Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Very Bengals-esque Offseason
Cuts - Geno Atkins, Gio Bernard, BJ Finney, Austin Seibert, Bobby Hart (post-draft)

Key re-signings: Carl Lawson, Quinton Spain, Mackensie Alexander, Brandon Wilson, Clark Harris, Kevin Huber

--------------------------------

FA (nothing overly exciting-all role players):
Josh Reynolds, WR LAR - Reynolds has familiarity with Taylor when he was QB Coach with the Rams. Reynolds is a great option for WR3 in this offense. He has a good blend of size, speed, and production to play opposite of Higgins on the outside with Boyd in the slot. 618 yards as WR3 in LA this year behind Woods and Kupp.

BJ Goodson, LB CLE - A solid vet ILB who had 91 tackles, 6 PDs, 2 INTs, and 2 TFLs with the Browns this year. Goodson is basically a somewhat better version of Josh Bynes. The Bengals need a better stopgap than Bynes while Pratt, Wilson, ADG, and Bailey continue to grow.

Solomon Thomas, DL SF - Redemption project who was a former Top 5 pick.  People thought he was going to be the next Aaron Donald. Thomas has been ineffective in SF's scheme where he's been primarily playing 3-4 DE, but he's best suited at 3T. Thomas can battle it out with a draft pick for pass rushing IDL reps.

Jameis Winston, QB NO - Winston I think gets a bad rap for the timely mistakes he made as a starter, but I still think he's one of the better options to back up Burrow on the cheap. He's better than Allen and Finley. Winston as Burrow's backup was also mentioned by Adam Schefter.

FA kicker - There will be plenty of FA kickers available. Pick one.

--------------------------------------

Draft:
1-1 (JAX) - Lawrence
1-2 (NYJ) - Sewell
1-3 - CAR trades their 1st, 3rd (72), and next year's 1st with MIA to move up from 8 to 3 to get their QB of choice ahead of ATL. MIA now has picks 8, 18, 36, 50, 73, and 82 within the first 3 rounds.
1-4 (ATL) - ATL takes Fields or Wilson, whichever remains. They could also go Surtain or Parsons, as they need defense bad.
1-5 - With Sewell off the board and all the WRs still there, MIA trades up from 8 to 5 with CIN to get their pass catcher of choice ahead of PHI, who many are mocking taking a WR. MIA also sends pick 50, giving the Bengals an extra 2nd rounder. They have a ton of picks, so a trade-up makes sense.

1-8) Christian Darrisaw, OT Virginia Tech (6'5", 314 lb) - CIN still wants an OT to replace Hart, and they get the next best guy in the draft in Darrisaw after a slight trade back. Darrisaw performed very well in 2020, boosting his stock. He has all the measurables you want in an OT in the NFL. Bringing in Darrisaw allows the Bengals to move on from Hart. Darrisaw also has the athleticism to fit in a zone blocking scheme along with the size and nastiness that Pollack prefers.

2) Christian Barmore, IDL Alabama (6'5", 310 lb) - Barmore had a Quinnen Williams type of season rushing from the inside. He has the size to not only dominate as a 4-3 DT but also play 3-4 DE. Barmore would be the replacement for Atkins with newly-added reclamation project Solomon Thomas backing him up. He may not make it to 38 though, but there are a couple other IDL guys I'd take at this spot if Barmore is gone.

2-50) Asante Samuel Jr, CB Florida St (5'10", 184 lb) - Guy reminds me a lot of his father, who was a great CB in the NFL. ASJ can play both outside and slot, and he has the speed and coverage ability to stick to receivers. Also willing and aggressive defending the run. With WJ3 leaving in FA, Samuel has a great chance to earn a starting spot right away. I think ASJ will be here, as some will have him labeled as only a slot guy, and no slot receiver has been taken inside the Top 50 before (or so I read).

3) Deonte Brown, OG Alabama (6'4", 350 lb) - A load of a man who can play both OG spots, most recently playing LG. Didn't allow a sack in his collegiate career. I like him to man the RG spot and just bully people. It's hard to get around him and it's near impossible to push him back. He's athletic for his size, but he may be able to get even more athletic if he can drop about 20-25 lbs.

4) Charles Snowden, EDGE Virginia (6'7", 235 lb) - This guy needs to bulk up, but he has incredible length, which helps him stuff the run, rush the passer, and defend in coverage. It helps that Snowden has been used as an off-ball LB, making him a versatile piece like what Anarumo wants in his edge guys. He can also get his long arms into throwing lanes, making it difficult for the QB when he can't get to him. Snowden can rotate with Lawson and Hubbard while he bulks up. This guy might have a lower floor than some other guys who might fall, but I think he has a ton of potential, and could end up being a Day 3 steal.

5) Tyree Gillespie, SS Mizzou (6'0", 210 lb) - Dude is a hitter with solid speed. With Shawn Williams likely departing in FA, I think Gillespie would be a good backup SS behind Bell. Gillespie also should be good on ST too, which will be needed.

6) Deommodore Lenoir, CB Oregon (5'11", 202 lb) - Depth CB who has experience in zone coverage. Lenoir can take one of those last two CB spots.

7) Matt Bushman, TE BYU (6'5", 240 lb) - TE who can catch and block. Put up 125 receptions for 1719 yards and 9 TDs in 36 games. He's already 25 years old though, so he's probably who he will be. He is a willing blocker but would be even better if he can add on 5-10 lbs.

7-SEA trade) JD Spielman, WR/RS TCU (5'9", 180 lb) - Slot receiver and PR to replace Erickson.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 07:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Cuts - Geno Atkins, Gio Bernard, BJ Finney, Austin Seibert, Bobby Hart (post-draft)

Key re-signings: Carl Lawson, Quinton Spain, Mackensie Alexander, Brandon Wilson, Clark Harris, Kevin Huber

Josh Reynolds, WR LAR - Reynolds has familiarity with Taylor when he was QB Coach with the Rams. Reynolds is a great option for WR3 in this offense. He has a good blend of size, speed, and production to play opposite of Higgins on the outside with Boyd in the slot. 618 yards as WR3 in LA this year behind Woods and Kupp.

BJ Goodson, LB CLE - A solid vet ILB who had 91 tackles, 6 PDs, 2 INTs, and 2 TFLs with the Browns this year. Goodson is basically a somewhat better version of Josh Bynes. The Bengals need a better stopgap than Bynes while Pratt, Wilson, ADG, and Bailey continue to grow.

Solomon Thomas, DL SF - Redemption project who was a former Top 5 pick.  People thought he was going to be the next Aaron Donald. Thomas has been ineffective in SF's scheme where he's been primarily playing 3-4 DE, but he's best suited at 3T. Thomas can battle it out with a draft pick for pass rushing IDL reps.

Jameis Winston, QB NO - Winston I think gets a bad rap for the timely mistakes he made as a starter, but I still think he's one of the better options to back up Burrow on the cheap. He's better than Allen and Finley. Winston as Burrow's backup was also mentioned by Adam Schefter.

Draft:
1-1 (JAX) - Lawrence
1-2 (NYJ) - Sewell
1-3 - CAR trades their 1st, 3rd (72), and next year's 1st with MIA to move up from 8 to 3 to get their QB of choice ahead of ATL. MIA now has picks 8, 18, 36, 50, 73, and 82 within the first 3 rounds.
1-4 (ATL) - ATL takes Fields or Wilson, whichever remains. They could also go Surtain or Parsons, as they need defense bad.
1-5 - With Sewell of the board and all the WRs still there, MIA trades up from 8 to 5 with CIN to get their pass catcher of choice ahead of PHI, who many are mocking taking a WR. MIA also sends pick 50, giving the Bengals an extra 2nd rounder. They have a ton of picks, so a trade-up makes sense.

1-8) Christian Darrisaw, OT Virginia Tech (6'5", 314 lb) - CIN still wants an OT to replace Hart, and they get the next best guy in the draft in Darrisaw after a slight trade back. Darrisaw performed very well in 2020, boosting his stock. He has all the measurables you want in an OT in the NFL. Bringing in Darrisaw allows the Bengals to move on from Hart. Darrisaw also has the athleticism to fit in a zone blocking scheme along with the size and nastiness that Pollack prefers.

2) Christian Barmore, IDL Alabama (6'5", 310 lb) - Barmore had a Quinnen Williams type of season rushing from the inside. He has the size to not only dominate as a 4-3 DT but also play 3-4 DE. Barmore would be the replacement for Atkins with newly-added reclamation project Solomon Thomas backing him up. He may not make it to 38 though, but there are a couple other IDL guys I'd take at this spot if Barmore is gone.

2-50) Asante Samuel Jr, CB Florida St (5'10", 184 lb) - Guy reminds me a lot of his father, who was a great CB in the NFL. ASJ can play both outside and slot, and he has the speed and coverage ability to stick to receivers. Also willing and aggressive defending the run. With WJ3 leaving in FA, Samuel has a great chance to earn a starting spot right away. I think ASJ will be here, as some will have him labeled as only a slot guy, and no slot receiver has been taken inside the Top 50 before (or so I read).

3) Deonte Brown, OG Alabama (6'4", 350 lb) - A load of a man who can play both OG spots, most recently playing LG. Didn't allow a sack in his collegiate career. I like him to man the RG spot and just bully people. It's hard to get around him and it's near impossible to push him back. He's athletic for his size, but he may be able to get even more athletic if he can drop about 20-25 lbs.

4) Charles Snowden, EDGE Virginia (6'7", 235 lb) - This guy needs to bulk up, but he has incredible length, which helps him stuff the run, rush the passer, and defend in coverage. It helps that Snowden has been used as an off-ball LB, making him a versatile piece like what Anarumo wants in his edge guys. He can also get his long arms into throwing lanes, making it difficult for the QB when he can't get to him. Snowden can rotate with Lawson and Hubbard while he bulks up. This guy might have a lower floor than some other guys who might fall, but I think he has a ton of potential, and could end up being a Day 3 steal.

5) Tyree Gillespie, SS Mizzou (6'0", 210 lb) - Dude is a hitter with solid speed. With Shawn Williams likely departing in FA, I think Gillespie would be a good backup SS behind Bell. Gillespie also should be good on ST too, which will be needed.

6) Deommodore Lenoir, CB Oregon (5'11", 202 lb) - Depth CB who has experience in zone coverage. Lenoir can take one of those last two CB spots.

7) Matt Bushman, TE BYU (6'5", 240 lb) - TE who can catch and block. Put up 125 receptions for 1719 yards and 9 TDs in 36 games. He's already 25 years old though, so he's probably who he will be. He is a willing blocker but would be even better if he can add on 5-10 lbs.

7-SEA trade) JD Spielman, WR/RS TCU (5'9", 180 lb) - Slot receiver and PR to replace Erickson.
I like it a lot. Just wish you could have fit a TE in a little bit earlier.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 08:50 PM)pulses Wrote: I like it a lot. Just wish you could have fit a TE in a little bit earlier.

I wanted a TE earlier too, but I saw OL, DL, and CB as more important. I think if a TE comes, it would be in Rds 5-7 anyway, but I liked Gillespie and Lenoir more than any of the TEs in the 5-6 range.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I like it

If Sewell makes it to us at 5 I'll be surprised. I'd say the only way he does is if there's some trading up going on to get a QB or two in front of us. But much can change between now and end of April.
Reply/Quote
Why do people insist on cutting Gio?
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 04:17 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Why do people insist on cutting Gio?

Simple - You don't pay $4.7 mill to a backup RB. Especially when you pay your starter $8+ mill.
The money saved from Bernard could be better served upgrading another position vs paying a backup RB.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 04:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Simple - You don't pay $4.7 mill to a backup RB. Especially when you pay your starter $8+ mill.
The money saved from Bernard could be better served upgrading another position vs paying a backup RB.

4.7 million isn't that much.  And if we've learned one thing, it's that the starter we have can't stay healthy an entire season.  Hell, one step further - Gio is miles ahead of anyone we have on the roster as a 3rd down back.  No way I would cut him.  $4.7 million isn't preventing the team from upgrading another spot.
Reply/Quote

Because we have a cheaper version in Traveon Williams who deserves a chance to play and the money saved can be used somewhere else more important.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 07:53 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: 4.7 million isn't that much.  And if we've learned one thing, it's that the starter we have can't stay healthy an entire season.  Hell, one step further - Gio is miles ahead of anyone we have on the roster as a 3rd down back.  No way I would cut him.  $4.7 million isn't preventing the team from upgrading another spot.

1) I have confidence a draft pick, Trayveon Williams, Samaje Perine, or some other random cheap FA could perform about as well as (if not better than) Bernard for less than half the cost. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/running-back/

2) That $4.7 mill could be the difference in getting a good FA on OL vs a mediocre one. Or getting a solid WR3, which is more impactful than a backup RB. You say that money isn't preventing upgrading another spot, but it actually could be. They need the following upgrades: WR3, TE, 2-3 OL, 2 DL, LB, possibly CB. They have $35 mill in cap without cutting people. $4.7 mill makes a difference.

3) The Bengals have the 7th highest paid RB on average (Mixon) at $12 mill APY and also the 14th highest paid RB on average (Bernard) at $4.85 mill APY. The Bengals can't cut Mixon because he has $11 mill in dead cap in 2021, so he'd cost more to cut than keep.

4) The Bengals are not contending in 2021, so why waste that money on Bernard, who will be in the last year of his contract?

We're going to have to agree to disagree because there's no way you convince me Bernard is worth keeping at his current cost.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 12:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) I have confidence a draft pick, Trayveon Williams, Samaje Perine, or some other random cheap FA could perform about as well as (if not better than) Bernard for less than half the cost. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/running-back/

2) That $4.7 mill could be the difference in getting a good FA on OL vs a mediocre one. Or getting a solid WR3, which is more impactful than a backup RB. You say that money isn't preventing upgrading another spot, but it actually could be. They need the following upgrades: WR3, TE, 2-3 OL, 2 DL, LB, possibly CB. They have $35 mill in cap without cutting people. $4.7 mill makes a difference.

3) The Bengals have the 7th highest paid RB on average (Mixon) at $12 mill APY and also the 14th highest paid RB on average (Bernard) at $4.85 mill APY. The Bengals can't cut Mixon because he has $11 mill in dead cap in 2021, so he'd cost more to cut than keep.

4) The Bengals are not contending in 2021, so why waste that money on Bernard, who will be in the last year of his contract?

We're going to have to agree to disagree because there's no way you convince me Bernard is worth keeping at his current cost.
I also like us possibly drafting someone like Kylin Hill RB Miss St in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 07:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Cuts - Geno Atkins, Gio Bernard, BJ Finney, Austin Seibert, Bobby Hart (post-draft)

Draft:
1-1 (JAX) - Lawrence
1-2 (NYJ) - Sewell
1-5 - With Sewell of the board and all the WRs still there, MIA trades up from 8 to 5 with CIN to get their pass catcher of choice ahead of PHI, who many are mocking taking a WR. MIA also sends pick 50, giving the Bengals an extra 2nd rounder. They have a ton of picks, so a trade-up makes sense.

Really like the FA moves you made, except Jameis.  I am not a fan and I would rather use that money elsewhere, but I love the moves outside of that.  Affordable, but improvements across the board with each.  

The draft looks really good as well, but I worry a bit about Samual being the outside CB on the Bengals.  They like their outside CBs to have a bit more length.  And with WJIII not re-signed, he would likely have to start, unless Phillips can take the job.  

While I hate the idea of going in to next year without WJIII, it is a VERY real possibility because I simply think he doesn't want to play here.  I don't know the guy personally, but college ball at Houston might tell me he is not as much about playing for a winning team as he likes being close to home.  I can't force the guy to stay here.  It's too bad, because when his head is in the game and he is playing at his very best, I think he is exceptional.  Unfortunately, I think he loses his energy when the team falls behind and he just goes through the motions too often, leading to the inconsistency we have seen from him.  That being said, we should all remember the MASSIVE dropoff when he wasn't out there.   The Bengal's CBs are asked to cover longer than probably any secondary in the league.  Again, I applaud your ability to deal with him possibly not being here, as I have somewhat ignored that in my mocks.  

Lastly, it will break my heart to see Miami get all those picks at #3 that we essentially lost by beating the Texans.  But, at least we got something for the #5 pick.  

Good job!
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 10:41 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I wanted a TE earlier too, but I saw OL, DL, and CB as more important. I think if a TE comes, it would be in Rds 5-7 anyway, but I liked Gillespie and Lenoir more than any of the TEs in the 5-6 range.

Keep an eye on Quinten Morris, TE out of my Alma Mater, BGSU.  Dude is a beast on a shitty team.  Absolute stud.  I can bet the Pats will get him, but I hope Cincy will look at him as well.  
Reply/Quote

I get it financially, but I want the guy to be a part of this team winning again. I love his character.  He also showed major grit down the stretch carrying the load for the team.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 12:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) I have confidence a draft pick, Trayveon Williams, Samaje Perine, or some other random cheap FA could perform about as well as (if not better than) Bernard for less than half the cost. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/running-back/

Brother, I couldn't disagree more.  The Bengals will contend for a playoff spot in 2021.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 11:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Really like the FA moves you made, except Jameis.  I am not a fan and I would rather use that money elsewhere, but I love the moves outside of that.  Affordable, but improvements across the board with each.  

The draft looks really good as well, but I worry a bit about Samual being the outside CB on the Bengals.  They like their outside CBs to have a bit more length.  And with WJIII not re-signed, he would likely have to start, unless Phillips can take the job.  

While I hate the idea of going in to next year without WJIII, it is a VERY real possibility because I simply think he doesn't want to play here.  I don't know the guy personally, but college ball at Houston might tell me he is not as much about playing for a winning team as he likes being close to home.  I can't force the guy to stay here.  It's too bad, because when his head is in the game and he is playing at his very best, I think he is exceptional.  Unfortunately, I think he loses his energy when the team falls behind and he just goes through the motions too often, leading to the inconsistency we have seen from him.  That being said, we should all remember the MASSIVE dropoff when he wasn't out there.   The Bengal's CBs are asked to cover longer than probably any secondary in the league.  Again, I applaud your ability to deal with him possibly not being here, as I have somewhat ignored that in my mocks.  

Lastly, it will break my heart to see Miami get all those picks at #3 that we essentially lost by beating the Texans.  But, at least we got something for the #5 pick.  

Good job!

I totally get your concerns about Samuel. If the dude was 1-2 inches taller, he'd be a no-brainer 1st rounder IMO.
I personally think he can handle outside CB duties in the NFL, but I can see teams labeling him as "just" a slot CB.
What I don't like about a lot of the taller CBs in this class in Rd 2 or later is that none seem to be as good in coverage as Samuel nor as fast.

I'm not a huge fan of Trae Waynes's coverage ability, but I think the team can "get by" with him and Darius Phillips on the outside and then have Samuel in the slot if the Bengals don't want to try Samuel outside. Obviously, if WJ3 can be kept, I'd love WJ3 and Waynes outside with Samuel inside.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 11:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Brother, I couldn't disagree more.  The Bengals will contend for a playoff spot in 2021.

Have you see the schedule?
The team is going to have difficulty getting to 7 wins, let alone getting 9+.
They would have to have a killer FA and draft to give me any confidence they will make the playoffs, especially with Taylor and Anarumo calling the plays still.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Draft:
1-1 (JAX) - Lawrence
1-2 (NYJ) - Sewell

What about Jackson ?  do you cut him or resign him
Reply/Quote
Nice work Ocho. Some like Darrisaw and Slater better than Sewell. We will see. I think Lenoir will be a good DB. My only concern is giving Burrow more weapons at WR and TE. Realistic draft and FA picks I think.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 11:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I totally get your concerns about Samuel. If the dude was 1-2 inches taller, he'd be a no-brainer 1st rounder IMO.
I personally think he can handle outside CB duties in the NFL, but I can see teams labeling him as "just" a slot CB.
What I don't like about a lot of the taller CBs in this class in Rd 2 or later is that none seem to be as good in coverage as Samuel nor as fast.

I'm not a huge fan of Trae Waynes's coverage ability, but I think the team can "get by" with him and Darius Phillips on the outside and then have Samuel in the slot if the Bengals don't want to try Samuel outside. Obviously, if WJ3 can be kept, I'd love WJ3 and Waynes outside with Samuel inside.

Don't you think Mackenzie Alexander would be the slot corner, since you have him being re-signed?   Or is that a one-year transition deal to Samuel?  That makes sense if that is what you were thinking.

I don't know what to think of Waynes, but I am sure not comfortable with him coming in having not taken a snap in over a year and a half.  Plus, I think his injury and BS leading up to it is a bit suspect.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 11:36 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Have you see the schedule?
The team is going to have difficulty getting to 7 wins, let alone getting 9+.
They would have to have a killer FA and draft to give me any confidence they will make the playoffs, especially with Taylor and Anarumo calling the plays still.

Yes, I know the schedule.  And I completely understand not getting one's hopes up after a 4 win season, but don't see the roster as miles away as many view the Bengals.  I saw a couple huge holes that killed the team, and a few aging vets that were overpaid and underperformed.  Those issues will not be present week 1 of 2021, and I like that Jim Turner is gone.

A lot of teams are in "cap hell" and will have a tough time fielding the same team they had in 2020, whereas the Bengals will be much improved.  
Reply/Quote