Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-24-2023, 08:40 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Here is how I would describe the Democratic part in this mess. The Republican caucus was looking to essentially assassinate McCarthy like the Roman senators assassinated Julius Caesar. The Democrats saw this and helped smuggle in the blades, the tools to do the job. They egged on the situation in the hopes to reap the benefits of the discord within the GOP caucus.

What we have to hope doesn't happen is what happened to the Roman Republic in the wake of Caesar's death. I know that this elevates McCarthy's role, but keep in mind that for those that study democratic theory there have been some serious warning signs for well over a decade regarding cracks in our framework.

I think that's a rather apt analogy.  As to your second point, I have a hard time reconciling it.  We are a people with a long tradition of personal freedom, sometimes to the point of our detriment.  I have a hard time seeing how an authoritarian government could usurp our current system without a tremendous pushback.  As a fellow 2A guy, I don't see you or I, or most of us going along with a totalitarian system, regardless of its ideological bent.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-03-2023, 12:35 PM
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-20-2023, 01:10 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-20-2023, 01:42 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-24-2023, 12:10 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-25-2023, 06:18 PM