Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Chase not Practicing
(08-29-2024, 03:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That would make sense. They got Jeudy from Denver, if they get Aiyuk would appear not happy with Jeudy.

I don't think that'd be the case at all. It just means Cooper is in his age 30 season this year and will be a FA next year, and Aiyuk is in his age 26 season this year and coming off a better year than Cooper has ever has so they'd want to upgrade in both age and hopefully production at WR1. Amari Cooper is like Brandin Cooks, where they can technically be a #1 WR, but you're never going to feel great about it (I think Higgins will also end up falling in this category when he goes elsewhere).

They've done some heavy cap screwery with Jeudy's deal, and he doesn't have a cap hit of $10m+ until 2027. 

They're absolutely loading their players up with void years and just telling future-them to go screw themselves. For example, they have 0 players under contract for 2028 but they still have $73.8m in cap commitments to 20 players through void years.

Meanwhile I might be mistaken but I think the only contract that got void years from the Bengals was Joe Burrow's in 2030.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm not a fan of how much control NFL owners hold over players at the end of their initial contract.

In this case, Chase isn't being screwed. He has a contract, and he should honor it. Mike Brown has won too many of these battles for Chase to safely call his bluff. It's seemed to me, in the past, that Mikey would stand his ground, regardless what it means to the team's success.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 02:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: This isn't about Sewell. Team Sewell can take the high road because they were proven right long before this hold in and out and in again.

Even the meme came to fruition.

This is about Chase. A career average (little over) 1200 yard receiver wanting to be paid like those that has outshined him since he was drafted. A receiver that probably should have done this next offseason and one who in a weird way does not have confidence to "bet on himself".

My personal issue is the wishy washy tactic. He needs to commit to one or another. It's getting to the point where it's disrespectful to Zac and I think that's wrong. 

So explain to me how drafting a LT keeps your QB from getting injured by a hit from off RT again?  

We can make hypotheticals, but that logic train derails before it even leaves the station. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 02:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: This isn't about Sewell. Team Sewell can take the high road because they were proven right long before this hold in and out and in again.

Even the meme came to fruition.

This is about Chase. A career average (little over) 1200 yard receiver wanting to be paid like those that has outshined him since he was drafted. A receiver that probably should have done this next offseason and one who in a weird way does not have confidence to "bet on himself".

My personal issue is the wishy washy tactic. He needs to commit to one or another. It's getting to the point where it's disrespectful to Zac and I think that's wrong. 

AMEN. Dude acting like he's even in Jefferson's league at this point is laughable. Jefferson has has MUCH better numbers while working with a lesser QB too. ASide from Chase's standout rookie year hes been good, not great. He disappears way too much. I wish the Bengals were willing to make waves beacuse I honestly think it would be better for this team to pay Higgins and trade Chase for two 1st's (Maybe more too) and beef this defense up. Defense is what wins championships, not diva wide recievers.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 04:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: So explain to me how drafting a LT keeps your QB from getting injured by a hit from off RT again?  

We can make hypotheticals, but that logic train derails before it even leaves the station. 

Well ummmm Sewell is a RT, so there's that.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 04:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: So explain to me how drafting a LT keeps your QB from getting injured by a hit from off RT again?  

Easy, we could have fixed RT quicker without the revolving door at RT with LT locked down. Or moved Sewell to RT.

But it doesn't matter. With Burrow by all accounts outside of this board an injury away from.... Well I won't say it. However there is no question the line should have been the priority over a luxury pick. 

And with Carman busting it only highlights this blunder. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 04:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe you don't remember it because Trey was at OTAs. 

He was told no and reported to work

This year.  

However, I seem to remember you were pretty mum on the subject when he skipped OTA's in '22 after signing a 4 year deal in '21.  

Just kind of wondering why it was such a big deal to you that Chase did the same this year.
Reply/Quote
If you're talking about the wrist that was also a late hit so nobody is preventing it. The knee back in 2020 was courtesy of Michael Jordan.

Are we REALLY bringing the Sewell - Chase nonsense back up just because there is a stall in contract negotiations? The same stall would have happened with Sewell likely. Let's stop freaking out and just relax as things will do what they will do and we have no control over it.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 05:08 PM)Whatever Wrote: This year.  

However, I seem to remember you were pretty mum on the subject when he skipped OTA's in '22 after signing a 4 year deal in '21.  

Just kind of wondering why it was such a big deal to you that Chase did the same this year.

Hell, you got a better memory than me if you can remember what I did/did not post in 22. Go back and look at what I posted when Chase missed OTAs. Pretty much say I don't understand what is gained, but understood why he was doing it. I made the wild accusation it was contract related, with "no proof". 

Of course, Chase has done a little more than just miss OTAs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Now when I mention Burrow injury history no one knows what I'm talking about, but when Sewell get brought up suddenly everyone not only remember Burrow's injuries but remember how they happened.....

The point. The focus should have been on the line. Building from the inside out. Burrow injury history hurts our long term success and while Chase (ignoring the defense in the playoff's) may have gotten that quick fix, if Burrow's career is shortened which would you want? Consistent winning or that 1 run. 

But again, this thread isn't about Sewell. 

So my argument stands, if we didn't have to buy a line (both sides of the ball), we could have bought receivers. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 06:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: Now when I mention Burrow injury history no one knows what I'm talking about, but when Sewell get brought up suddenly everyone not only remember Burrow's injuries but remember how they happened.....

The point. The focus should have been on the line. Building from the inside out. Burrow injury history hurts our long term success and while Chase (ignoring the defense in the playoff's) may have gotten that quick fix, if Burrow's career is shortened which would you want? Consistent winning or that 1 run. 

But again, this thread isn't about Sewell. 

So my argument stands, if we didn't have to buy a line (both sides of the ball), we could have bought receivers. 

The decision to draft Sewell or Chase wasn’t anything more than a win win. The staff will tell you that. The reason they went with Chase was because of his unbelievable chemistry with Joe. Throw out Joe and Chase by himself was the best WR in the draft. But it’s a huge bonus getting that chemistry. We haven’t had a shot at a WR like that since. The problem is our drafting of OL has sucked not who we didn’t pick.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Reward loyalty and class. Extend Tee please. He and Joe were great their rookie years together before Washington crushed Joe and our year.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 06:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The decision to draft Sewell or Chase wasn’t anything more than a win win. The staff will tell you that. The reason they went with Chase was because of his unbelievable chemistry with Joe. Throw out Joe and Chase by himself was the best WR in the draft. But it’s a huge bonus getting that chemistry. We haven’t had a shot at a WR like that since. The problem is our drafting of OL has sucked not who we didn’t pick.

We would’ve had one in the later rounds in that same draft.

So no, it wasn’t a once in a lifetime chance. We would’ve had another shot at a receiver who is just as good as Chase, literally the next ***** day.
Reply/Quote
Aiyuk got his deal...Chase is the only WR left without an extension

Winning makes believers of us all

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 06:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The decision to draft Sewell or Chase wasn’t anything more than a win win. The staff will tell you that. The reason they went with Chase was because of his unbelievable chemistry with Joe. Throw out Joe and Chase by himself was the best WR in the draft. But it’s a huge bonus getting that chemistry. We haven’t had a shot at a WR like that since. The problem is our drafting of OL has sucked not who we didn’t pick.

Amon-Ra St. Brown has had pretty comparable stats as Chase. If I had a time machine, I would have taken Sewell in the first and Brown in the 3rd, but hindsight is 20/20
Reply/Quote
Tee the only tagged player not to be signed.

Chase the last star WR not to have a deal regardless of how many years he has left.

It’s a shit look for the FO
Reply/Quote
Piss on him. Use the money towards Hendrickson & Higgins.
Reply/Quote
The blueprints for a deal are there...

Winning makes believers of us all

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 08:04 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Tee the only tagged player not to be signed.

Chase the last star WR not to have a deal regardless of how many years he has left.

It’s a shit look for the FO

I agree the Bengals would be smarter to sign Chase sooner then later. But confused how they're looking like shit or what Higgins has to do with it. How many other teams that tagged someone have an even better player at the same position? The Bengals are getting a player worth 30+mil for 22mil. Seems like a good move by them. 

Chase demanding a new deal 2 years early and highest paid in the league looks as bad or worse for him compared to the Bengals. Brandon Auyik who just signed for 5mil less a year is as close to Chase as Chase is to Jefferson. Amon St Ra is as good as Chase and signed for 5 mil a year less then Jefferson. 

Would another team make Chase the highest paid WR? Probably. But Chase clearly has 0 care for his teammates, coaches, or winning in comparison to his own ego. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 08:01 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Amon-Ra St. Brown has had pretty comparable stats as Chase. If I had a time machine, I would have taken Sewell in the first and Brown in the 3rd, but hindsight is 20/20

Gimme Chase & Humphrey (or Cosmi) with my trip, Doc Brown. We lost the Super Bowl and the AFCCG because Aaron Donald and Chris Jones abused our IOL.

Reply/Quote