Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Step to improvement is personal responsibility - Jordan Article
We all make mistakes in life, either you acknowledge them and try an fix them or ignore them. MJ takes 100% responsibility for play where Burrow was hurt and his poor play in 2020.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-g-michael-jordan-on-play-that-got-joe-burrow-hurt-i-took-it-really-perso

I hope his actions lead to improvement, I get the feeling he is highly motivated to be better and that would be great.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
This guy could do a full 180, become a top 10 guard in this league and will still be talked about like he’s dog shit around here. I hope he does well as he is a monster of a man. I just know he has 0 chance of turning a lot of fans back into supporters.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This guy could do a full 180, become a top 10 guard in this league and will still be talked about like he’s dog shit around here. I hope he does well as he is a monster of a man. I just know he has 0 chance of turning a lot of fans back into supporters.

Have to agree with this Green.  I'm a diehard Ohio State football fan and personally I hold him responsible for Burrows injury.  

Should he have been playing last year?  I don't know that's up for debate.  Did we have a shitty OL coach?  That's not up for debate and he was hired by the current head coach.  So that judgement should be applied to the head coach who everyone gives the benefit of the doubt.  

I think Jordan will eventually be let go or trade to restart his career because he's always going to be known as the offensive lineman that caused the scare on Burrows knee. 
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:52 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Have to agree with this Green.  I'm a diehard Ohio State football fan and personally I hold him responsible for Burrows injury.  

Should he have been playing last year?  I don't know that's up for debate.  Did we have a shitty OL coach?  That's not up for debate and he was hired by the current head coach.  So that judgement should be applied to the head coach who everyone gives the benefit of the doubt.  

I think Jordan will eventually be let go or trade to restart his career because he's always going to be known as the offensive lineman that caused the scare on Burrows knee. 

So a guy rolls low into a QB and you are putting it on the OG?  It's illegal to hit the QB below the waist.  

It was a freak injury, that RARELY happens.  I put a lot of the beating that Burrow took on the O-line, but this wasn't the fault of one player.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This guy could do a full 180, become a top 10 guard in this league and will still be talked about like he’s dog shit around here. I hope he does well as he is a monster of a man. I just know he has 0 chance of turning a lot of fans back into supporters.

I certainly share you hope for this young man but I think a vast majority of our board members will acknowledge any improvement we see.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 01:42 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I certainly share you hope for this young man but I think a vast majority of our board members will acknowledge any improvement we see.

Just like with Jordan, the first two year's of Andre Smith's career were pretty ugly.  Smith turned things around and for a while was one of the better RTs in the league, but he had become such a popular whipping boy that very few fans acknowledged it when he started playing well.  Some NEVER gave him any credit for playing well.

Not predicting Jordan will turn things around, but I am not writing off the chance either.  Just saying that a lot of fans will be slow to acknowledge anything good Michael does,
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 01:42 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I certainly share you hope for this young man but I think a vast majority of our board members will acknowledge any improvement we see.

I'm not entirely convinced of that. I've noticed a pattern on this site, with the draft being the most recent example, of resisting anything that is counter to an original opinion / viewpoint. It seems with some, their initial assessment is so closely held that they simply cannot stray from it, even if the facts change at some point. 

It doesn't appear that the majority operates this way, but there certainly seems to be a rather sizable segment that does. 
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We all make mistakes in life, either you acknowledge them and try an fix them or ignore them. MJ takes 100% responsibility for play where Burrow was hurt and his poor play in 2020.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-g-michael-jordan-on-play-that-got-joe-burrow-hurt-i-took-it-really-perso

I hope his actions lead to improvement, I get the feeling he is highly motivated to be better and that would be great.

Thoughts?

My thought is this all Alcoholics Anonymous Stinking Thinking Recovery catch phrase, and there is nothing wrong with that. 

However, many years the Bengals went for the right Mental Attitude and tried to be more Mental than the other teams.  I would prefer them to have a Good, Hard, Physical Training Camp and come out Hard As Nails.  Instead of Bengals being the Weakest team in NFL, I want to see them The Toughest.  I want to see them Blocking and Tackling people on their butts.  

The Bengals are not going to Think their way out of Last Place.  They are going to have to turn this very weak team into a team of Blocking and Tackling MONSTERS, and that can only come from HARD WORK in Training Camp.  Now the players have been brought in Free Agent or Drafted, and they may just knock Jordan out of a job.  Jordan is not going to talk his way onto the New and Rebuilt Offensive Line. 

Jordan is right on one thing.  Basic Football from Pee Wee to Pros.  PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK.  Many years the Bengals have not done that, and Palmer, Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Burrow got clobbered on every play.  The Bengals quarterbacks get hit more than any other team, and that is a fact. This poor Blocking ties very much into the no play-off wins in 30 years.  This team better BLOCK or Burrow may have as short a career as Greg Cook of only one season.

So nothing against Jordan's talking, but Bengals do nothing but talk.  It's time they hit the old dusty road, take some laps, hit the practice field and turn this weak team into a Tough As Nail Team on Blocking and Tackling.  That will take Hard Work, not just Talk. They have a good young quarterback coming back from a bad injury. An injury I predicted would happen early in season when I saw how bad the blocking was. In fact, there was NO BLOCKING and why Mixon got killed also.  The coaches must kick some butt in Training Camp, and the Focus all Camp must be, PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK, PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK, PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK.  The coaches must kick butt, because they should not ever start the season unless this goal is accomplished. 

Do they still get the sleds out and make Blockers have to push them up THE HILL, as in Paul Brown Days. If not, they should. There should be A HILL, and Blocking Sleds to push up THE HILL. If these Blockers work until they puke in Training Camp, GOOD. They MUST Protect The Quarterback.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 01:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: So a guy rolls low into a QB and you are putting it on the OG?  It's illegal to hit the QB below the waist.  

It was a freak injury, that RARELY happens.  I put a lot of the beating that Burrow took on the O-line, but this wasn't the fault of one player.

I wholeheartedly agree. While young Mr. Jordan's overall performance may have left much to be desired, the injury itself was not a direct result of said performance, but an unfortunate [and unpredictable] aspect of the game itself.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 02:45 PM)Lucidus Wrote: I wholeheartedly agree. While young Mr. Jordan's overall performance may have left much to be desired, the injury itself was not a direct result of said performance, but an unfortunate [and unpredictable] aspect of the game itself.

Wrong.  The Bengals are WEAK.  I could see from Day One that they were going to get their Top Pick QB killed, that he would not complete the season.  I told this to everybody.  The Bengals always being this weak in blocking is NOT an aspect of the game itself.  It is just an aspect of Bengals.   Palmer and Dalton and now Burrow got hit on every play, more than any NFL team.  No NFL team lets it's QB get hit as much as Bengals over the decades, and THIS more than anything explains no play-off wins in 30 years. 

The weak Right Tackle, and Jordan weak at Left Guard, got Burrow killed.  Jordan was actually dumb enough to block his man backwards into Burrow.  However the weak O Line was letting Burrow get hit on every play, so the injury was coming sooner or later. 

Now I make another prediction.  One I do not like to make.  If the Bengals O Line is weak this year also, Joe Burrow will be the next Greg Cook, his career over before it gets started. That would be a waste of a good player and set the Bengals back years as they flounder in Last Place using second rate back ups.  THIS is why this O Line better get TOUGH, if the coaches have to kick their butts up and down the field to do it.  No more Mister Nice Guy with Bengals O Line who couldn't block my sister Sadie.

Other teams win play-offs and Championships because They Can Block. No team cries for Bengals weak blocking. In fact, on sacking a Bengals QB, a Defensive Lineman sat on the Bengals QB and said, " I don't feel sorry for you, Your team gets paid also ". I agree with that player that clobbered a Bengals QB, not Burrow. The Bengals O Line needs to start earning their pay checks, because they are a disgrace to blocking and football.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 02:44 PM)kevin Wrote:  Palmer, Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Burrow got clobbered on every play.  The Bengals quarterbacks get hit more than any other team, and that is a fact.

Actually, no, that is not a fact.  In fact it is kind of the complete opposite of a fact.

During the Palmer era ('04-'10) the Bengals allowed the 9th fewest sacks in the league.

During the Dalton era ('11-'19) the Bengals allowed the 11th fewest sacks.

PFF first started grading team pass blocking in 2007.  For the period from '07 through '15 the Bengals ranked NUMBER ONE in the entire league in team pass blocking.  In 2016 Sports Illustrated chose Paul Alexander as the best O-line coach on the league due to his long history of top pass protection.

The pass blocking was not top of the line every year, but overall the Bengals were one of the best pass blocking teams in the league on a consistent basis.
Reply/Quote
Dehner's article in The Athletic is more detailed.
He lost 30 pounds in the off season and then put back on 20 pounds of muscle with a goal to gain another 10 before training camp
He's been working weekly with Willie Anderson. He talked about how technical Willie's lessons are (and reinforced by Frank Pollock) and strengthening his hip flexors and hamstrings because that is where the power comes from.

https://theathletic.com/2642752/2021/06/10/i-took-it-really-personal-bengals-guard-michael-jordan-motivated-to-move-past-his-darkest-moment/

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I wish him well. That play will be with him forever. It's hard to overcome a lack of confidence, which that had to create for him, from that.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 02:38 PM)Lucidus Wrote: I'm not entirely convinced of that. I've noticed a pattern on this site, with the draft being the most recent example, of resisting anything that is counter to an original opinion / viewpoint. It seems with some, their initial assessment is so closely held that they simply cannot stray from it, even if the facts change at some point. 

It doesn't appear that the majority operates this way, but there certainly seems to be a rather sizable segment that does. 

I can only speak for myself but if Jordan becomes a good Guard and learns how to stay low I will say so.

God don't care who you were son, only who you are. I feel the same. I have somewhat written Jordan off just cause it is 
impossible to play OL well in the NFL if you cannot get low, but if he can pull it off, I will give him props. He is a good guy
and hope he does.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 02:44 PM)kevin Wrote: My thought is this all Alcoholics Anonymous Stinking Thinking Recovery catch phrase, and there is nothing wrong with that. 

However, many years the Bengals went for the right Mental Attitude and tried to be more Mental than the other teams.  I would prefer them to have a Good, Hard, Physical Training Camp and come out Hard As Nails.  Instead of Bengals being the Weakest team in NFL, I want to see them The Toughest.  I want to see them Blocking and Tackling people on their butts.  

The Bengals are not going to Think their way out of Last Place.  They are going to have to turn this very weak team into a team of Blocking and Tackling MONSTERS, and that can only come from HARD WORK in Training Camp.  Now the players have been brought in Free Agent or Drafted, and they may just knock Jordan out of a job.  Jordan is not going to talk his way onto the New and Rebuilt Offensive Line. 

Jordan is right on one thing.  Basic Football from Pee Wee to Pros.  PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK.  Many years the Bengals have not done that, and Palmer, Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Burrow got clobbered on every play.  The Bengals quarterbacks get hit more than any other team, and that is a fact. This poor Blocking ties very much into the no play-off wins in 30 years.  This team better BLOCK or Burrow may have as short a career as Greg Cook of only one season.

So nothing against Jordan's talking, but Bengals do nothing but talk.  It's time they hit the old dusty road, take some laps, hit the practice field and turn this weak team into a Tough As Nail Team on Blocking and Tackling.  That will take Hard Work, not just Talk. They have a good young quarterback coming back from a bad injury. An injury I predicted would happen early in season when I saw how bad the blocking was. In fact, there was NO BLOCKING and why Mixon got killed also.  The coaches must kick some butt in Training Camp, and the Focus all Camp must be, PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK, PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK, PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK.  The coaches must kick butt, because they should not ever start the season unless this goal is accomplished. 

Do they still get the sleds out and make Blockers have to push them up THE HILL, as in Paul Brown Days.  If not, they should.  There should be A HILL, and Blocking Sleds to push up THE HILL.  If these Blockers work until they puke in Training Camp, GOOD.   They MUST Protect The Quarterback.

Did you read the article? It appears you did not.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think it would've taken me more than a week to get it out of my head. Also, didn't realize how poor of a game he was having against WFT before the injury. 5 qb hits he gave up before the injury? Unbelievable that Zac, Turner or Burrow didn't get him out of the game.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 06:11 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: I think it would've taken me more than a week to get it out of my head. Also, didn't realize how poor of a game he was having against WFT before the injury. 5 qb hits he gave up before the injury? Unbelievable that Zac, Turner or Burrow didn't get him out of the game.

Ya he was bad, but WFT did have arguably one of the best Dlines last year. MJ is highly inconsistent and when he’s bad he’s really bad.
Reply/Quote
Good on the young man.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 01:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: So a guy rolls low into a QB and you are putting it on the OG?  It's illegal to hit the QB below the waist.  

Dude didn't go low. He shoved MJ back and then MJ literally tackled him into Burrows leg. The defenders back was facing Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 06:11 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: I think it would've taken me more than a week to get it out of my head.  Also, didn't realize how poor of a game he was having against WFT before the injury.  5 qb hits he gave up before the injury?  Unbelievable that Zac, Turner or Burrow didn't get him out of the game.

Yeah, you're right.  They should have just gave the nod to any one of the All-Pros that they had sitting on the bench that day..  Rolleyes

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote