Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mass Shooting at San Antonio Elementary School
(06-05-2022, 07:35 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: good. Walk me thru the process real fast.
I've got a clean record and mentally stable, can i go down the street and what can i buy?

It depends on the state in which you reside.  Are you interested in a specific category of firearms?

Quote:Do i need a license first? 

To just buy?  Generally, no.  I believe Illinois has some very strict requirements as far as what you must complete before you buy.  In CA you need to pass a gun safety quiz first unless you are exempt, as I am, do to being a sown peace officer.

Quote:Do i have to register the gun? or is it done automatically if i buy from a federally licensed place of business?

Any FFL (Federal Firearms License), which is every gun store, automatically logs what you are buying, including serial number.  Federal law prohibits a registry and such records have a shelf life, although that time frame for this shelf life changes, and has done so recently.  As far as registering the gun yourself, no.  Some states have passed laws requiring that certain firearms already owned be registered (NY, MA and CA immediately come to mind), but the level of compliance with such requirements has been exceedingly low.  Gun owners fear, IMO correctly, that any registry will only be used to enable confiscation in the future.

Quote:What if i buy one from Jim Bob down the road? will it be registered to me after POS? 
If so, is that his or my responsibility?

Again, depends on the state.  Some states, such as CA, do not allow for PPTs (private party transfers) that do not go through an FFL background check.  In such states if you are selling a firearm to another individual you must find an FFL that is willing to process the background check and hold the firearm for the required waiting period, in CA 10 days.  Of course the FFL makes very little money on such transactions so many FFL's do not bother offering such a service.

Quote:Now, i'm new to collecting and like any other hobby, i go all in, so how many can i buy?

I don't know of a state, even CA, the has a cap on the number of firearms you can own.

Quote:if i buy 20+ over a span of 2-3 weeks, will i get flagged? 

I don't work in federal law enforcement, but this subject is the topic of a lot of speculation.  CA passed a law that you cannot buy more than one non-rimfire firearm every thirty days.  This was done to offset the "panic buying" that proceeds every new, stupid gun law.  But, generally, you can buy as many firearms from an FFL as you can afford, as long as you pass the background check. The "gun show loophole", which does not exist as it is not exclusive to gun shows, is for states that allow private sales without a background check.  Any FFL sale must include a background check.  There are states in which private parties can sell a firearm to another private party without such a check.  I would note that such sales account for a miniscule number of firearms used in a crime.  Most firearms used in a crime are stolen, either from private citizens or prior to point of sale.  hell, here in CA we have rampant rail car theft outside the port of Los Angeles and Long Beach.  Guns are the main target of such thefts.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/train-robberies-are-a-problem-in-los-angeles-and-no-one-agrees-on-how-to-stop-them-11642946401
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mass Shooting at San Antonio Elementary School - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-05-2022, 08:51 PM