Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade options on draft day with QB needy teams
(02-21-2021, 12:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It really is amazing what you can get by trading just a few spots if there's a team that desperately wants a QB with your spot.

The Jets traded up to the Colts 3rd spot to draft Sam Darnold.  They gave up the 6th pick, two 2nd round picks that year, and another 2nd round the following year.  So by moving down just three spots the Colts got a total of three 2nd round picks.

This is why I'm all for trading back, especially if we still stay in the top 10.  We have so many holes and that's just too much compensation to pass up.

The only problem is, going off a lot of the current mocks, Zach Wilson and Justin Fields are projected to go in front of us.  But if one of them is still there, and we can find the right trade partner?  Why the hell not?

Could you imagine if we, hypothetically, moved from 5 to 8 and still managed to get Kyle Pitts and picked up 3 extra 2nd round picks?

I totally get this approach. We are bad. We need help lots of places. And if we stay top 10, we likely could still get an impact player (Sewell/Slater at OT, Chase/Smith at WR, Pitts at TE, Parsons at LB, Surtain at CB).

But if it is really a QB class of two, with a drop to Fields/Lance/Jones, AND all those other quality guys in the top 10, it becomes unlikely we get a king's ransom for the #5 pick so someone can take Fields, Jones, or Lance.

Plus, we just have to upgrade the OL. With more than 1 guy. If we have Sewell & Slater roughly equal, or if Sewell is gone by #5, then consider a trade down. But whiffing on both could be devastating for Burrow. 

I think if we have Sewell (or Pitts, Chase, Parsons) as a clearly superior player to the others, I think you just take them at #5 and move on.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trade options on draft day with QB needy teams - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 02-21-2021, 01:27 PM