Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds July Game Thread 2024
Reds do not play in Cincinnati on 4th of July. However on the 5th of July the Detroit Tigers come to Cincinnati for Friday, Saturday, Sunday of 4th weekend. Reds should have big crowds and rake in some money. Reds made money Memorial Weekend, now make some money 4th of July. The Reds are at NY Yankees the 4th, but only Yankees make money off that.

Detroit at Cincinnati over 4th Weekend could be called the I-75 series. I call it THE SPARKY ANDERSON SERIES. Sparky won World Series with Reds and Tigers. I saw a Reds thing on TV where Rose and Bench said the Big Red Machine started before Sparky, and they are so wrong. Dave Bristol didn't have the Reds close to winning anything. Sparky came in and did something about Reds awful pitching and awful defense. Rose and Bench are correct the Reds had hitting under Bristol, but Sparky quickly got rid of hitters to bring in pitching and defense. Sparky turned not so good Reds into a World Series team and not so good Detroit into a World Series team with a never ending focus on Pitching and Defense improvements for both teams.

I'm very much looking forward to the Sparky Anderson Series over The 4th Weekend in Cincinnati next weekend. Detroit Tigers at Cincinnati Reds. Not that far for Tigers Fans to come down I-75 to Cincy.

OK, July starts Monday. I'm allowed to look ahead to which games are home games for Reds close to 4th of July. I see GABP will have what I call The Sparky Anderson Series. Hall Of Fame Sparky was best manager Reds ever had, and one of the best Detroit ever had also. The game is not just hitting. Sparky improved Reds and Tigers pitching and defense greatly from what it was before he took over these teams and won World Series in NL Cincy and AL Detroit. So Detroit at Cincy is a great 4th Weekend match-up.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'm just hoping they can somehow get the offense going in July.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2024, 08:30 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm just hoping they can somehow get the offense going in July.

Agreed and I'd like to see them establish homefield advantage by having a winning record at GABP which would mean they are winning more series against teams.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2024, 09:11 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Agreed and I'd like to see them establish homefield advantage by having a winning record at GABP which would mean they are winning more series against teams.

For sure ThumbsUp

After this Yankees road trip (hoping they can squeeze out one win) they'll have a 10 game homestand against mediocre and just bad competition. They badly need to make hay while the sun is shining!!! like 7-3 or even 8-2. Get some positive going before the break.
Reply/Quote
Well it's halfway thru and change and the Reds are in not so great a shape.

39-45, 11 games out of first and 6 below .500.

They have raised up a bit to 24th in team batting average .229 They're 8th in strike outs - 744 our team OBP is good for 21st place .305

India, who's been on fire is leading the way with a .278 BA, Fraley, who's not an everyday player in 2nd with .274 We need Sterr, EDLC, and Marte to turn it on - NOW

Our team ERA is 3.86 good for 11th place. Pitching by and large has not been our problem. It's the ice cold bats. Benson with the 5th most at bats on the team is hitting .190

If they plan on having any meaning to the post ASB season they have to turn it on fast.
Reply/Quote
They'll get it together just as soon as EDLC becomes a free agent and gets paid a gazillion bucks by the Yankees.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
6-4 on Mondays
5-8 on Tuesdays
4-9 on Wednesdays
4-3 on Thursdays - 1 rain out(vs Mil)
8-5 on Fridays
7-7 on Saturdays
5-9 on Sundays

They are 0-4 in the last game of a four game series with their lone rainout coming on a scheduled 4th game.

Today's starter for the Yankees had a pretty amazing May, in fact it was the greatest ever May by a Yankee.
6-0 in 6 starts
38.2 innings pitched
14 hits
12 walks
44 K
2 solo homers
3 earned runs
0.70 ERA

He eventually went to a 9-1 record and a 2.03 ERA a couple of weeks ago before getting crushed in his last two starts
vs Baltimore 1.1 IP - 8 H - 2 BB - 1 K - 7 R - 7 ER - 1 HR
@ NY Mets 4.1 IP - 4 H - 4 BB - 2 K - 5 R - 5 ER - 1 HR
Now he's 9-3 with a 3.15 ERA
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Lets hope Ashcraft doesn't give up 8 runs in the first two innings like usual.
Reply/Quote
Gil walks India on four pitches . . . De La Clueless swings and misses on what should have been ball one.

I might start monitoring my blood pressure while watching this team.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Nice to see our pitcher not throw 20+ pitches in the first.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2024, 08:24 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Nice to see our pitcher not throw 20+ pitches in the first.

I was glad to see them put 33 pitches on Gil. Even though they're still hitless, they're laying off of the stuff off of the plate, well . . . outside of Elly.

Edited to add 33 pitches AFTER 2 innings. Still a no hitter after 3 innings and 47 pitches.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Ashcraft has given up a shift single through SS by Judge, a shift bunt single and a walk to Soto, which is understandable.

He seemed to really hunker down after the error by Marte. He looked like "I have to do this myself" . . . as a former pitcher, I've had that mindset when I had to really focus.

Excellent ground ball to 2nd base by Candelerio after the sweet triple by Elly. That's winning baseball. Take it when they give it to you.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Willie B with a homer!
Reply/Quote
The Elly show in NY tonight.

Reply/Quote
Another great throw by Fairchild. What the hell was that, a throw to no where and let another runner get into scoring position.
Reply/Quote
Cardinals beat the Pirates 7-4. If the Reds can hold off the Yankees, they'll only be a half of a game behind the Pirates.

Come on Sam Moll.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
They’re going to blow a 5 run lead. Unbelievable.

Reply/Quote
Benson was just screwed out of a walk.
Reply/Quote
India double streak sadly ended. EDLC with a 3B and a HR is a nice day.

Marte somehow is managing to make Candelario look competent at 3B... 3 errors in 5 games.

Nice to get a W against the Yankees to open the series, but I don't think we'll get a ton more of those with 5 hits and 2 errors.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Great win and a great job from Ashcraft!!!
Reply/Quote