Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-14-2023, 10:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What do you mean by this, exactly?  I don't know much about Jefferies, but I'm pretty sure all 212 democrats would vote for him and I think he got all the D votes during the 15 or so rounds republicans took before they allowed McCarthy to assume the position.

I get it, the democrats can't just put their guy in power without R's sending them help, but I'm not sure why you are saying a guy with unanimous party support has cult appeal.  If not Jefferies, is there any democrat that is moderate enough that 5 republicans would prefer to vote for him/her over whatever their own party has planned?

There's this odd celebration of the left's cohesion around Jeffries.  As you yourself admit, you don't know much about him.  Guess what, almost no one does.  Yet, for some reason he's the unanimous pick of the Dems for speaker.  Why?  What has he done or accomplished?  I think we both follow national politics rather closely, how often has this guy's name come up in the past?  I don't think the fact that the Dems are in lockstep around an obviously handpicked successor to Pelosi is something to be inherently proud of.  It reeks of party politics and insider gaming.  There's plenty to lambast the GOP about, but not having an anointed successor is not one I'm going to level against them
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-03-2023, 12:35 PM
RE: Vote to oust McCarthy set for Tues - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-15-2023, 01:44 AM
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-20-2023, 01:10 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-20-2023, 01:42 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-25-2023, 06:18 PM