 20 yet.

You fire Turner and bring in a coach who can mold this player into the all pro he can be.

We are going to chase the best guards in FA. Paul Dehner has already went on record that after this season they are going to try to go get Thuney in FA. They ARE going to improve the line.

They desperately need to improve the pass rush. I think Anarumo will get fired after the season and they are going to try to bring in a coach with experience. I also think they can use another corner too.

Trade? The only team that can trade up with us in Miami in terms of draft capital. I don’t know if they will want to give up enough to move up to 3, but they may move to 4 or 5 for Chase.

I think Sewell is a Bengal unless the Jaguars want Sewell, then I think they take pass rush or Chase.
Voch also thinks Sewell is best at guard so u taking a guard at 3? And there is plenty of teams with draft capital. Not to mention always taking next years 1st. I’d take a 1 and 2 this year and 1 following year all day to move down 10 spots.
(12-03-2020, 02:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Wolfe and Ryan signed for a combined $9.5 mill for 2020.
Do we not think Ryan can play outside CB anymore? I know he's playing FS with the Giants this year, but I remember him being an outside CB for many years. 
Ryan said if memory serves correct he considers himself a safety and dosent want to be corner and is not a corner. That’s why he’s not playing corner for nyg
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Argument for and against Sewell. - Jpoore - 11-27-2020, 04:06 AM
RE: Argument for and against Sewell. - J24 - 11-27-2020, 06:15 PM
RE: Argument for and against Sewell. - J24 - 11-27-2020, 06:06 PM
Argument for and against Sewell. - BenZoo2 - 11-29-2020, 01:20 AM
Argument for and against Sewell. - BenZoo2 - 11-29-2020, 02:38 PM
Argument for and against Sewell. - BenZoo2 - 11-29-2020, 07:40 PM
RE: Argument for and against Sewell. - J24 - 11-29-2020, 10:56 PM
RE: Argument for and against Sewell. - J24 - 12-01-2020, 01:21 AM
Argument for and against Sewell. - BenZoo2 - 12-03-2020, 12:31 PM
RE: Argument for and against Sewell. - Jpoore - 12-03-2020, 09:46 PM