Poll: Would you make the trade
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Would you trade Burrow for Watson
(01-17-2021, 02:08 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: This doesn't really answer our question. We are trying to figure out who is responsible for a roster bonus in the event that a player is traded. Doing a little digging, I found David Johnson, the RB for the Texans. When he signed his contract extension with the Cardinals, it included roster bonuses for 2019, 2020, 2021. In 2019, Arizona was responsible for the roster bonus but in 2020 and 2021, it appears that Houston is responsible for the roster bonuses. Judging off that one case, it appears that roster bonuses carry over from team to team. This seems to be a really, really hard thing to confirm. I can't find any articles about this. I can only look at Spotrac judge off of the contract breakdown. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/david-johnson-16810/

Here is an article from ProFootballNetwork that specifically talks about Watson and his contract situation, in the event of a trade. "In 2023, Watson is due to count $37 million against the salary cap. Of that money, $20 million of that is in salary, with a $17 million roster bonus. As it stands, that money in 2023 is only guaranteed for injury. However, if Watson is on a roster under this contract on March 22nd of 2022, that money becomes fully guaranteed. Therefore, any team trading for Deshaun Watson is essentially locking themselves into a three-year contract worth $82.54 million."

This is still confusing to me. He is set to count $37 million against the cap, roster bonus and salary included. However, they talk about a three year deal for $82.54 million. I can't find the math that works out to this number.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/deshaun-watson-contract-breakdown-salary-bonuses/

Everything I've read stats Roster Bonus is owed if on the roster of the team that signed him. Perhaps if a team takes him on they also take on the roster bonus, but I haven't read/heard that anywhere. Perhaps I'll try to call into one of the Sirius talk shows. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - bfine32 - 01-17-2021, 04:11 PM