Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds July Game Thread 2024
(07-19-2024, 08:44 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Just read a story on the ESPN app that our new #2OA draft pick just signed and got $9.25 million, beating out Paul Skenes' signing from last year. An organization that has been notoriously tight in the wallet for the past few years is giving out THAT much?! Is the plan to fast track him to MLB like Skenes? I don't know enough about the kid other than he has a nice FB and a scary good slider. Is his stuff refined enough to fast track him? If it is, and they believe it is..does that make any of our current MiLB pitchers expendable for trades THIS TDL? I know the saying "you can never have too much pitching" but the Reds also have "you can never have too many MIFs" right now as well and not enough "you can never have too many OFs". Does a big $$$ rookie signing push any of Chase Petty, Brandon Williamson, or Connor Philips into the "we can make a deal" talks I hope they are making this TDL?

Mike Leake did pretty good going straight from college to MLB.

The problem with the trade deadline is that with the expanded playoffs, more teams feel that they are still in it so there are less teams selling and the price is usually too high for mediocre talent.

Plus, with the sudden arrival of Hinds . . . what position should they trade for? Outside of relievers, bench players and maybe 1st base, I don't see too much of an upgrade available.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2024, 08:44 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Just read a story on the ESPN app that our new #2OA draft pick just signed and got $9.25 million, beating out Paul Skenes' signing from last year. An organization that has been notoriously tight in the wallet for the past few years is giving out THAT much?! Is the plan to fast track him to MLB like Skenes? I don't know enough about the kid other than he has a nice FB and a scary good slider. Is his stuff refined enough to fast track him? If it is, and they believe it is..does that make any of our current MiLB pitchers expendable for trades THIS TDL? I know the saying "you can never have too much pitching" but the Reds also have "you can never have too many MIFs" right now as well and not enough "you can never have too many OFs". Does a big $$$ rookie signing push any of Chase Petty, Brandon Williamson, or Connor Philips into the "we can make a deal" talks I hope they are making this TDL?

It was still well below slot. We'll have to see what Bazzana and Condon sign for, but it will almost certainly be more than this. I think Condon will be in the 10M range.

Besides, 9.25M isn't even that much money in MLB. Remember, in the MLB, higher draft picks don't get more per year than other rookies. Pre-arbitration salary is the same for every player. Approximately $750,000.

Plus, minor leaguers only get paid between 675 and 1200 dollars per week (27 week season)
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/how-much-are-minor-league-baseball-players-paid-in-2024/

So, in essence, every rookie signs a 3 to 5 year contract (depending on how long they're in the minors) worth ~2.5 million dollars plus whatever signing bonus they get.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2024, 04:19 PM)CJD Wrote: It was still well below slot. We'll have to see what Bazzana and Condon sign for, but it will almost certainly be more than this. I think Condon will be in the 10M range.

Besides, 9.25M isn't even that much money in MLB. Remember, in the MLB, higher draft picks don't get more per year than other rookies. Pre-arbitration salary is the same for every player. Approximately $750,000.

Plus, minor leaguers only get paid between 675 and 1200 dollars per week (27 week season)
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/how-much-are-minor-league-baseball-players-paid-in-2024/

So, in essence, every rookie signs a 3 to 5 year contract (depending on how long they're in the minors) worth ~2.5 million dollars plus whatever signing bonus they get.

Condon signed for the same $9.25 mill signing bonus. Also Fairchild is back and Rios was dfa'd.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Getting some gifts here. Fairchild picked off but they fail at it so he's safe, ends up scoring. Now Stephenson on base from an error. Make them pay.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
That interference call is such garbage. The ball was already to the SS just before Stephenson crossed in front of him.
Reply/Quote
Same old Montas, pitching well then the wheels fall off. Walk, single, wild pitch, single and home run. Waste of money, put him on the trade waiver.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2024, 08:52 PM)cinci4life Wrote: That interference call is such garbage. The ball was already to the SS just before Stephenson crossed in front of him.

That's 100% interference, Cinci. If the guy didn't pull up from trying to field that ball, Stephenson's hip takes his head off.

Reply/Quote
Another home run given up by Montas. 2 hits and 1 run against a pitcher with a 1-9 record and close to 6.0 era, what a surprise.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2024, 09:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's 100% interference, Cinci. If the guy didn't pull up from trying to field that ball, Stephenson's hip takes his head off.

I think you need to go watch the replay again.
Reply/Quote
2 hits and 1 run against a pitcher with a 1-9 record and close to 6.0 era. Reds can not hit lefties, period.
Reply/Quote
And once again the Reds make a 20 game starter with a 1-9 record and 5.35 ERA into Nolan Ryan. This guy is hanging onto a MLB starting pitcher role by a fingernail with an average ERA over last four seasons of like 5.50.

Reds cough up get right game after get right game to the opposition.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Never thought we'd see the tying run on deck and possibly coming up to bat.
Reply/Quote
The Reds fell short yesterday. I still have faith in a great second half.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Montas - geeezzzz I just don't know?? 4.2 innings pitched, 7 runs, 6 hits, 3 walks, 2 HR's = rocked, again

He's 31 years old, not ancient but..... 4-8 this season with a 4.85 ERA Carrer 41-43 with a 4.02 ERA He's just not a upper tier guy, not even sure he's a middle tier guy ??

I'm hoping Lowder and Williamson can shove him off the roster next season.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2024, 06:02 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Condon signed for the same $9.25 mill signing bonus. Also Fairchild is back and Rios was dfa'd.

Honestly, that kind of makes me feel better about the Burns pick haha. If Condon signed for 10M or something, then it would feel like the Reds drafted the bargain player.

The fact that they signed for the same bonus tells me that the Reds talked to Burns people, talked to Condon's people, knew they wanted the same amount of money, and still chose Burns because they viewed him as the superior prospect, irrespective of cost.

That's comforting :)
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2024, 08:59 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: Same old Montas, pitching well then the wheels fall off. Walk, single, wild pitch, single and home run. Waste of money, put him on the trade waiver.

It's starting to feel like Montas should be a 3 to 4 inning opener to a bullpen day.

It's sad, but you just can't trust that guy for a 3rd (or maybe even 2nd) time through the lineup.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2024, 12:35 PM)CJD Wrote: Honestly, that kind of makes me feel better about the Burns pick haha. If Condon signed for 10M or something, then it would feel like the Reds drafted the bargain player.

The fact that they signed for the same bonus tells me that the Reds talked to Burns people, talked to Condon's people, knew they wanted the same amount of money, and still chose Burns because they viewed him as the superior prospect, irrespective of cost.

That's comforting :)

Until you remember they let Wade Miley walk for nothing in order to save $10m, and traded Sonny Gray who was under control for 2yr/$22m.... only to then spend $9.5m on Mike Minor rather than keep one of them.

Or that they spent $51m this year on Jeimer Candelario, Emilio Pagan, Frankie Montas, and Nick Martinez... and with that same average you could have paid Mookie Betts and Luis Castillo.

They're just not a good FO.

Reply/Quote
Brent Suter partially tore a muscle in his throwing side lat. Depending on the severity of the tear it can be anywhere from a month (Scherzer last year came back in a month for the playoffs and got lit up, so clearly not 100%) to season ending based off what various sites and sources say on the injury.

Guys recently also missed 7 weeks, 3 months, and a guy this year (Merrill Kelly) got hurt Apr 15th and still isn't pitching. So my guess is we probably saw the last of Brent Suter this year.

Reply/Quote
Always nice to put up a couple in the first.

Reply/Quote
We can’t move Hinds up to 7th yet?
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote