Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My final pre-draft thoughts on Chase/Sewell
(04-23-2021, 11:52 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Dan Hoard just interviewed Doke Tobin concerning the upcoming 2021 NFL draft.Threw a lot of questions at him in reference to O-linemen and WR in the draft.Tobin was impressed with the talent this draft class has to offer Offensive line.But not so deep on elite WR.He said,and I quote,”they had starter grades on O-linemen in the second and third rounds”.Not so much with the wide receivers.So my question is,If you can get that high quality O-Lineman in those rounds,then why not just go ahead and take Chase at 5? Sounds to me like he may have unintentionally tipped his hand.Watched the interview on YouTube.

Very well could be.  I think we have to be careful with hedging bets on the probability that a "starter" level player is there in rounds 2 and 3.  Mikey justified the 90's drafts as great with giving us stats of how many "starters" the Bengals got from those drafts.  As if treading out inadequate players at key positions made them good because they started the game.  

I do think that he has a point specific to the Bengals.  If Boyd is a true slot, then most of the guys that could be there in the 2nd or 3rd are also slot guys...so they wouldn't start.  If our biggest weaknesses are OL (1st rd) and pass rush (2nd rd) then you can actually get a "starter" at WR in the 3rd that could challenge Tate.  

It may be smoke, but if he really believes you can't get a starter in the 2nd then deal a 4th and get into the back of the 1st and get your starter in Marshall Jr or Bateman.  If Chase is worth passing on a stud LT then talk him up, don't sell me that your goal this draft was to find starters at two positions.  With that logic, lets keep trading back and land starters at WR late 1st, get two of those starters on the OL and a starter on the DL and another starter at TE since a 3rd could beat out CJ.  Then there is FA too.  Instead of the decision maker lamenting the WR class he could just prepare for a starter at WR not swaying the draft by passing on a similar BPA at a bigger need an being afraid to take a good trade package.  Makes you wonder if Chase is the guy.....what happens if Chase goes #4?  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: My final pre-draft thoughts on Chase/Sewell - phil413 - 04-24-2021, 12:18 AM