Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet?
(05-19-2022, 09:46 AM)Stewy Wrote: I have no great love or dislike for Bates.  Not debating he turned it on during the SB.  Not debating he had a great 2020.  But a guy that is so emotional about his contract that he cannot separate business from the ball field, IS A PROBLEM.

That his contract would affect his play, AND then admitted it (I'm sure his agent wanted to smack him), is a HUGE red flag.  It's affecting him now.  He has no leverage in holding out during team activities, he cannot afford to NOT to sign his TAG because he wasn't making 1st rnd pick money to sock away the previous years, and he'll get fined thousands of dollars per day once mandatories start.  On top of that he's picking the wrong team to have money issues with in the first place.  The Bengals do not give in, period.  

Finally, if we sign him to a top 5 contract, what happens in 2 years when new money drops his contract out of the top 10?  His history says he's going to get grumpy, it'll get into his head and it will affect his play.  Bates needs to pull his head out of his ass and separate business from the playing field because he's developing a reputation that's going to follow him the rest of his career.

This is the post right here. Someone else may have said it as well, but I didn't go through the entire thread.

I like Bates a lot and want to keep him. However, admitting that you played poorly because you didn't get an extension is not a good look. Saying you weren't looking to be the highest paid safety and then saying you're willing to sit out instead of play on the tag is also not a good look. Obviously the guy needs to look out for himself. This is a physical sport and it could end at any time. Sign the tag, play your ass off, and get paid by someone next season. Go get the financial security you're looking for. Don't cost yourself money (fines) or build a negative reputation that will follow you.

I get both sides and both sides feel they are doing what's best for themselves. Unfortunately, Bates stands to lose more if he does sit out. I want him here but I understand if he has to leave to find what he wants. I wish him the best, but he needs to sign and play on the tag so he can try to cash in next year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - IcoHolic - 04-29-2022, 04:16 PM
RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - muskiesfan - 05-19-2022, 10:01 AM