Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Dalton & McCarron are in a very awkward situation
(01-07-2016, 02:50 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Right now?  Yes.  But you have to wonder how Alex Smith would have handled Harbaugh leaving and being replaced by an instant lame-duck one year coach while half the team retired out of nowhere.  I'm not defending Krapernick, but we've seen Alex Smith play lots of QB for the 49ers and he was as much a beneficiary of the Harbaugh effect as Krapernick was.

I would agree with you if A.Smith hadn't played so well for Andy Reid. I think it's more likely that Smith just fell victim to bad coaching (Singletary). 

(01-07-2016, 02:15 PM)Ravage Wrote: 2000: New Orleans Saints, Jeff Blake playing at a Pro Bowl level in his first season in New Orleans breaks his foot. Replaced by Aaron Brooks. Blake never gets his job back.

2001 : New England Patriots, Drew Bledsoe, former #1 overall pick, arguably a top 10 NFL QB at the time gets hurt. Replaced by second year 6th round QB Tom Brady. Bledsoe never gets his job back and is traded to Buffalo during the off-season.

2004: Pittsburgh Steelers, Tommy Maddox (a year removed from being named NFL comeback player of the year) is injured and replaced by rookie QB Ben Roethlisberger. Maddox never gets his job back.

I could keep going, but please tell me how you "always go with history" again?

I'm in no way advocating that I want McCarron to replace Dalton.  McCarron's looked good...for a backup QB. But to assert that established starters (especially at qb) are immune to losing their job due to injury is a fallacy.

First off, Jeff Blake wasn't on Dalton's level. He was a 30 year old journeyman at that point. Aaron Brooks came in and played better than Blake. So it was easy to stick with the younger guy who played better. Has McCarron outplayed Dalton? Nope. Not even close.

Dalton is better than Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe was coming off 2 straight pretty weak (and losing) seasons. Brady came in and played 12 regular season games (McCarron played 4). Again, Brady outplayed Bledsoe. Has McCarron outplayed Dalton?

The last example is silly. Roethlisberger was a 1st round pick, drafted to be the future of the franchise. Maddox's injury just made the future arrive a bit sooner. McCarron wasn't drafted with the intention of replacing Dalton.

(01-07-2016, 02:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dude the only reason they are considered big games is because they are the only games on TV... the Wins and Losses all count the same.

Dude I guess you didn't read the post you quoted. Of the 8 prime time games we've played over the last 2 seasons, which ones weren't big games? I'll wait.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dalton & McCarron are in a very awkward situation - Shake n Blake - 01-07-2016, 03:19 PM