Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Chase not Practicing
This isn't about Sewell. Team Sewell can take the high road because they were proven right long before this hold in and out and in again.

Even the meme came to fruition.

This is about Chase. A career average (little over) 1200 yard receiver wanting to be paid like those that has outshined him since he was drafted. A receiver that probably should have done this next offseason and one who in a weird way does not have confidence to "bet on himself".

My personal issue is the wishy washy tactic. He needs to commit to one or another. It's getting to the point where it's disrespectful to Zac and I think that's wrong. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 02:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Peak Karen.

There's nothing in his contract that says he MUST keep playing football. Just that if he keeps playing football he must play for the Bengals and not another team. It's not slavery.

The NFL largely doesn't go to courts but handles things through their grievance system. Good luck on trying to avoid the fact that NFL teams just cut >1,100 players that were under contract.

Also lets say you DO just do the most absurd shit and try to take a player to actual court for a lawsuit over this. No good player would EVER sign with you again, and everyone else in FA would demand more and more guaranteed to sign with you. Nobody wants to work for a PoS and the great players have too many choices to settle. You'll find yourself with a lot of 1st rounders Eli Manning...ing you.

No player would ever sign that. How do you prove it's a hold-in and not a soft tissue injury? If the player has the ability to have the last word that it's an injury and not a hold-in then it's pointless for it to exist in the contract. If a team has the last word that it's a hold-in and not an injury, then a player would be giving a team complete power to force them to play through injury or risk losing millions of dollars.

Hell, look at the Reds. They're constantly telling players they should come back and play despite them needing surgery or not fully healed yet and then the injury lingers or gets re-aggravated.

Couple notes. They can force his compliance until he files paperwork that he is retiring via fines. Refusal to practice or play would constitute a breach of contract but there are remedies for this within the CBA (fines) so not lawsuit would be required. If he were to retire they can also recover part of his signing bonus, and this has been done by teams.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 02:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: Couple notes. They can force his compliance until he files paperwork that he is retiring via fines. Refusal to practice or play would constitute a breach of contract but there are remedies for this within the CBA (fines) so not lawsuit would be required. If he were to retire they can also recover part of his signing bonus, and this has been done by teams.

Except refusal to practice isn't refusal if he says it's claimed as an injury. He's maintained this whole time he's "listening to his body". Even the coaches called it a "day-to-day" situation.

Also worth noting that any team that went after a player to recover signing bonuses, it absolutely taints things for the franchise. It is a poison pill. The Lions did it to both Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson and there's a reason why people didn't want to go to Detroit for all those years.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 02:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except refusal to practice isn't refusal if he says it's claimed as an injury. He's maintained this whole time he's "listening to his body". Even the coaches called it a "day-to-day" situation.

He's been medically cleared to practice thrice plus apparently he's been doing the walkthroughs all camp. Chase doesn't have an injury recourse to fall back on.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 12:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'll be honest, it feels like a bunch of residual "Team Sewell" energy to me.  And his name has been invoked in this thread.

Of course, Sewell was made the highest paid T in the league with 2 years left on his deal despite not being generally considered the best. 

No matter how good the guy is, there's still a large contingent of people who passionately did not want him on this team and can't seem to get over it.  But, apparently, he's supposed to take less than he believes he's worth for the benefit of those same fans who will just find something else to drag him for to justify their 3+ year old grudge.

I'm the one that brought up Penei Sewell not as a one over the over just listing people from the 2021 first round who have received an extension so we do know teams are willing to give large extension to first round picks 3 years into their rookie contract.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 02:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except refusal to practice isn't refusal if he says it's claimed as an injury. He's maintained this whole time he's "listening to his body". Even the coaches called it a "day-to-day" situation.

Also worth noting that any team that went after a player to recover signing bonuses, it absolutely taints things for the franchise. It is a poison pill. The Lions did it to both Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson and there's a reason why people didn't want to go to Detroit for all those years.

He can't just claim injury, CBA covers that as well. He has a duty to notify and their staff has first right of treatment. Once they clear him he could contest it but a differing opinion would require arbitration and teams almost always win those. Since there has been no "rehab" work it would appear that is not the case. The 49'ers actually just went through this with Ayuik "clearing" him setting up for a similar situation.

Other note, a conduct detrimental to the team suspension would waive all remaining guarantees in Chase's contract. He has a contract he should honor it or be willing to face the contractual mechanisms for enforcement. 
Reply/Quote
How many upgrades could we make throughout our team if we just let Chase walk and used that money elsewhere. Sure Chase is a stud, but Tom Brady went basically his whole career with a weak receiving group. Why can’t burrow? Protect him.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 03:03 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: How many upgrades could we make throughout our team if we just let Chase walk and used that money elsewhere.  Sure Chase is a stud, but Tom Brady went basically his whole career with a weak receiving group.  Why can’t burrow?  Protect him.

I'm guess 1 upgrade. Then the rest of the money would saved for injuries and future.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 03:03 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: How many upgrades could we make throughout our team if we just let Chase walk and used that money elsewhere.  Sure Chase is a stud, but Tom Brady went basically his whole career with a weak receiving group.  Why can’t burrow?  Protect him.

You're right, we only need the greatest HC of all time who is defensively minded to constantly give us an amazing defense to make that comparison work.

Brady's scoring defense ranks the years he went to at least the AFCC game (SB wins in bold)... 6th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 15th, 9th, 10th, 8th, 10th, 1st, 5th, 7th, 8th.

The only time in his career he went to the AFCC or better without a top-10 scoring defense backing him up? It was still above-average and he had Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez who combined for 3,806 yards and 33 TDs and two 1st Team AP nods.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
So the Browns just restructured Deshaun Watson (dumb move but whatever) to free up a ton of cap sounds like they are gearing up for a big move. Brandon Aiyuk trade a 35m aav contract incoming?

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 03:28 PM)Synric Wrote: So the Browns just restructured Deshaun Watson (dumb move but whatever) to free up a ton of cap sounds like they are gearing up for a big move. Brandon Aiyuk trade a 35m aav contract incoming?

Yea, it would seem there is something happening there. Supposedly Cooper would go back though so they wouldn't need that much.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 03:28 PM)Synric Wrote: So the Browns just restructured Deshaun Watson (dumb move but whatever) to free up a ton of cap sounds like they are gearing up for a big move. Brandon Aiyuk trade a 35m aav contract incoming?

That would make sense. They got Jeudy from Denver, if they get Aiyuk would appear not happy with Jeudy.
I am so ready for 2024 season. I love pro football and hoping for a great Bengals year. Regardless, always remember it is a game and entertainment. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 03:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea, it would seem there is something happening there. Supposedly Cooper would go back though so they wouldn't need that much.

The 49ers have been mentioning they want a WR back in the trade for Aiyuk and Cooper is perfect. I'm thinking the Steelers and Niners dropped out after the Lamb deal if Aiyuk was like its 34 or 35m now... The Browns on the other hand have no qualms about dropping big dollars.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 02:54 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm the one that brought up Penei Sewell not as a one over the over just listing people from the 2021 first round who have received an extension so we do know teams are willing to give large extension to first round picks 3 years into their rookie contract.

There's others.  
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 09:31 AM)Whatever Wrote: I think it's even funnier that a bunch of people are now saying to trade Chase and sign Tee when Tee's camp is the one that demanded a trade this off-season.

At the end of the day, Ted Karras, the elder statesman on the roster has publicly supported Chase and said he's not causing any issues.  Sounds like a business as usual hardball negotiation.

You can keep saying that, but you can't sell the narrative. Tee never demanded a trade, he stated he wanted a deal here and if they were not going to give him one then he asked to be traded. Not even in the same stadium of demanding a trade.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 10:13 AM)higgy100 Wrote: LOL. You're not "done" with Chase.

You don't know me....
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 10:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I guess being a fan of a team poised for success is a bit intense for some fans. It's not Chase's fault that the market for top WRs went through the roof this year. If the fans want to be mad at anyone, they should focus on the Learners, for giving D Watson all of that guaranteed money 3 years ago. Like you said, it's just hardball negotiation.

It's not, but it is his fault he is holding out with two years left on his contract.
Reply/Quote
Laps was on Sirius this afternoon talking about this. I'm paraphrasing His thoughts:

JaMarr has outplayed his current contract, but it is a contract

A "fair" deal was on the table and that's when JC showed up. He can only speculate it was how/when money was going to be paid that caused change of heart

JaMarr absolutely wants to be the highest paid WR in the NFL

JaMarr is in fantastic shape and obviously is familiar with Joe, but your body still needs to be hit and pulled
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 12:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: But we all remember you beating up Trey Hendrickson when he was skipping OTA's just as much or more as you were Chase earlier this year.

Wait a minute...no ..I don't remember that.

Maybe you don't remember it because Trey was at OTAs. 

He was told no and reported to work
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
no is he or isn't he watch until next week. The summer is over. Normal practice schedule next week

Winning makes believers of us all

Reply/Quote