Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry
(04-14-2021, 01:05 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I'd feel better about taking Sewell had he turned out to be the consensus unbelievable prospect people made him out to be during the season.  Dane Brugler has Sewell as his OT1, but would rank him as a prospect behind three guys from last year.  If Sewell was a Joe Thomas level prospect, I doubt Miami would have traded out of 3.  And it would be hard to take him at 5 knowing you probably could have traded back to 9 and still gotten him.

On the other hand, if they wait until the second round to take an OL, there's a good chance we are right back here next spring needing a tackle.  If you take Sewell, I'm confident he becomes at minimum a productive right tackle and the draft opens up in 2022.

One thing hurting Sewell's ranking is his shorter arms.
But even without that, I think we see some doubt around Sewell and Chase both because neither played in 2020, but they had dominant 2019 season.
A dominant 2020 would have sealed the deal as being the top prospect at their positions, but a decline from 2019 would have hurt their draft stock.

As for there being a good chance being right back here next spring need an OT if we wait until Rd 2 to take one this year, that's debatable.
There's no certainty on any prospect. The expectation is that the risk of panning out or not increases round by round, but there's always going to be some risk.
Jonah Williams was considered to be the safest OL prospect in the 2019 draft class, but he wasn't necessarily considered to have the highest ceiling.

Some teams draft more for potential and accept higher risk, whereas others draft more safely because they can't afford the gamble or know their coaching staff isn't good enough to take on a big project.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - ochocincos - 04-14-2021, 01:17 PM