Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 day, 2 shootings in spotlight:
(09-27-2016, 02:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: No. That wasn't the question though.

Oh. Then my answer is, no, i wouldn't be afraid of some stranger yelling at me. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(09-27-2016, 09:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: you say nothing of substance but instead just keep repeating that I am wrong just because you say so.
I hate it when folks do nothing more than keep repeating someone is wrong
(09-27-2016, 09:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Neither one of you have a clue what you are talking about

(09-27-2016, 11:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Again you completely missed the point.

Hilarious ).  But this case proves you were wrong

The point is that you are both ignorant of the meaning of the law.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-28-2016, 12:30 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Oh. Then my answer is, no, i wouldn't be afraid of some stranger yelling at me. 

So if a random crackhead started screaming at you you'd just walk away and not be bothered at all?

Seems like an unlikely reaction.

The question is:  Is it a threat?  It seems it can been even if the person isn't brandishing anything also.

But since we have a poster who can never ever be wrong this will go on forever because nothing, not even case law, can change his opinion. And his partner in crime thinks anytime someone points out the fallacy in their statements with actual counter points it is the same as saying "You are wrong."

It's like arguing with that kid in school who thought he was really, really smart. So smart he knew everything. And their maid retort is telling YOU how dumb you must be because you don't see how they are always right. Only that kid never grew up and learned that there are always people who know more than you and its not a sin or a strike to length of your manhood if you admit you were wrong.

(btw, that kid in my high school grew up to be a lawyer. No joke. Well, once he found a school willing to take enough money to give him a degree.)

It's kind of sad to watch.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-28-2016, 09:11 AM)GMDino Wrote: So if a random crackhead started screaming at you you'd just walk away and not be bothered at all?

I'm not trying to be condescending..... but do you ever walk any streets, in larger cities ?
There are crazy/drugged/bored people yelling things, all the time.
I truly hope you are not fearful, every time you experience such a thing.
That would be most unpleasant.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(09-28-2016, 11:14 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm not trying to be condescending..... but do you ever walk any streets, in larger cities ?
There are crazy/drugged/bored people yelling things, all the time.
I truly hope you are not fearful, every time you experience such a thing.
That would be most unpleasant.

I have, though rarely.

But what was described wasn't people yelling in the streets.  What was described was someone asked someone what time it was and the response was to scream at them to get out and never come back to that area. (Paraphrasing.)

And this all predicated on the yeller "knowing" the guy who asked him was a criminal/up to something/whatever.

So yes, if I asked a guy a question and he started scream non-sequiturs at me I'd be at least a little fearful as I am human and "fight or flee" is the initial reaction for most of us when surprised.

I realize reading these boards that there are superhumans among us that don't react like other, mere mortals.  However I am not one of them.
(09-28-2016, 11:35 AM)GMDino Wrote: I have, though rarely.

But what was described wasn't people yelling in the streets.  What was described was someone asked someone what time it was and the response was to scream at them to get out and never come back to that area. (Paraphrasing.)

And this all predicated on the yeller "knowing" the guy who asked him was a criminal/up to something/whatever.

So yes, if I asked a guy a question and he started scream non-sequiturs at me I'd be at least a little fearful as I am human and "fight or flee" is the initial reaction for most of us when surprised.

I realize reading these boards that there are superhumans among us that don't react like other, mere mortals.  However I am not one of them.
Ok, gotcha.
I was mainly considering the crack-head yelling random things example.

I have/will back up SSF on body language though.
I don't want to argue about it.
I know that you guys are intelligent enough to know that it is an actual science.
We even see it in animals, in nature.

I will endorse everyone referring to SSF as Bruce Willis, considering he embraced the "Sixth Sense" reference.

(09-27-2016, 05:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/22/us/tulsa-officer-charged/index.html

Felony Manslaughter in the 1st Degree is what she was charged with. That's up to 12.5 years in Arizona.

But she wasn't arrested at the scene of the crime. Clearly, the law is biased in favor of white people.  Whatever
(09-28-2016, 11:43 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Ok, gotcha.
I was mainly considering the crack-head yelling random things example.

I have/will back up SSF on body language though.
I don't want to argue about it.
I know that you guys are intelligent enough to know that it is an actual science.
We even see it in animals, in nature.

I will endorse everyone referring to SSF as Bruce Willis, considering he embraced the "Sixth Sense" reference.

I thought it was just because he was balding, overrated and only plays a cop?   Ninja
(09-28-2016, 09:11 AM)GMDino Wrote: So if a random crackhead started screaming at you you'd just walk away and not be bothered at all?

The question is:  Is it a threat?  It seems it can been even if the person isn't brandishing anything also.

But since we have a poster who can never ever be wrong this will go on forever because nothing, not even case law, can change his opinion. And his partner in crime thinks anytime someone points out the fallacy in their statements with actual counter points it is the same as saying "You are wrong."

It's like arguing with that kid in school who thought he was really, really smart. So smart he knew everything. And their maid retort is telling YOU how dumb you must be because you don't see how they are always right. Only that kid never grew up and learned that there are always people who know more than you and its not a sin or a strike to length of your manhood if you admit you were wrong.

(btw, that kid in my high school grew up to be a lawyer. No joke. Well, once he found a school willing to take enough money to give him a degree.)

It's kind of sad to watch.

Brandishing something was only part of examples i gave. Another, which has now been ignored twice is, someone walking towards you.

If a stranger starts yelling at me, im not going to instantly perceive it as a threat. Depending on the situation, i may laugh, shake my head or just walk away. Now, if someone is yelling at me and walking towards me, im going to perceive that as a threat and act accordingly.

Not trying to be mr internet tough guy, billy badass punk, but im big enough, trained enough and i've been in enough fights in my life that i know how to take care of myself. i travel all around greater cincinnati all day every day. From the best neighborhoods to the worst and ive been able to do it without having to defend myself in the entire, almost, 30 years ive been a locksmith.

Simple words, even if they're formed as threats, aren't going to bother me. But that's just me. I don't expect others to act the way i do. That's why it's up to each individual and whether they feel threatened. But even with that, you can't simply say you felt threatened and have that be the deciding factor.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
I got tired of typing in that last post, since im on my ipad and punctuation sucks on an ipad keyboard...anyway...a point i wanted to make was;lets say im driving around in Fay Apartments at night and i cant find a particular street. I see a homie and ask him for directions. Being a white dude myself, he says "best thing for you is to leave and not come back around here".

Heres my question. Was he threatening me or giving me advice, due to the bad dudes that hang around that area and are usually up to no good?

(09-28-2016, 02:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I got tired of typing in that last post, since im on my ipad and punctuation sucks on an ipad keyboard...anyway...a point i wanted to make was;lets say im driving around in Fay Apartments at night and i cant find a particular street. I see a homie and ask him for directions. Being a white dude myself, he says "best thing for you is to leave and not come back around here".

Heres my question. Was he threatening me or giving me advice, due to the bad dudes that hang around that area and are usually up to no good?

Did he "scream" at you?

But if I was in a "bad neighborhood" and someone said that to me there would have to be context as to "how" it was said.

I can tell me wife to "F off" and she knows I'm joking with her vs screaming at her by my tone of voice.

However I go back to the actual example being discussed (that has ZERO to do with the OP):  Someone said he screamed at a stranger to get out of the area and never come back when they asked if he had the time. (paraphrasing)

Maybe he was joking?  Maybe it was a friendly suggestion based on the neighborhood?  Hard to say except the screamer also said he did so because he could tell something bad about the person he was yelling at.  That bit of information helps is ascertain the state of mind of the person screaming.  That and how proud they are for having done it.

So given that information from the actual event...it certainly fits a "threat".

And to the level it bothers someone that would be an individual reaction.  I'm sure if I screamed at the aggressor in our little scene when he asked me a question he would certainly not feel threatened but would probably become more aggressive toward me because of his natural superiority.
(09-28-2016, 02:31 PM)GMDino Wrote: Did he "scream" at you?

But if I was in a "bad neighborhood" and someone said that to me there would have to be context as to "how" it was said.

I can tell me wife to "F off" and she knows I'm joking with her vs screaming at her by my tone of voice.

However I go back to the actual example being discussed (that has ZERO to do with the OP):  Someone said he screamed at a stranger to get out of the area and never come back when they asked if he had the time. (paraphrasing)

Maybe he was joking?  Maybe it was a friendly suggestion based on the neighborhood?  Hard to say except the screamer also said he did so because he could tell something bad about the person he was yelling at.  That bit of information helps is ascertain the state of mind of the person screaming.  That and how proud they are for having done it.

So given that information from the actual event...it certainly fits a "threat".

And to the level it bothers someone that would be an individual reaction.  I'm sure if I screamed at the aggressor in our little scene when he asked me a question he would certainly not feel threatened but would probably become more aggressive toward me because of his natural superiority.

You should be on DWTS. Ninja

Screaming doesnt matter because fred cited a case where a gang banger calmly made a comment to a female and was charged with a crime.

(09-28-2016, 02:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You should be on DWTS. Ninja

Screaming doesnt matter because fred cited a case where a gang banger calmly made a comment to a female and was charged with a crime.

Because of other circumstances?

I'm talking about the issue at hand:  Can a person who asks what the time is feel "threatened" if the other person starts screaming at them?

I would contend yes.  You would contend no.  

We should add that the person screaming, through his description of the encounter, certainly implied that it WAS a threat as he felt the other person was bad/up to no good/etc and he did WANT him to not come back to that area.  Our aggressor never said that he was simply telling the other person for their safety but rather to make sure they understood to not come back.

His words....not mine.
(09-28-2016, 02:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because of other circumstances?

I'm talking about the issue at hand:  Can a person who asks what the time is feel "threatened" if the other person starts screaming at them?

We should add that the person screaming, through his description of the encounter, certainly implied that it WAS a threat as he felt the other person was bad/up to no good/etc and he did WANT him to not come back to that area.  Our aggressor never said that he was simply telling the other person for their safety but rather to make sure they understood to not come back.

His words....not mine.

Why do you keep saying "screaming"?

(09-28-2016, 02:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because of other circumstances?

His words....not mine.

Yes, because of other circumstances, as i pointed out from what fred posted. Then i was told i was wrong. Now youre telling me im right?

(09-28-2016, 02:51 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why do you keep saying "screaming"?

Because he said he screamed at the person who asked if he had the time.  Unless I am taking "went off on him"  and told them to "**** off" the wrong way and it was a polite exchange about the safety of the neighborhood?

(07-18-2016, 01:11 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My friend and I were coming out of the liquor store on Willoughby and Cahuenga (ish) around 10 pm and this kid came up and asked what time it was.  I went off on him, told him he had his people confused and to **** off and I'd better never see him in the area again.  He stopped, looked stunned and then turned around and left.  Most robberies begin with a question to determine, by your reaction, how difficult a victim you'll be.  A strong response pretty much always ensures a non-event.

Mellow
(09-28-2016, 02:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yes, because of other circumstances, as i pointed out from what fred posted. Then i was told i was wrong. Now youre telling me im right?

No I'm saying that if it had met one set of circumstance and not another it has nothing to do with what we are talking about happened in the incident we are discussing.
(09-28-2016, 02:57 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because he said he screamed at the person who asked if he had the time.  Unless I am taking "went off on him"  and told them to "**** off" the wrong way and it was a polite exchange about the safety of the neighborhood?

Mellow

Yeah. Going off on somebody doesnt necessarily mean screamed.

Also, there are different degrees between polite exchange and scream. No need to jump straight to extremes.

Did you even read the last sentence? Explains a lot.

(09-28-2016, 02:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: No I'm saying that if it had met one set of circumstance and not another it has nothing to do with what we are talking about happened in the incident we are discussing.

When someone introduces something new, and its commented on and used as reference, you cant just suddenly dismiss it and say we're talking about something else. It all ties together in determining a threat or not.

(09-28-2016, 04:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. Going off on somebody doesnt necessarily mean screamed.

Also, there are different degrees between polite exchange and scream. No need to jump straight to extremes.

Did you even read the last sentence? Explains a lot.

All I can base it on is what the poster of the story said.  He "went off" and told the other person to " **** off".    He didn't say "I told the guy that I was on to his evil ways and reminded him that I am the Alpha Male and he would be best to get moving along."

He "went off" and told the guy to "**** off" because he needed to have a "strong response" to the perceived absolute threat in order to avoid a possible certain incident with what could be was definitely a person with bad intentions.

I do not know him personally.  All I know is what he posts on these boards.  Based on his own words I'd have to reach the conclusion that it was not a polite exchange.  I will also add that the person who told this story has never said he was polite or non-threatening.  All that has been said is "legally" he couldn't be charged with threatening someone.