Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st pick overall in better shape
Due to NY winning today, the Bengals have two games on all competitors in the race for #1. Given the team’s multiple, massive holes and aversion to FA, landing the top pick is ideal. A loss to either Miami and Cleveland will secure it. The question is, do you see the team trading down and acquiring picks given all these holes on the o-line, at LB, at QB, and WR/TE.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
It they view Burrow as a legit franchise type quarterback, there's no way they trade down, IMO. 
Reply/Quote
What I want:
Lose to Miami next week.
CRUSH Cleveland in week 17 after the #1 pick is locked up.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 06:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It they view Burrow as a legit franchise type quarterback, there's no way they trade down, IMO. 

Agree,

1. MB doesn't like trading really at all.

2, He's been looking for his Otto Graham since he first became the HMFIC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 06:25 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Due to NY winning today, the Bengals have two games on all competitors in the race for #1.  Given the team’s multiple, massive holes and aversion to FA, landing the top pick is ideal.  A loss to either Miami and Cleveland will secure it.  The question is, do you see the team trading down and acquiring picks given all these holes on the o-line, at LB, at QB, and WR/TE.

I don't see us trading down.  Burrow and Young are just too good to pass on, and the Bengals are likely going with Burrow.  That would allow them to move Dalton for an extra day 2 pick.  This is a good OT draft and a ridiculously deep WR class, so they should be able to get help there, too. 
Reply/Quote
This will be the year the Bengals decide pocket passers aren't worth it and pass on Burro
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 06:35 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't see us trading down.  Burrow and Young are just too good to pass on, and the Bengals are likely going with Burrow.  That would allow them to move Dalton for an extra day 2 pick.  This is a good OT draft and a ridiculously deep WR class, so they should be able to get help there, too. 

Fingers crossed somebody can talk MB into a couple real free agents as well ?

Doesn't hurt to dream
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 06:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fingers crossed somebody can talk MB into a couple real free agents as well ?

Doesn't hurt to dream

Fred should be on here shortly to tell you all about 2005 or 2011 and free agency. My guess is it’s far more likely the team trades down than spends big money on top tier free agents. As long as Mike is GM upper crust FA’s will be eschewed for bargain bin and former 1st round prove it contracts.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 06:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fingers crossed somebody can talk MB into a couple real free agents as well ?

Doesn't hurt to dream

This last free agency period was the worst I've seen from the Bengals in awhile. I've had issues with their free agency approach for many years, but it felt like they gave absolutely zero shits this time around...taking the easiest, laziest route they could.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 06:42 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Fred should be on here shortly to tell you all about 2005 or 2011 and free agency.  My guess is it’s far more likely the team trades down than spends big money on top tier free agents.  As long as Mike is GM upper crust FA’s will be eschewed for bargain bin and former 1st round prove it contracts.

Oh I know the drill. Former 1st round 30+ something checkered past just out of double knee surgery and hip replacement. Hobspin will write an article proclaiming he'll be All pro this season. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 06:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: This last free agency period was the worst I've seen from the Bengals in awhile. I've had issues with their free agency approach for many years, but it felt like they gave absolutely zero shits this time around...taking the easiest, laziest route they could.

It's bad when you sign a guy to multi year contract for fairly big bucks then cut him in week 11 or whatever. The Raiders have since cut him as well.
Reply/Quote

Doesn't hurt to dream

I'm hoping getting swept by the Browns 2 years in a row will wake his ass up.

Reply/Quote
It's Burrow or bust to me. If we need to trade down, trade down at the top of round 2...that pick gets popular sometimes.
Reply/Quote
Of the Bengals win out and the the Giants for the same record, who gets the first pick?
Any idea what the tie breaker is?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 07:30 PM)Sensei Wrote: Of the Bengals win out and the the Giants for the same record, who gets the first pick?
Any idea what the tie breaker is?

Giants have the tie breaker due to their easier strength of schedule. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
At this point, we need impact players. We have to roll the dice with Burrow. A great QB is the only chance this franchise has to win with this management/coaching staff.

That said, there's atleast some risk to Burrow as he kind of came from nowhere to do this all.
Reply/Quote
Since Andy is under contract for another year, if we get Burrow, what are the chances he sits for a season like we did with Palmer? Pros? Cons?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 07:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: At this point, we need impact players. We have to roll the dice with Burrow. A great QB is the only chance this franchise has to win with this management/coaching staff.

That said, there's atleast some risk to Burrow as he kind of came from nowhere to do this all.

Not really.  He's worked hard and developed himself into a complete QB.  His first 2 years at Ohio St., he was definitely a "run first" mentality at QB.  Sure, he tried to show some poise, in his Sophomore year backup duties, but his arm was still pretty raw.  He enlisted the help of a private QB coach, worked on his throwing mechanics, before losing a really close Spring competition with Dewayne Haskins.  

That led to him transferring to LSU, and the whole step into the unknown.  I say unknown because LSU had always been a traditional, I-formation, smash mouth-stop the run if you can, type of team.  They were in the midst of making sweeping changes to their offensive approach, while Burrow was the new kid in town, from out of town.  Despite the growing pains associated with being a first year starter, Burrow put up noteworthy numbers, and had several attention getting moments from his Junior year.

What we have seen this year, is the polished product.  The cumulative efforts of a coach's son, who knows the value and reward of hard work and doing whatever it necessary in order to improve.  Joe has steadily worked toward what I'm sure he feels is his destiny, to be a franchise QB for an NFL team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 07:42 PM)kdgjr Wrote: Since Andy is under contract for another year, if we get Burrow, what are the chances he sits for a season like we did with Palmer? Pros? Cons?

Burrow is 23 now. I think you play him next year. This is a 1-13 team. We know what Andy can do.

Burrow is the future. Time to play him.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 07:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Giants have the tie breaker due to their easier strength of schedule. 

Thanks. I wasn't sure how that played out.
Reply/Quote