Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
157 Yards
Just wondering where the Andy Dalton little drummer boys are? Do we put any of yesterdays loss on our QB? Or do we have some excuses?

Andy is an above average QB most of the time. But his performances in big games leave a lot to be desired. And I am not sold he can get us over the hump.

Little tidbit from the Bengals homepage. Dalton was 25th in the league in 4th quarter passer rating going into the Steelers game. And put up a 47.9 yesterday.

Unless he has a couple more 157 yard games he should break the 4,000 yard mark this year. For only the 2nd time in his career. And he will be lucky to get 20 passing TDs.

It is not impossible to improve on Dalton like some around here seem to think. Absolutely things could be worse at QB. But we could also do better.

What are those? Dalton's QB rating in his playoff games.

Give a lot of QBs one of the best WRs in the game and one of the best TEs in the game and one of the best defenses. And they too will win games.

Dalton is solid and has a favorable contract. But what if he isn't the answer? AJ McCarron won the games he was supposed to win last year. And almost beat the eventual Super Bowl champs at their house and barely lost a playoff game that we should have won. We have a good team. A top QB would dominate with this team around him (and a non-shitbag head coach).
Reply/Quote
I don't know if Dalton is the guy, or if McCarron is either. The offense has been so putrid this year that it's hard to make any kind of evaluation, to be fair.

The problem with QB's like Dalton is that you can't let him go if you don't have a better option, and until you have a better option, you can't let him go. The plus side is that our offense is designed to be balanced, which should take some pressure off the QB. The issue, obviously, is that we've been as balanced as a chubby kid sitting on a seesaw with an ant.
Reply/Quote
There's a thread for this ad naseum! Please move it and post it there. Six years of the same ole same ole is getting old real fast!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:47 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Just wondering where the Andy Dalton little drummer boys are? Do we put any of yesterdays loss on our QB? Or do we have some excuses?

Andy is an above average QB most of the time. But his performances in big games leave a lot to be desired. And I am not sold he can get us over the hump.

Little tidbit from the Bengals homepage. Dalton was 25th in the league in 4th quarter passer rating going into the Steelers game. And put up a 47.9 yesterday.

Unless he has a couple more 157 yard games he should break the 4,000 yard mark this year. For only the 2nd time in his career. And he will be lucky to get 20 passing TDs.

It is not impossible to improve on Dalton like some around here seem to think. Absolutely things could be worse at QB. But we could also do better.

What are those? Dalton's QB rating in his playoff games.

Give a lot of QBs one of the best WRs in the game and one of the best TEs in the game and one of the best defenses. And they too will win games.

Dalton is solid and has a favorable contract. But what if he isn't the answer? AJ McCarron won the games he was supposed to win last year. And almost beat the eventual Super Bowl champs at their house and barely lost a playoff game that we should have won. We have a good team. A top QB would dominate with this team around him (and a non-shitbag head coach).

Yep, but lets take a look back at that game.  It was eerily similar to yesterday.  We had a good first half, then the second half rolls around and we get blanked because why?  Wade Phillips made an adjustment from man coverage to zone, and we had no answer.  The Stoolers adjusted at the half yesterday, and.........we had no answer.  San Diego WC game, 2013, BJGE had around 50 yards at the half and was averaging over 5 YPC (not to mention Benny owned SD his entire career), only to be benched.  The coaching truly is the biggest downfall of this team.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They're all probably in the Ultimate Andy Dalton thread like usual. Mellow

There isn't one player who is the answer in a team sport. So when most of us acknowledged that the o-line has sucked this year, we failed to transition from the loss of Jones and Sanu and the defense has been a disappointment that it was gonna limit Dalton. Team sports work that way sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, but lets take a look back at that game.  It was eerily similar to yesterday.  We had a good first half, then the second half rolls around and we get blanked because why?  Wade Phillips made an adjustment from man coverage to zone, and we had no answer.  The Stoolers adjusted at the half yesterday, and.........we had no answer.  San Diego WC game, 2013, BJGE had around 50 yards at the half and was averaging over 5 YPC (not to mention Benny owned SD his entire career), only to be benched.  The coaching truly is the biggest downfall of this team.

Abso-freakin'-lutely. Our coaches have NO IDEA what halftime is for. They make no adjustments ... EVER. I suspect Marv and the rest of the coaches just go into his office for a circle-jerk.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:27 PM)PV Bengal Wrote: Abso-freakin'-lutely. Our coaches have NO IDEA what halftime is for. They make no adjustments ... EVER. I suspect Marv and the rest of the coaches just go into his office for a circle-jerk.

Yessir, and that's only three games right off the top of my head......

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:01 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I don't know if Dalton is the guy, or if McCarron is either. The offense has been so putrid this year that it's hard to make any kind of evaluation, to be fair.

The problem with QB's like Dalton is that you can't let him go if you don't have a better option, and until you have a better option, you can't let him go. The plus side is that our offense is designed to be balanced, which should take some pressure off the QB. The issue, obviously, is that we've been as balanced as a chubby kid sitting on a seesaw with an ant.

*channeling my inner fredtoast*

The offense ranks top 10, but bottom ten in almost every red zone category. And lets not even start with the second half collapses. How many of those have we had? 4 or 5? More? 

I would put that on coaching. No way talent isn't there, especially the way they look for halfs vs good d's like ratbirds and shittsburg.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:05 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: There's a thread for this ad naseum! Please move it and post it there. Six years of the same ole same ole is getting old real fast!!!

If that's the case, then you might as well shut the whole damn website down because the "same ole" applies to this entire organization!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yessir, and that's only three games right off the top of my head......

49 second half yards yesterday. fourty freaking nine yards. Totally and utterly unacceptable 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:12 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: They're  all probably in the Ultimate Andy Dalton thread like usual.  Mellow

There isn't one player who is the answer in a team sport. So when most of us acknowledged that the o-line has sucked this year, we failed to transition from the loss of Jones and Sanu and the defense has been a disappointment that it was gonna limit Dalton. Team sports work that way sometimes.

Is that all it takes? 3 high priced WRs. Elite OL play. One of the top pass catching TEs in the league. Two second round RBs. And a studly defense. Then we can count on Dalton to get us wins? That isn't franchise QB material. 

They loaded the box to stop the run yesterday. Dalton was sacked one time. No pass catcher other than Lafell had more than 18 yards. 

I blame a lot on the coaches. But it is the players on the field actually playing. In a close winnable game, it was our QB who put up a 47.9 QB rating in the 4th quarter. It wasn't Marvin Lewis or Zampese out there throwing the ball it was Dalton who led us to one first down in the 4th quarter. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yessir, and that's only three games right off the top of my head......

The San Diego debacle of 2006 sticks out the most. That's the day I lost a whole lot of faith in Marvin. 
Reply/Quote
The interception where he threw it right to Timmons was bad and certainly hurt us...but I can't fault him for the loss. Not being able to run the ball is the big bane of the offenses existance.

Dalton has played extremely well in the absence of Green.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:48 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: The San Diego debacle of 2006 sticks out the most. That's the day I lost a whole lot of faith in Marvin. 

I was there at that game.  The Bengals were up 28-6 at half time and everyone in the food line knew San Diego would come back and win.
Reply/Quote
Dalton's "drummer boys" are probably where OP was for the last 2 weeks (and most of the season outside of maybe 3 games).Ninja

Seriously though, my stance hasn't changed. Dalton is having a fine season...especially considering the circumstances. The RZ passing has been my biggest gripe with him this season, but I think that's more of a problem with the offense itself. Dalton threw 60 TDs in 12-13, and he threw 25 in 12 games last year. So Dalton has already proven he can get the ball in the EZ in the past.

People blaming Dalton right now are no better than Detroit fans who wanted to trade Stafford last year. The Lions shit-canned their OC, brought in Jim Bob Cooter, and voila! Stafford's been dominating ever since. Look...We've all seen what Dalton is capable of. If he's not producing at or near that level, that's a coaching (and blocking issue). Same as with Stafford last year, who was getting beat to death and playing in a dysfunctional offense.

As for this particular game, we had no AJ, the Steelers schemed away Eifert and Boyd. Hill had like 20 carries for 40 yards. What was Dalton supposed to do? He scored 20 points, which is more than what the "hero" did in January.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:44 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Is that all it takes? 3 high priced WRs. Elite OL play. One of the top pass catching TEs in the league. Two second round RBs. And a studly defense. Then we can count on Dalton to get us wins? That isn't franchise QB material. 

They loaded the box to stop the run yesterday. Dalton was sacked one time. No pass catcher other than Lafell had more than 18 yards. 

I blame a lot on the coaches. But it is the players on the field actually playing. In a close winnable game, it was our QB who put up a 47.9 QB rating in the 4th quarter. It wasn't Marvin Lewis or Zampese out there throwing the ball it was Dalton who led us to one first down in the 4th quarter. 

It sounds like you don't want a franchise QB it sounds like you want an elite HoF QB like Rodgers, Brady or Manning. Well wouldn't we all?
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The interception where he threw it right to Timmons was bad and certainly hurt us...but I can't fault him for the loss. Not being able to run the ball is the big bane of the offenses existance.

Dalton has played extremely well in the absence of Green.

I actually think he effed up and saw Bodine and was throwing the ball to him.....then Bodine ducks and......voila!  Free turnovers here!

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:47 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Little tidbit from the Bengals homepage. Dalton was 25th in the league in 4th quarter passer rating going into the Steelers game. And put up a 47.9 yesterday.

Yes he did -- and Andy Dalton could have made a few different decisions like the throw intercepted by Lawrence Timmons.  I know Andy would love to take that pass back.  But let's be totally honest here:  The Bengals had no running game, AJ Green was on the sideline, the Steelers double and triple covered Tyler Boyd, and in the second half Pittsburgh fielded only two down lineman and dropped as many as nine people into coverage.                      
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 05:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote:
Yes he did -- and Andy Dalton could have made a few different decisions like the throw intercepted by Lawrence Timmons.  I know Andy would love to take that pass back.  But let's be totally honest here:  The Bengals had no running game, AJ Green was on the sideline, the Steelers double and triple covered Tyler Boyd, and in the second half Pittsburgh fielded only two down lineman and dropped as many as nine people into coverage.                      

.....and our illustrious coaches decided to go with the "hot hand" and pound Jeremy Hill's sorry ass into the line for a 1/2 yard at a time, while Burkhead rode the pine. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:48 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: The San Diego debacle of 2006 sticks out the most. That's the day I lost a whole lot of faith in Marvin. 

That's definitely on the "Greatest Hits" compilation....... Ninja

Reply/Quote