Poll: Would you make the trade
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Would you trade Burrow for Watson
(02-10-2021, 12:54 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think it's very interesting to look at the timeline that lead to Watson wanting out.  I think it's clear that this guy really shouldn't have that much to compain about.

He signed his deal on Sept. 5th of this past year.  This was AFTER Deandre Hopkins was traded.  This was AFTER the Texans had traded off a number of draft picks.  The roster, as it currently stands, was completely in place.

So what exactly has changed since he signed his deal?  What can we actually point to that may be influencing his decision to demand a trade?

They replaced their GM, who was Bill O'Brien, with Nick Caserio, who came over from the Patriots where he served as Director of Player Personnel from 2008-2020.

They replaced their coach, who was Bill O'Brien, with David Culley, who came over from the Ravens where he served as Assistant Head Coach, Passing Game Coordinator, and Wide Receivers coach.

I don't think ANYONE can argue that the Texans GM and HC positions have now gotten worse.  In fact, I think you can argue they look to be vastly improved (Bill O'Brien was a terrible GM and a middling HC.  Caserio is a proven front office commodity, and Culley could be a really nice hire.  Both come from successful and winning organizations)

Of course, time will tell.  These are not guaranteed to be upgrades, nor are they guaranteed any specific level of success.  But the point is, there is no way you can look at the loss of Bill O'Brien, nor the quality of the replacements for his respective roles, as a reason to decide you now want out.

So what does this really all boil down to?  We all know the answer.  This man, who just accepted a 177 million dollar deal 5 months ago, wanted a say in picking his GM and Head Coach.  It has nothing to do with the loss of Bill O'Brien, nor the state of the roster.  Deshaun Watson felt like he should have input on building out the front office.

Am I the only one that finds this absolutely nuts?  Selfish?  Diva-ish?  Absurd?

This is an absolute joke.  Had he really be that concerned with playing somewhere else he never accepts that deal in the first place.  they already picked up his 5th year option and 2021 was due to be his last year.  He could have played the same cards he is playing now and demanded a trade going into an option year.

But no, that didn't happen.  This man took his signing bonus and now is crying because he doesn't get to pick his GM.  This is not a good precident for the league at all.

To not even give these new guys a chance, and to see what they do in the offseason is so unfair.  Had this been years into the extension I would understand.  But to take the money and run, months in, is total bullshit.  **** Deshaun Watson.
What has Deshaun Watson publicly said about the situation?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - bfine32 - 02-10-2021, 01:25 PM