Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Chase not Practicing
(08-28-2024, 05:52 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Based on prior history why should we give the Bengals the benefit of the doubt here? 

Bates, Higgins, now Chase...why is it always such a struggle to get these guys signed? 

Burrow, Pratt, Wilson. Hubbard, Hendrickson, 

Everyone knew Bates was gone after the Bengals drafted Hall. Bringing in players such as Orlando Brown costs money.

And don't disrespect Higgins and Bates by placing them in Chase's class. Each of them balked "slightly" at getting franchised. Jamar has 2-years left on his contract. 

If this happens next year, I'm right there with you. But for now I can see ABSOLUTELY nothing to blame the Bengal's FO for IRT the Chase situation.. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
History shows us the Bengals pay their best players I'm not terribly concerned.

I am concerned however that eventually the Bengals FO would need to sell due to rising costs. Which majority of the fans would be happy with.

I think it gets done before the 1st game.
[Image: 274466608_10158743148308176_802682179485...e=66EA8437]
Reply/Quote
I side with Bengals FO on this one too.... This should have been done next offseason.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 05:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Half the fans.

"We don't know for certain what JC's demands are. We've heard he wants to be the highest-paid non-QB in the NFL with 2-years left on his contract. All we know is it's the Bengal's fault".

Don't we have to go by there track record. As Marin Lewis would say "I see better than I hear". The Bengals have not done a good job recently of communicating with players or in my opinion treating them very well. It is a business but it's a business with people that put alot of hard work in to be able to perform at this level. There's the poor communication stories from guys like Whitworth, Dunlap and Jonah. I mean Whitworth,  Bates and now Tee are probably a big reason why Chase wants paid now. All these guys are either tagged or on the last year of they're deal and we're just like "we'll just draft your replacement and let you walk in a year". Which not only have the two that have gone to completion worked out poorly for us but it is clearly mentally taxing on these players.

On a side note. What is up with this 10%equity thing. I know it just passed and I only heard about it this morning. But it was sold as a way for teams to get liquid cash to pay for guarantees for players. I thought this is what the Bengals need only to hear that it passed on a vote of 31-1. Any guesses who the 1 vote was? Not a good look to have your excuse on guaranteed money to be limited cash supply then vote no on a potential fix for said problem.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 05:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Burrow, Pratt, Wilson. Hubbard, Hendrickson, 

Everyone knew Bates was gone after the Bengals drafted Hall. Bringing in players such as Orlando Brown costs money.

And don't disrespect Higgins and Bates by placing them in Chase's class. Each of them balked "slightly" at getting franchised. Jamar has 2-years left on his contract. 

If this happens next year, I'm right there with you. But for now I can see ABSOLUTELY nothing to blame the Bengal's FO for IRT the Chase situation.. 

And when Ja'Marr puts up 1300+ yards and the salary cap jumps 20m Chase's price tag per year goes up and the years to spread it out goes down. 

Jessie Bate's situation was similar I believe. Before his 4th rookie season he was asking for 14m aav Bsngals offered him 12... well he had a solid year balled out in the playoffs the salary cap jumped and his price went up to 16m aav.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 06:03 PM)QueenCity Wrote: History shows us the Bengals pay their best players I'm not terribly concerned.

I am concerned however that eventually the Bengals FO would need to sell due to rising costs.  Which majority of the fans would be happy with.

I think it gets done before the 1st game.

Maybe the NFL's new decision to allow private equity firms to purchase up to 10% of the ownership will help. I have no idea, but it might be a source of necessary funds.
Reply/Quote
If he doesnt practice, he shouldnt play.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 05:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'd say Katie and Troy Blackburn are more at fault for a lot of this contract related stuff than Mike Brown. 

Remember the Whitworth story about how Mike Brown wanted to extend him and Katie and Troy literally ****** up the entire process to death? 

They are a clown show who show an inability to evolve with how NFL contracts work these days. Players want guaranteed money and they just refuse to do it. 

Someone is to blame, and it's not the fans, it's not the coaches or players either lol. Whoever is doing this IMO is messing up the Burrow era. We are living in the Joe Burrow era, not anyone else's. If they want to test Ja'marr, go ahead, you are throwing our SB chances into the trash can lol. He is not setting an example or trend, when you are the best at your job you don't have to play by other's rules.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 06:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: Maybe the NFL's new decision to allow private equity firms to purchase up to 10% of the ownership will help. I have no idea, but it might be a source of necessary funds.

Wasn't Mike the only one to say vote no to that? lol
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 06:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: Maybe the NFL's new decision to allow private equity firms to purchase up to 10% of the ownership will help. I have no idea, but it might be a source of necessary funds.

I don't know how it's going to work in sports but private equity usually is the beginning of the end of a private business. It's not a good thing.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 06:08 PM)Synric Wrote: And when Ja'Marr puts up 1300+ yards and the salary cap jumps 20m Chase's price tag per year goes up and the years to spread it out goes down. 

Jessie Bate's situation was similar I believe. Before his 4th rookie season he was asking for 14m aav Bsngals offered him 12... well he had a solid year balled out in the playoffs the salary cap jumped and his price went up to 16m aav.

And that will be a "good problem" to have. Because we know if we sign Jamar this year and he out performs it a coupe years down the road there is NO WAY he'd ever want to renegociate; he's accept the terms of the contract.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

I was thinking the same. But we were the 1 team to vote no. Maybe we still take advantage of it but the no vote doesn't fill me with optimism it will be any time soon.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 06:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And that will be a "good problem" to have. Because we know if we sign Jamar this year and he out performs it a coupe years down the road there is NO WAY he'd ever want to renegociate; he's accept the terms of the contract.

I woudl be surprised if the way we're acting with Ja'marr right now means they A) want to win multiple super bowls or if B) they even want to win one.

After winning a SB I would suspect we wouldn't pay Ja'marr his next big contract, it'd just be "Burrow and the rest". I think we're playing with fire in not giving him what he wants in the short term, we keep stacking up the years with Burrow and he'll suddenly be one of the vets lol.
Reply/Quote
The team is enabling this. Kyle Shannahan in SF just said Ayuik is now “cleared” by doctors. They basically covered for him not to practice during the pre season but have now laid the groundwork to begin fining him if he missed practices. When asked if he would he replied he’d deal with that if the situation comes up. We need to start fining Chase under conduct detrimental to the team for each practice he misses from this point onward. If he doesn’t practice next week we should suspend him for 3 games as allowed under the CBA so he can’t collect game checks.

The team has no duty to both renegotiate his contract two years early and make him the highest paid player at his position. He is not negotiating in good faith and essentially wants it all. While Taylor protected him all preseason that time needs to end because it shows a clear bias towards him that we can’t and shouldn’t provide to others in the future. Start holding him accountable with the tools in the CBA and if that kills the relationship so be it

When Hill began to be a problem in KC about his contract wanting raises constantly they shipped him to Miami. We shouldn’t be beyond moving him if we can’t get control of this situation. Two 1’s and a player could go a long way and you then resign Tee at 30 per and move on. People say without Chase we won’t win a Super Bowl but I say with this circus we won’t either. We paid Burrow to be able to do what Mahomes does and that’s to win with what he has…we need to trust that decision.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 06:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: The team is enabling this. Kyle Shannahan in SF just said Ayuik is now “cleared” by doctors. They basically covered for him not to practice during the pre season but have now laid the groundwork to begin fining him if he missed practices. When asked if he would he replied he’d deal with that if the situation comes up. We need to start fining Chase under conduct detrimental to the team for each practice he misses from this point onward. If he doesn’t practice next week we should suspend him for 3 games as allowed under the CBA so he can’t collect game checks.

The team has no duty to both renegotiate his contract two years early and make him the highest paid player at his position. He is not negotiating in good faith and essentially wants it all. While Taylor protected him all preseason that time needs to end because it shows a clear bias towards him that we can’t and shouldn’t provide to others in the future. Start holding him accountable with the tools in the CBA and if that kills the relationship so be it

When Hill began to be a problem in KC about his contract wanting raises constantly they shipped him to Miami. We shouldn’t be beyond moving him if we can’t get control of this situation. Two 1’s and a player could go a long way and you then resign Tee at 30 per and move on. People say without Chase we won’t win a Super Bowl but I say with this circus we won’t either. We paid Burrow to be able to do what Mahomes does and that’s to win with what he has…we need to trust that decision.

A Chase trade would be a fun discussion that I hope never happens. Who would be interested? I want to say the Raiders but they don't have a QB so I doubt they want to deal 1s. Rams and Cooper Kupp, a 1st, and a couple 2s wouldn't be the worst idea. 

Edit: Scary Terry in Washington and a couple 1sts... It would be mean sending Chase to Washington.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 06:41 PM)Synric Wrote: A Chase trade would be a fun discussion that I hope never happens. Who would be interested? I want to say the Raiders but they don't have a QB so I doubt they want to deal 1s. Rams and Cooper Kupp, a 1st, and a couple 2s wouldn't be the worst idea. 

I would take Davante a 1 and a 2. I’d see if TEN would send Hopkins and something similar. NE was in on Ayuik, see if you could get 2 1’s and a piece.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 06:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: The team is enabling this. Kyle Shannahan in SF just said Ayuik is now “cleared” by doctors. They basically covered for him not to practice during the pre season but have now laid the groundwork to begin fining him if he missed practices. When asked if he would he replied he’d deal with that if the situation comes up. We need to start fining Chase under conduct detrimental to the team for each practice he misses from this point onward. If he doesn’t practice next week we should suspend him for 3 games as allowed under the CBA so he can’t collect game checks.

Maybe the Brown family should sell the team if they are more concerned with money than winning championships. Ja'Marr Chases talent mixed with his connection with Burrow makes him invaluable to us. I'm not sure there is another guy out there that could do for us what he does outside of maybe Jefferson (with the Burrow connection in mind). If he wants paid right now with what is league value at top of the market money. Then you shut the F up and pay the man his money. It's that simple. You want to win championships then show the guy that has changed our franchise.

I don't mean to get all worked up over this but our window is now. Pay the man and enjoy the show.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 06:55 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Maybe the Brown family should sell the team if they are more concerned with money than winning championships. Ja'Marr Chases talent mixed with his connection with Burrow makes him invaluable to us. I'm not sure there is another guy out there that could do for us what he does outside of maybe Jefferson (with the Burrow connection in mind). If he wants paid right now with what is league value at top of the market money. Then you shut the F up and pay the man his money. It's that simple. You want to win championships then show the guy that has changed our franchise.

I don't mean to get all worked up over this but our window is now. Pay the man and enjoy the show.

You don’t give people contracts with two years remaining. No one else is demanding them, Parsons asked in Dallas was told no and he’s there. The Chiefs, a winning organization, traded Hill for similar behavior.
Reply/Quote
Quick question, do a lot of high profile top players get an extension after their third year?

If not, would signing Chase to an extension after his third year set a bad precedent for the rest of the league kind of like the fully guaranteed contract that Watson got from Cleveland. I know that no other QB’s have gotten fully guaranteed contracts since but they are pretty big with the guaranteed money that’s getting thrown around.

If so, then sign the man and move on
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 06:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And that will be a "good problem" to have. Because we know if we sign Jamar this year and he out performs it a coupe years down the road there is NO WAY he'd ever want to renegociate; he's accept the terms of the contract.

Chase would 100% honor his new contract if the Bengals gave him one.  He would never think about sitting out with years left on his contract while demanding a huge raise.  He is beyond pulling a diva act like that.
Reply/Quote