Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry
(04-13-2021, 05:50 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Watching the games last year and reviewing these stats, two questions:

1. How in the world do they pass on Sewell? ( Or the northwestern kid if for some reason good scouting shows him to be better)

2. Why haven't they spent more money on o-line free agents? That is truly mystifying to me.

Fixing the line to help establish a running game and better protect Burrow has to be the top priority of this draft

It is going to take at least two more drafts and two good free agent seasons for this team to be a true contender.

Right now, they must address the o line before anything else.

1. If you look at the issues on the O-line the problem wasn't so much T as G. Taking a G at 5 seems high whilst T at 5 doesn't solve your interior problems. Maybe you can move Sewell inside but have him learn a new position after a year off doesn't sound that ideal when the QB is coming back from injury. Slater has been slated as G for many but he's been playing outside - at least he was before he opted out as well so would need to adjust positionally too as well as lose the rust. The sweet spot for drafting interior linemen is usually the second and maybe even third round. There seem to be plenty of guys who should be in and around there. If Sewell is BPA take him, but the Bengals shouldn't be drafting for need in the first round when they have an opportunity to draft a difference maker.

2. What free agents? Moton and Scherff were tagged and never hit free agency. Even a guy like Cam Robinson got tagged. I'd have liked Darryl Williams as well but he was re-signed before hitting the open market. That basically left Trent Williams and Joe Thuney and I don't necessarily blame them for passing at those prices. After those guys was there anyone there who was a long term option? I wouldn't have minded Feiler but he'd have been a stop gap like Reiff. Zeitler would have been nice but again wasn't the long term option. I'd have probably tried to sign a few guys who could compete for a spot but basically the Bengals decided they were going to draft a lineman and at that stage they could get a better one in the second or third round then they would in free agency.

(04-14-2021, 01:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Regardless of who the pick at 5 is, I think 38 needs to be OL just from a sheer value standpoint if you are looking at who should be available there.

Looking at who should be available isn't the way to find value.

Value is where the player shouldn't have still been available.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 04-15-2021, 02:00 PM