Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The rookie we haven't talked about
I was so stoked when we signed him in the off season. In college he had an absolute cannon of a leg. He was 3rd in college football in average yards per punt at 48.3. The thing that was concerning about him was his net yards per punt were all the way down at 38th at 41.1. So he was losing 7.2 yards on average to returns.

This could be due to the team around him. If his coverage team was bad, then that will exascerbate that problem and, when I watched him punt, the ball seemed to have a fine hang time. These weren't Dru Chrisman style bullet punts.

So I was excited to see him and McNamara compete with Robbins in the pre-season.
I was surprised when they cut McNamara before the games even started.

In the pre-season games, Rehkow's leg strength was apparent, but he worried me with his touchbacks. And, in admittedly limited play, Robbins looked about as good as him.

That concerned me because, knowing the Bengals, I knew they'd keep Robbins if he and Rehkow were close. So, when Robbins was injured, I felt bad but I was kind of happy that Rehkow was going to get his chance and, wow, he has delivered.

Robbins is essentially going to lose his job due to injury, which never feels good, but I'm hoping that we find a space for him on the PS as an emergency punter, or I hope he finds a spot on another team.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The rookie we haven't talked about - pally - 09-30-2024, 08:44 AM
RE: The rookie we haven't talked about - CJD - 09-30-2024, 10:17 AM