Poll: Would you make the trade
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Would you trade Burrow for Watson
People forget that Deshaun Watson wasn't that great last season (2019). He's was good no doubt, but not elite.

He was 13th in yards. He was 11th in TD's. And he threw for the 11th most INT's. His stat-line looked like this:

3,852 yards, 26 TD's, and 12 INT's. He added a very, very respectable 443 on the ground. (Still nowhere close to a Lamar Jackson)

Is that an elite QB? I don't think so. Let's compare him to Kyler Murray (a rookie) that same season:

Watson --- 3,852 yards, 26 TD's, 12 INT's, 443 yards rushing
Murray ---- 3,722 yards, 20 TD's, 12 INT's, 544 yards rushing

That pretty damn close. Total yards are about identical, INT's are identical, with Watson throwing for 6 more TD's. Against a rookie that joined the worst team in the league.

Now, you might be saying "Wes, 2019 wasn't a typical year for Watson. It was anamoly." Well, lets look at the year prior (2018)...

4,165 yards, 26 TD's, 9 INT's, and 551 yards on the ground.

It's better, but it's still relatively close. Yardage was up about 8%, but TD's remanined the same. INT's were slightly down. Rushing yardage was in the same ballpark with the year I referenced him and Murray.

He was 11th in passing yards, 12th in TD's, and the threw for the 23rd most INT's. (Better, but still comparable to above)

So, looking at the two years preceeding this season, I'm not seeing this "elite" QB people are referencing. Not in 2 of his 3 years he's been starting at least.

This year, however, he was very good. I stil don't have him in my top 3 though (Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson). And I'm not so sure he's better than Allen either.

I'm not sure exactly where that leaves us, but I think it's worth mentioning. Had the stat-line this year been the norm than I would easily insert him into the class of a Russell Wilson, but it's not. The fact is, all things considered, he's been somewhere between a 5-10 ranked QB through his first 3 years.

Why would any team trade away a QB they just used the #1 overall pick on, who more than lived up to his draft postion, and immediately trade him away for a QB that's makes a ton more than him? It makes absolutely zero sense.

I gotta be honest, I really don't know why this thread even exists. Not only is not plausible for the Bengals to do this, it's a ridiculous propsal in general. No team trades away a #1 overall QB who had the start their career that Joe did in year 2. It's an absurd premise, and a complete waste of time even as a hypothetical.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Wes Mantooth - 01-13-2021, 06:34 PM