Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-27-2024, 01:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I stand corrected on my previous post on cap space.

It is very confusing. I looked at other teams as well. Based on cap space and practice squad now many teams are way over the cap. I found that comforting knowing we have cap space when everything is accounted for, but team like Browns are 20 million over the cap.

This means post June 1st and after the draft some teams will be forced to cut players. They won't be able to cut enough scrubs, they will cut bigger money cap hits.

You are not wrong. I mean, all the sites use the offseason number. It is technically correct, that is how much space we have via the offseadon rules. Which are different from the in-season rules. 

You are completely correct about it being confusing. It took me months to figure out if the PS counted or not, and when. Why top 51 sometimes and not others. 

And then you have the thing with how the draft picks are calculated. With FA first, the displacement stuff is genetally correct. You cannot just add up the salary for our 10 picks and add it to our cap number. That's not how it will shake out.

The FRP is gonna make $2.7 mil but the cap effect will likely be closer to $1.7 because he is dispacing someone already factored into the cap number instead of an open spot. How much is gonna depend on who gets dropped and what their salary is. 

Once you get to the 3rd round picks, those guys are likely dispacing guys who make equal, or possibly MORE money, and thus could actually help the cap instead of hurting it. 

Picking where we pick this year, I guestimate a cap increase of around $2 mil from all the picks. But how many make the team, who gets cut, all impact it. 

Really, the off season cap numbers do not take into account: 

1) The full 53 man roster (51 only) ($2 mil-ish)
2) The Practice Squad cost ($4 mil-ish) 
3) Cost of high/er priced draftees ($2 mil-ish)

And then you have jerks like me or folks on twitter or the internet throwing out numbers but not saying how they got there or what they did or did not take into account. 

So you get a bunch of different numbers which is very confusing. And that does not get into post June cuts and stuff like that. 

For me, I just try to get to 53 guys with a combo of the guys we have signed who were on the 53 last year & draft pick salaries I know will make the team (Day 1 & Day 2). If that isn't 53, then go to vet min FA types (Tupou, T. Williams, etc) or lower draft picks until you hit 53. Then add in the guestimate for the PS. 

It won't be exact, obviously. But within a mil or two. It most definitely requires a spreadsheet. 
Whenever we sign/cut someone, I plug that new number in & see what happens. 

At the moment, I have 50 guys slotted into the 53 that we have signed + The 1st & 2nd round pick salaries + a vet min guy for 53 (basically a wash with a 3rd round pick) + the PS guess. I put all the Furure's/PS guys onto the PS at their compensation levels for PS at their exp level (11 guys) and went,/with more expensive guys on the last 5 spots. 

I probably am underestimating our space by a little. I don't bake in any savings from late round picks making the roster and my PS estimate is probably a bit high. But, we are talking by $500k for the PS and $200k of saving in most cases for a late pick making it. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 NFL Free Agency Thread - phil413 - 03-11-2024, 01:20 PM
RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - IcoHolic - 03-13-2024, 04:14 AM
RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-27-2024, 03:02 PM