Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Cincinnati Reds season thread
(07-04-2016, 04:28 PM)kevin Wrote: He's been with the Reds before...and he's not very good.  ...So Reds sent down Hoover who they thought could replace Chapman.  Didn't the Reds see how awful Hoover was the last few years.  .....4th of July and I just turned them off after the 1st inning.  The Reds pitching is just too awful to watch.   I guess fans that don't know any better can go to the games. Some went in other last place years and didn't know any better.  The people that are just there for a hot dog.  I can't watch this lousy team. 

Good.  I am glad you won't be posting here any more this season.  We don't need bandwagon fans.
Reply/Quote
I may have to amend post #166, I really thought the pitching would start coming around (a bit). But right now they have the worst ERA in the majors by half a run per nine innings. They have the worst Bullpen ERA by a full run.

Votto has 83 strike outs and is batting .257 something you just can't have from your superstar, He's only on pace for like 85 RBI's.

Hamilton is continuing in his non-ability to get on base and hit at ML level. Suarez is batting .230 and our highest BA is Cozart at .271. One of our few bright spots has been Duvall with 22 HR's and 59 RBI's.

Bruce, one of the few to be doing anything will probably be traded soon as well as Phillips, whom I won't mind seeing go it's time. Now they go get a SS that can't hit ?? When pitching is such a glaring need.

Gonna be a long 2nd half !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2016, 02:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I may have to amend post #166, I really thought the pitching would start coming around (a bit). But right now they have the worst ERA in the majors by half a run per nine innings. They have the worst Bullpen ERA by a full run.

Votto has 83 strike outs and is batting .257 something you just can't have from your superstar, He's only on pace for like 85 RBI's.

Hamilton is continuing in his non-ability to get on base and hit at ML level. Suarez is batting .230 and our highest BA is Cozart at .271. One of our few bright spots has been Duvall with 22 HR's and 59 RBI's.

Bruce, one of the few to be doing anything will probably be traded soon as well as Phillips, whom I won't mind seeing go it's time. Now they go get a SS that can't hit ?? When pitching is such a glaring need.

Gonna be a long 2nd half !

It's gonna be long second half of this decade.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The team brain trust is hard at work taking the season off..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Mez having his second third fourth(?) labrum surgery.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 09:15 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Mez having his second third fourth(?) labrum surgery.

I never expected to him to repeat his '14 performance, but I was really counting on him to provide a good, above-average bat at catcher.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 10:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I never expected to him to repeat his '14 performance, but I was really counting on him to provide a good, above-average bat at catcher.

It's so unfortunate. It seems like the Reds FO has had a string of bad luck. 
Reply/Quote
I wonder when they will let Peraza play? They trade for him and I think he's had, what, 70 at bats?
Reply/Quote
Jay Bruce is on an absolute tear. Two more homers last night.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Disco goes 6 innings, allows 1 run to 24 batters. Iglesias goes 3 innings, no runs to 10 batters.

Diaz comes in and gives up a walk off home run to the first batter he sees. Adam Rosales, a .212 batter with 8 total home runs on the year.

Sad.
Reply/Quote
Walkoff win against the Cards is sweet no matter what the record is.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think it's time for Reed (0-6) to go back to AAA. I loved his potential, but he's not ready.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 12:11 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think it's time for Reed (0-6) to go back to AAA. I loved his potential, but he's not ready.

From what I've read about Reed he just can't seem to deal with the first inning which if that's his problem it's tough. It means he's automatically working from behind the rest of the game. I'm guessing they're going to move him to the pen just to get used to the big leagues, but knowing Price he'll make him opening day starter next year.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Interesting stat YTD

Billy Hamilton WAR 1.9
Bryce Harper WAR 1.5
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 10:19 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Interesting stat YTD

Billy Hamilton WAR 1.9
Bryce Harper WAR  1.5

Yea. Billy has been killing it this season, especially since the all star break.
Reply/Quote
Epic collapse last night. That was like a kick in the guts.
Reply/Quote
Watching the game.

There has to be fewer than a thousand fans in the stands. The place is empty.
Reply/Quote
If it's true all good things must come to an end, then it is also true all bad things must come to an end. So the Reds season ends Sunday. Three of the worst seasons in Reds history with many players traded but still no signs we got anything for those trades except cutting the payroll.

This team has got by on the All-Star Game in 2015 and the Tony Perez statue day, Nasty Boys Day, 1975 Reds Day, 1976 Reds Day and Pete Rose Day....2017 will bring Pete Rose statue Day...Heck, maybe we can even have George Foster day over his 1977 season. ....and the Reds history is great.....I will tell Reds ownership and Fox Ohio that the only Reds game I watched was Opening Game this year. I went somewhere and watched the Pete Rose weekend, which by Sunday I was very tired of. I did not watch the games, just the pregame on TV while I ordered some onion rings and a large 7 Up all 3 days. ...I dumped Cable TV last January, a big reason being I knew the Reds would be bad again. I had stopped watching Fox Ohio Reds in 2015. ...So I suggest Reds put a better team on the field or more people besides me may discover they do not need Fox Ohio or large TV cable bills each month. ....Yes, I'm old enough to remember watching Reds on free TV. AS bad as the 1982 Reds were, they were on TV for free. Paying cable bills to watch these losers is a waste of money....I will say to MLB as a whole that going rabbit ear TV again, very few baseball games are put on CBS, ABC, NBC or FOX....I see now why baseball is no longer the great American pastime sport....What is on free TV is soccer, which I do not watch, but more kids are playing soccer than baseball and this may be a reason why. NFL Football on CBS, Fox, NBC, no wonder it is the top TV sport in USA way ahead of baseball. You can plug in a TV with rabbit ears and watch NFL Football for free. ....I hope Cubs win, but if all these play-off games also cable, I won't be watching. When the college basketball championship game was on cable, I said the heck with it. If the World Series is on cable, the heck with it. More and more people are refusing to pay thousands of dollars a year for those cable channels. I think like 8 tracks and VCRs, cable has had it's glory days. They have out priced themselves going from 50 a month to hundreds of dollars a month but new digital TVs are having people turn in their cable and dish boxes by the millions rejecting yet another cable Rocky Movie Marathon or that Christmas movie cable runs 24 hours in a row as nobody is in the station. Even the pay per view movies are pretty weak offerings, many of them very old movies. ....Digital antenna TV and the internet are changing the playing field on the garbage cable has been palming off at outrages prices. We can include Reds last place baseball in there with the 24 hour burning yule time log, not worth hundreds of dollars a month for.

So we will see what 2017 brings for the Reds. My hopes are not very high. This franchise has comfortably settled into last place. Even I could have told them Hoover was not going to cut it. I think they may try to dump aging Phillips. Bailey and Mesoraco very injured last few years. I'm not even going to try to spell the name right of the injured catcher, if I got it right, fine. I think Price is pretty bad. I don't see many upsides going in 2017. Pretty sure we can clinch last place early again.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/current-2017-draft-order.html

The Reds end up with 2nd pick of the draft next year.
Reply/Quote
WAR makes so little sense to me.

Look at these numbers:
RK PLAYER TEAM AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO AVG OBP SLG OPS WAR
1 Joey Votto CIN 556 101 181 34 2 29 97 8 1 108 120 .326 .434 .550 .985 4.0
2 DJ LeMahieu COL 552 104 192 32 8 11 66 11 7 66 80 .348 .416 .495 .911 5.2

Votto has more runs, more doubles, way more home runs, way more RBI, a better stolen base percentage, way more walks, a higher OBP, a higher slugging percentage and a higher OPS, but DJ LeMahieu has 1.2 more WAR?

Are singles that much better than walks? And are the fewer strike outs that much more valuable?

Or maybe does this take defense into account in some way?

WAR is such a vexing statistic. Sometimes it feels like they pull it out of thin air.
Reply/Quote