Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Chase not Practicing
It sounds like they agree with the numbers which is why his body said he can practice, but the payout is what caused the setback. So that is good news I guess. They have agreed to meet his price.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 09:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I heard a caller and the hosts discussing this yesterday on Moving the Chains. Miller said the market for WR's with the cap going up will soon be 40 mil, and if they sign Chase now for four or five years at what he's asking, we'll be glad later (it's not lost on me that last week they said the WR position was going the way of the RB). What I would have asked them if I was on the phone is "If the Bengals give in to him now with two years left on his rookie contract, and give him his 30+ million a year, what's to keep him from pulling this same crap year after next when somebody else gets 40 mil?" It's time for all teams to start standing their ground and holding players to their contracts.

$100M+ guaranteed. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 12:36 AM)Whatever Wrote: Focusing on the OL is your personal preference, which has its faults and merits just like any other team building philosophy.  

Drafting one guy doesn't fix the OL.  Even if you take Sewell over Chase, we still have to buy an OL because every other draft pick we sunk into the OL has underwhelmed.  At best, you don't have to get Brown, but good luck getting a WR anywhere close to Chase's caliber for what Brown is getting paid.  Even a good #2 WR like Waddle, Slim Reaper, or Tee commands more than that.  

Neither of Burrow's major injuries post the Chase draft had anything to do with the LT.  Drafting Sewell, Chase, Slater, Pitts, Parsons, or whoever else doesn't change that.  It's false causality to claim his career was shortened by the Chase pick.

I agree and disagree.

An Elite LT has lifted the whole line for teams.

And Burrow career is in jeopardy of being shortened with ALL of his injuries, and really after drafting a generational QB, this is the biggest and only concern / disappointment. How did we get here, why, what if.... No one will ever know. But what we do know, is that we are on the verge of a disaster. Burrow is walking a fine line of being great, or busting (2 back to back AFC championship games did nothing for Sanchez career narrative), and that 5 years into his career the Bengals are desperately still trying to fix the Oline. 

NFL Coach Shades Joe Burrow: 'At Some Point, Physically, His Body Is Going to Fail' | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Reply/Quote

The 23-year-old revealed that Chase has taken him under his wing and helped him throughout training camp.

“He’s given me advice on when I do something wrong or something comes up, a better way of doing it," Burton said.

“Whether its depth, leverage on a route, steps, and like speed and when to change speed and stuff like that on different routes,” Burton said.

Reply/Quote
"This franchise is Joe burrow and Mike Brown is ***** it up. Tiger never changes its stripes. Especially old ones."

I agree, but MB did take care of Joe Burrow. And while everyone keeps mentioning Mahomes receivers, the fact is locking up the Generational QB IS the only move MB absolutely had to make.

Tee can be the 1200 yard receiver Chase is, and maybe Yoshi can be the 900 yard receiver Tee is (average). Chase is replaceable, even if the Burrow / Chase bromance isn't.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 09:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I heard a caller and the hosts discussing this yesterday on Moving the Chains. Miller said the market for WR's with the cap going up will soon be 40 mil, and if they sign Chase now for four or five years at what he's asking, we'll be glad later (it's not lost on me that last week they said the WR position was going the way of the RB). What I would have asked them if I was on the phone is "If the Bengals give in to him now with two years left on his rookie contract, and give him his 30+ million a year, what's to keep him from pulling this same crap year after next when somebody else gets 40 mil?" It's time for all teams to start standing their ground and holding players to their contracts.

I would agree..if the Bengals stay healthy and go to the Superbowl it will not be because of Chase.I am not in anyway suggesting that Chase is not a wonderful wide receiver but he is only a part of the success..He could get injured on the first play of the season an I believe this team would do well anyway
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 11:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: They so have one of the greatest QBs of all time which is also why they moved on.
Yet the defense won them the SB last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 10:13 AM)ERIC1 Wrote: I would agree..if the Bengals stay healthy and go to the Superbowl it will not be because of Chase.I am not in anyway suggesting that Chase is not a wonderful wide receiver but he is only a part of the success..He could get injured on the first play of the season an I believe this team would do well anyway

With no training camp reps, that's pretty much what I'm expecting to happen. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 10:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
The 23-year-old revealed that Chase has taken him under his wing and helped him throughout training camp.

“He’s given me advice on when I do something wrong or something comes up, a better way of doing it," Burton said.

“Whether its depth, leverage on a route, steps, and like speed and when to change speed and stuff like that on different routes,” Burton said.

Hmm, perhaps. But the way I see it, he's also doing his teammates a tremendous disservice by not being out there making the defense better by making them try to cover one of the best WRs in football.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Your logic has a big hole.

You can't argue that teams should hold players to their contracts when teams are free to refuse to honor contracts whenever they wish.  I mean, the Bengals didn't honor the contracts of some 3 dozen guys they let go in final cuts, just for starters.

The only way the owners have a moral high ground when it comes to holding players to contracts is if they make all contracts fully guaranteed in the next CBA, which will never happen.

In this case, we're dealing with a player who's current deal wasn't negotiated in good faith.  It was a slotted "take it or leave it" deal after being drafted.  That's a big reason there's more urgency in the Chase camp.  
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 10:22 AM)Whatever Wrote: Your logic has a big hole.

You can't argue that teams should hold players to their contracts when teams are free to refuse to honor contracts whenever they wish.  I mean, the Bengals didn't honor the contracts of some 3 dozen guys they let go in final cuts, just for starters.

The only way the owners have a moral high ground when it comes to holding players to contracts is if they make all contracts fully guaranteed in the next CBA, which will never happen.

In this case, we're dealing with a player who's current deal wasn't negotiated in good faith.  It was a slotted "take it or leave it" deal after being drafted.  That's a big reason there's more urgency in the Chase camp.  

If you want to play in the NFL, rookie deals are what they are. The Players Union agreed to them. They should honor them. Chase is probably making tens of millions more than his contract is in jersey and other sales, and endorsement money. How much is enough?
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 10:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If you want to play in the NFL, rookie deals are what they are. The Players Union agreed to them. They should honor them. Chase is probably making tens of millions more than his contract is in jersey and other sales, and endorsement money. How much is enough?

Market value.

Quote:Chase is probably making tens of millions more than his contract is in jersey and other sales, and endorsement money.

He almost definitely isn't. Tom Brady earned a "staggering" royalties check for $2.35M which includes NFLPA endorsements, jersey and merchandise sales. It's impossible to say what he is making with external endorsements. I don't have a list, but I would be shocked if it was tens of millions more than his contract, which is $30M. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 04:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Easy, we could have fixed RT quicker without the revolving door at RT with LT locked down. Or moved Sewell to RT.

But it doesn't matter. With Burrow by all accounts outside of this board an injury away from.... Well I won't say it. However there is no question the line should have been the priority over a luxury pick. 

And with Carman busting it only highlights this blunder. 

They were not going to move Sewell out of his natural position.  They just would have moved Jonah to RT a year earlier, ironically to where he was playing when he gave up the hit that Joe injured.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 10:52 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Market value.

He almost definitely isn't. Tom Brady earned a "staggering" royalties check for $2.35M which includes NFLPA endorsements, jersey and merchandise sales. It's impossible to say what he is making with external endorsements. I don't have a list, but I would be shocked if it was tens of millions more than his contract, which is $30M. 

Exactly!
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 10:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If you want to play in the NFL, rookie deals are what they are. The Players Union agreed to them. They should honor them. Chase is probably making tens of millions more than his contract is in jersey and other sales, and endorsement money. How much is enough?

But no rookie bound by a rookie deal was a member of the Union or had a vote when the current CBA was agreed to.

But again, you can't argue that players should have to honor contracts on a moral basis, but teams are free to disregard them as they see fit.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 09:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Chase has a deal. He signed it. 

Dude...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 10:11 AM)jj22 Wrote: "This franchise is Joe burrow and Mike Brown is ***** it up. Tiger never changes its stripes. Especially old ones."

I agree, but MB did take care of Joe Burrow. And while everyone keeps mentioning Mahomes receivers, the fact is locking up the Generational QB IS the only move MB absolutely had to make.

Tee can be the 1200 yard receiver Chase is, and maybe Yoshi can be the 900 yard receiver Tee is (average). Chase is replaceable, even if the Burrow / Chase bromance isn't.

"Bell cow quarterback" lulz. That's how dumb mike brown is. He used that term. He thinks all you need is the guy under center and he can get the job done. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 10:52 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Market value.

Money on that scale gets kinda crazy.

The simplest thing you can do with your money to earn more is to put it in a savings account to earn interest. Well over 1m those savings become High-Yield which is up to around 4% interest right now. If Chase put just half his signing bonus into such an account that means he earns 400,000 a year just from his money sitting in the bank lol. Of course rhe downside is in 20 years his money will be worth a fraction of what it was which is why you diversify out of money.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 10:22 AM)Whatever Wrote: Your logic has a big hole.

(08-30-2024, 11:10 AM)Whatever Wrote: But no rookie bound by a rookie deal was a member of the Union or had a vote when the current CBA was agreed to.

But again, you can't argue that players should have to honor contracts on a moral basis, but teams are free to disregard them as they see fit.

I do not understand when people say that teams are not honoring contracts?  The contracts are based upon perceived production and other factors.  NFL contracts stipulate how much of the deal is guaranteed.  A contract can absolutely have non-guaranteed aspects.  

Every team honors these contracts, if they do not they can be sued and will easily lose in court.  Players are NOT forced to sign these contracts.  The rookie contract scale is what the NFL organization requires to participate.  They didn't have to allow the players union to participate in the parameters, but they did.

Teams and fans should want every player to out produce their current contracts, it doesn't mean that the team is obligated to change the current contract.  And if a player doesnt produce to the level of the contract, every team is obligated to pay the player any guarantees in their contract.

Chase is not honoring his contract, that fact is indisputable.   I think it would be best for the Bengals to get the deal done with Chase for multiple reasons.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 11:19 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: "Bell cow quarterback" lulz. That's how dumb mike brown is. He used that term. He thinks all you need is the guy under center and he can get the job done. 

Well everyone has always said Burrow covers up a lot of warts. So MB's may not be off with his point. 

Reply/Quote