Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My final pre-draft thoughts on Chase/Sewell
(04-24-2021, 12:23 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: OH, I know. I can build you one hell of a case for Chase. The biggest part of me WANTS to take Pitts or Chase. I can build a case for Pitts, too. But there is a case to be made for Sewell. It's a more conservative approach, and it's the one the Bengals are likely to take. More likely than Chase or Pitts? I don't know. Just a feeling. But then I walso have a feeling that the Falcons take Sewell, leaving us with the choice of Pitts or Chase, in which case I think they'd go Chase. 

I'm not so sure that an organization that operates out of fear would view taking Sewell as the more conservative approach.  They might be scared of being criticized for missing out on a 1K yard/year receiver and looking incompetent.  They may calculate that if Chase can put up mega yards in a losing season, that it'll at least look like they're drafting well and getting close.  Perhaps they're afraid of pissing off Burrow as well.  Perhaps they view taking Chase and feeding him a ton of catches in garbage time as the least bad, realistic outcome this year.

Even if all of this is nonsense and they're trying to build a long term winner uber alles, taking Sewell is not necessarily conservative.  Trying to piece together a top tier O-line is about the best "weapon" that your team can possibly strive for aside from pursuing a QB.  By trying to lock down one of the 5 spots for the long term, you're actually swinging for the fences moreso than trying to take a skill position player who can play now and put up yards.  Sewell is a "ceiling" guy to boot. If you're a franchise who is looking for a best possible outcome "grand slam", you feed your OL room with high ceiling type guys.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: My final pre-draft thoughts on Chase/Sewell - Bilbo Saggins - 04-25-2021, 11:40 PM