Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-16-2023, 11:32 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think the calculus they are after is to let the GOP shit the bed and then point it out in 2024. The problem with this tactic is that most voters will forget this even happened by the time that year passes by.

The other problem with this tactic is the damage incurred in the interim.  As I've stated in this thread, this move would not have been possible without nearly every single Dem vote.  Does this mean the Dems are solely responsible for the dysfunction within the GOP (a question only asked for the most gestalt thinkers among us)?  Absolutely not.  But it does mean they must shoulder at least some of responsibility for what follows.

(10-16-2023, 11:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: My viewpoint is that the real craptastic aspect of this whole thing is the idea that an actual centrist candidate getting support from a decent chunk of both parties and becoming speaker is harder to imagine than the house itself turning into a literal warzone.

The only thing I'd actually check to make sure that it wasn't fake news is the above.  Anything from members opening fire on each other to the house itself being burned to ashes to Kid Rock being named the speaker would fall right into my "Yeah, that probably happened" zone.

Those days are well behind us, my friend, if they ever existed at all.  Ideological purity is the current litmus test, not an ability to effectively lead or focus a caucus.  I don't see that changing anytime soon.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-03-2023, 12:35 PM
RE: Vote to oust McCarthy set for Tues - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-16-2023, 12:27 PM
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-20-2023, 01:10 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-20-2023, 01:42 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-25-2023, 06:18 PM