Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(05-02-2024, 08:12 PM)Joelist Wrote: The whole line started out poorly between the radical run/pass imbalance, the radical shotgun/under center imbalance and Burrow being an immobile statue. Once Burrow had more mobility and we went under center more Volson got into a good groove. He also blocked well for Browning (excepting like everyone else the multiple instances where Browning held the ball way too long). 

True, the OL as a whole was bad because of all these things early. It should be a different story if Burrow is healthy for once to 
begin the season and he can play under Center and we can be unpredictable with a running game. OL like to play aggressive and
run block, at least that is usually the case. What is nice is the addition of Zack Moss should really help as he was the best RB last
year running out of the Shotgun while Mixon was one of the worst at this.

Granted, the Colts OL is much better of an OL, but even they would struggle more than normal if they had to be in the Shotgun
all the time and having to play on their heels.

(05-02-2024, 08:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: Olineman can play into their 30’s granted…. But Bengals extending them on their 3rd contract seems like a complete failure to take advantage of having these smart vets and preparing to have their replacements ready.

While Karras is a good character guy, he’s overrated and I think struggled more than people like to remember.

I doubt both get extended. I wouldn’t be surprised if neither did. If I had my choice it would be Cappa. After 3 years and their original signing seemingly being veteran bridges, and the  line being still a “work in progress”, an extension to either of them would signal as bad as it’s been at tackle, it’s been equally bad on the interior when it comes to development.

We can’t keep buying a line.

Why not? We got the dough, when you have good players, reward them. Both Cappa and Karras have played well even if you think
Ted is overrated, he is the best Center we have had since a healthy Kyle Cook. Good Centers don't grow on trees and it will take some
time for Matt Lee to bulk up and get strong in the run game. Excellent pass protector though, which is why he could be a major steal
down the road.

(05-02-2024, 09:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Karras was excellent down the stretch last season.

I could definitely see the Bengals making an exception and extending him another year or two despite him being on the wrong side of 30. It would give Matt Lee plenty of time to develop behind a solid vet.

Yes sir Nicomo. Spot on, Matt Lee will need some time and Ted is still playing well. Extend both Karras and Cappa and upgrade LG whether 
that is with Volson or somebody else. But Volson very well could be the answer if he starts out this season like he left off late last season.

We will see, I would still bring in another Guard/Center in Connor Williams, Dalton Risner or Andrus Peat to compete.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 NFL Free Agency Thread - phil413 - 03-11-2024, 01:20 PM
RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - IcoHolic - 03-13-2024, 04:14 AM
RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-03-2024, 02:13 PM