Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Difference between the Bengals and Pittsburg?
(01-11-2017, 01:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I believe there is:  It’s all about physical play. 

Now like any other comparison we can make, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.  What one viewer sees as Pittsburgh’s ability to impose their will physically over their opponents, another viewer simply sees lowbrow, dirty play from the Steelers.  Both of these sentiments are unequivocally true.  You see, the Steelers play every opponent the same way:  They want to bash their brains in and make them like it.  It’s an intimidation factor few teams possess.  Where New England intimidates their opponents by playing mistake-free football with flawless execution, Pittsburgh doesn’t approach games that way.  In their world, playing mistake-free football isn’t as important as playing fast, physically, and hitting harder than the other team… 

…and therein lies the “secret” of the Steelers.  If they are running a little faster, hitting a little harder, and holding a little longer, pure execution isn’t so crucial.  The Steelers can be “off” and still win simply by wearing an opponent down or causing the other team to commit personal foul penalties out of frustration. 

How did the Bengals react to Ryan Shazier’s spearing of Giovani Bernard?  How did the Bengals react to Kimo von Oelhoffen?  Were there any repercussions for dirty play against Ken Anderson, Keith Rivers, or Kevin Huber?  Did the Browns utter more than a whimper of protest when Antonio Brown kicked their punter in the face?  How do the Bengals react to this dry spell against the Steelers?  Here’s what I hear:  “Ho hum.  Giggle!  Giggle!  You know, it’s the Steelers and that’s, you know, the way they play and we just need to make more plays and execute better. Giggle!  Snort!” 

I promise that response is the worst response possible.  It’s a loser’s excuse.   

When Mike Tomlin – or Bill Cowher or Chuck Noll – was asked about the Steelers when they have bad first half, how do they react?  No giggles.  No snorts.  I hear things like, “We need to play faster and more physical.”  

The Cincinnati Bengals are not the New England Patriots and Marvin Lewis is no Bill Belichick.  The Bengals will never achieve flawless execution so playing faster and more physical is the answer to beating Pittsburgh – or anyone else.  In 2009 this happened and the Bengals swept the AFC North, then promptly switched to an execution type scheme and got blown out by the Jets in consecutive weeks.

Play fast, play hard!

One thing Bill B. does prove is you don't have to a ravng maniac on the sidelines, or at press conferences to by great! He is even more laid back than Lewis, but 10 times the coach.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Difference between the Bengals and Pittsburg? - bengalguy71 - 01-11-2017, 02:18 PM