Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st pick overall in better shape
(12-16-2019, 07:10 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I didn't realize the strength of schedule for the Bengals this season is .575, the highest of any team in the NFL.
So that tells me the Bengals aren't as bad as I've thought them to be.  A great draft could be the kick in the pants they need for an 8-8 season in 2020.  Chase Young or Burrow?  I've seen plenty of Young on B1G TV this season.  He looks like a sure star in the NFL.  Burrow I've seen once.
Young is the safe pick and that's probably the way the Bengals go. 

Yea it’s pretty crazy. Wish they had a SOS for right when the season ends. Teams fall apart every year and dont live up to the expectations. I hate the SOS. Does anyone know if it is adjusted as the season goes on?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 10:09 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: My only wish, and i"ve lowered my standards dramatically for the upcoming draft is.. just PLEASE, PLEASE make sure they make sure they are healthy.

Ross & Jonah was too much!  Heck, make the MRI scanner a requirement.

Thanks.

I agree, but thought Jonah had no injury history and got hurt in Bengals camp. How could Bengals predict that?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 05:22 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: were not out of the woods yet win out and we more than likely not even picking 2nd.

We win against the Dolphins n Browns and we will be picking 3rd. That would be awful n just put a nail to this season. They would reach for Tua at that point.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 07:10 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I didn't realize the strength of schedule for the Bengals this season is .575, the highest of any team in the NFL.
So that tells me the Bengals aren't as bad as I've thought them to be.  A great draft could be the kick in the pants they need for an 8-8 season in 2020.  Chase Young or Burrow?  I've seen plenty of Young on B1G TV this season.  He looks like a sure star in the NFL.  Burrow I've seen once.
Young is the safe pick and that's probably the way the Bengals go. 

Yep. The biggest difference in most of our losses was the other team had a QB who actually makes plays, and we didn't. Its like playing with one arm tied behind your back when you're this limited at the QB position.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 01:34 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We win against the Dolphins n Browns and we will be picking 3rd. That would be awful n just put a nail to this season. They would reach for Tua at that point.

Hope I’m wrong but I’ve been telling friends that want Burrow/Young that we will screw things up and pick no higher than 3rd. Things are shaping up that way. Miami and Cleveland don’t have a shot at the playoffs so these last two games are rare I say winnable. I so hope I’m wrong.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s also at least some chance Tua is a bust because he won’t be able to stay healthy.

He’s surrounded by NFL at every position. Even the back up Qb at Alabama put up insane numbers in his only start. Not a fan of Tua at all.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 01:45 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: He’s surrounded by NFL at every position. Even the back up Qb at Alabama put up insane numbers in his only start. Not a fan of Tua at all.

He is the one player I do not want. I will be pissed.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 05:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: If Tua and 2 other 1st's > Burrow, then why would the Dolphins or any other team give 3 1's for Burrow?  That's a big issue with a lot of hypothetical message board trades.  They generally assume that the other team is incompetent.

I like Tua as a prospect, but he's highly injury prone and may not even come out this year due to his injury.  I don't know that a team like ours that's gotten so little out of 1st round picks lately because of injuries can roll the dice on him in 1.  There is a significant chance that his hip injury really changes what he can do on the field.

The Browns have tried the trade down and fill holes and draft a lesser QB prospect over and over again. It doesn't work.  People forget that the Cowboys already had Aikman when they pulled the Walker trade. If you have a QB, you trade down to fill holes around him.  If you don't, you take the top guy if you have a shot at him.

It isn't a steadfast rule.  The Redskins gave a king's ransom to get RGIII and for a very brief period, it seemed to pay off.  

As far as why would the Dolphins give up all that for that pick, it is for the very reasons you stated later:  different schools of thought. 

It doesn't have to be the Dolphins, either.  What if a team like Jacksonville decides to mortgage everything to go after him....trying to gain attendance in the south?

I have stated a number of times that the debate is likely pointless and the Bengals will be taking Burrow, but I can't help but think if you are offered such a deal that passing on it is like passing on the Saints draft for Akili Smith all over again (and no, I don't think Burrow will still be drunk at some practices).  
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right, but the injury did happen. As did hip surgery. That’s scary stuff. Especially for that style of QB.

I know...like a throwing shoulder for a QB.  That is why Miami passed on Brees.  How did that work out for them?  Every situation has different risks.  Again, I only consider this scenario if they got an absolute haul of draft picks.  
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 08:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It isn't a steadfast rule.  The Redskins gave a king's ransom to get RGIII and for a very brief period, it seemed to pay off.  

As far as why would the Dolphins give up all that for that pick, it is for the very reasons you stated later:  different schools of thought. 

It doesn't have to be the Dolphins, either.  What if a team like Jacksonville decides to mortgage everything to go after him....trying to gain attendance in the south?

I have stated a number of times that the debate is likely pointless and the Bengals will be taking Burrow, but I can't help but think if you are offered such a deal that passing on it is like passing on the Saints draft for Akili Smith all over again (and no, I don't think Burrow will still be drunk at some practices).  

(12-17-2019, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know...like a throwing shoulder for a QB.  That is why Miami passed on Brees.  How did that work out for them?  Every situation has different risks.  Again, I only consider this scenario if they got an absolute haul of draft picks.  
If Miami is picking third and realistically has their choice of any other QB in the draft and is willing to give up 3 1's for Burrow, that should tell you something.  Either they think he's that good, the other QB'S are that bad, or both.

Minishew has played well for the Jags.  5-5 record as a starter, 17 TD's, 5 picks, and a QBR in the 90's.  If we're talking about team financials, Burrow will sell more tickets and merchandise than any other player the Bengals could take.

Not trading a pick will always be bad if you draft a bust.  I'm sure the Colts had a ton of offers when they took Peyton and I doubt they're kicking themselves for passing on them.

Brees is a bad example.  He rode the pine as a rookie and posted QBR's of 76 and 67 the following 2 years.  With the rookie wage scale, any current team would move on after that and draft another QB.  The Chargers basically rehabbed and developed him for the Saints. 
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 01:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree, but thought Jonah had no injury history and got hurt in Bengals camp. How could Bengals predict that?

They could not have, but man, the Bengals are snakebit with 1st rounders. Sometimes they just step in it by drafting injured underachievers like Ole-hee.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote