Poll: Quick rebound or lengthy rebuild?
This poll is closed.
We can rebound quickly with smart moves in draft/FA, plus some coaching changes
78.43%
40 78.43%
It's going to be a long 3+ year rebuilding process to get this team back to contender status
21.57%
11 21.57%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound?
This year is simply a combination of a lot of things. Missing on high draft picks the last few years, having an inept kicker, being outcoached finally caught up with us, and injuries have been pretty crucial as well. But also remember that this is a 5-year playoff team with a nice core of players who are in their primes.

I think this year has exposed the coaches and players that do need to go. But I think all can be easily replaced and we can return to prominence next season.

Replacing the kicker goes a long way. Nugent has arguably cost us 2 wins this year alone. I think McDaniels replacing Marvin will help drastically too.

I think we use our top 10 pick on a DL. Others have said using the pick on OL or playmakers like a WR or Peppers from Michigan, but I think DL is the safest pick. There are plenty of quality OL in recent drafts. Right now, Peko and MJ need to go. A DL like Allen, Barnett, or Garrett could go a long way in keeping our CBs and LBs from being exposed week in and week out.

Our second and third round picks can be used to address the OL (preferably a C) and LB. I would go with the LSU C in the 2nd if he is still there. I think we could get a solid LB in the 3rd and rely on a revamped DL to help alleviate the weakness at LB another year.

Other holes can be filled from decent FA signings. Robert Mathis and Anquan Boldin come to mind as decent signings who can both play and mentor the youngsters.

Overall, I think these changes will get us back to the playoffs next year barring any major injuries.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - CincyWestside - 12-02-2016, 12:42 PM