Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Cincinnati Reds season thread
Reds are going to need a new designation. They're becoming an insult to the term last place. 19 games out June 1 shouldn't qualify for last.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the Reds will get better as the season goes on. They won't be the top of the heap but they won't be bottom of the barrel either. Things will change for the better when they start getting pitchers back.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 07:29 AM)McC Wrote: I think the Reds will get better as the season goes on.  They won't be the top of the heap but they won't be bottom of the barrel either.  Things will change for the better when they start getting pitchers back.

Haven't a significant portion of their losses been from the bullpen blowing a lead, in the latter innings?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 10:03 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Haven't a significant portion of their losses been from the bullpen blowing a lead, in the latter innings?

Yep.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Won 4 in a row, 5 out of 6.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 07:29 AM)McC Wrote: I think the Reds will get better as the season goes on.  They won't be the top of the heap but they won't be bottom of the barrel either.  Things will change for the better when they start getting pitchers back.

Agree,

They'll be a competitive team come August 1st or so. To far out to be a serious threat and not really enough pitching experience to make a run. But showing improvement.

Just hope they can make some moves and build up enough to be an up and coming contender next year.
Reply/Quote
Reds are terrible, but we all knew they would be. And that was BEFORE we lost a few pitchers to injury. The only thing I was looking for this season was signs of steady improvement over the course of the year from the young players.

The only real disappointments to me are Votto and Mesoraco. I had some doubt that Devin could match what he did in '14, but I thought he could at least provide some decent offense from the catcher position. And Votto is having BY FAR the worst season of his career. He has never been close to this bad even when he was hobbled with injuries.
Reply/Quote
Look at the Reds suddenly acting like a major league ball club.
Reply/Quote
If only they could have avoided that 2-16 streak between May 7th and May 27th, the Reds could still possibly have been in the running for a wildcard slot now that they are finally getting healthy again. That combination of DeSclafani and Iglesias against one of the hottest teams in Baseball last night would have been nice to have instead of the parade of disappointments we've sent out to the mound during May.

If they had just lost only 8 of those 18 rather than 16, they'd be sitting at 36-35 and right in the middle of the wildcard race with St. Louis, LA, and the Mets.

I have high hopes for next year though. Our young pitchers, such as Reed on Saturday and DeSclafani last night., look really really good. Reed should have been pulled after the 6th inning, which would have given him a quality start of 6 IP 2 ER. But they did have an 11 inning and a 13 inning game within the last 4 games, so it makes sense that they would push their starter a little bit, even if he was young.
Reply/Quote
Tough to say if they're going to put a winning team together or not. They've lost 6 of the last 7 and we can speculate all day on whether this pitcher or that hitter is going to be great (or terrible), but until proven otherwise it's still speculation. They absolutely have to have a solid pitching staff and guys who can score enough runs when the pitching isn't up to the task. With any team, baseball, football, basketball, you name it there are a lot of moving parts and they all need to work right at the same time. The current leadership isn't exactly inspiring.

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
DeSclafani is a star.
Reply/Quote
On my Fantasy Team I was beyond excited to see Kris Bryant on my team in one day put up 26 points with 3 homers and 2 doubles.....and later I remembered he was playing our Reds....I factor that in now. Our pitching is so awful, that I try to get players in the starting order if they bat against the Reds...It pays off about 95 % of time. ....Wow, Bryant really had a career day against Reds pitching.......I'm out to win, and Reds pitching always gives my hitters good numbers. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 06:09 AM)kevin Wrote: On my Fantasy Team I was beyond excited to see Kris Bryant on my team in one day put up 26 points with 3 homers and 2 doubles.....and later I remembered he was playing our Reds....I factor that in now. Our pitching is so awful, that I try to get players in the starting order if they bat against the Reds...It pays off about 95 % of time. ....Wow, Bryant really had a career day against Reds pitching.......I'm out to win, and Reds pitching always gives my hitters good numbers. 
Forget " career day ". What Bryant did had never been done before.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 09:03 AM)jason Wrote: Forget " career day ". What Bryant did had never been done before.

How nice it would be for Nick to be like Bryant is....
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Seems like every Reds pitcher is a AAA star, but a major league flop.. It's fine if they want to win the title in milb, but they need guys who can find success at the major league level..

Reply/Quote
I see the Reds made a move today. Sending Hoover down can only be a good thing. Anyone know much about Sampson?

http://700wlw.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/reds-sampson-up-hoover-down-14862378/

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Reds pitching is the worst in baseball...if you call that pitching.....I've given up that these young pitchers have a bright future in years to come. I know Reds tell us that, but I see nothing to back that up.......I see last place for years to come at this rate.....That said, it is July....which means Bengals Football not far away....As we wave good-bye to the Reds 2016 season, just as the 2015 season, Lousy from start to finish. 2017 probably more of the same if they just keep rolling out the same manager and same pitchers.

Bring on Bengals Preseason....the Reds are hopeless. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2016, 07:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I see the Reds made a move today.  Sending Hoover down can only be a good thing.  Anyone know much about Sampson?

http://700wlw.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/reds-sampson-up-hoover-down-14862378/

He's been with the Reds before...and he's not very good.  ...So Reds sent down Hoover who they thought could replace Chapman.  Didn't the Reds see how awful Hoover was the last few years.  .....4th of July and I just turned them off after the 1st inning.  The Reds pitching is just too awful to watch.   I guess fans that don't know any better can go to the games. Some went in other last place years and didn't know any better.  The people that are just there for a hot dog.  I can't watch this lousy team. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 04:28 PM)kevin Wrote: He's been with the Reds before...and he's not very good.  ...So Reds sent down Hoover who they thought could replace Chapman.  Didn't the Reds see how awful Hoover was the last few years.  .....4th of July and I just turned them off after the 1st inning.  The Reds pitching is just too awful to watch.   I guess fans that don't know any better can go to the games. Some went in other last place years and didn't know any better.  The people that are just there for a hot dog.  I can't watch this lousy team. 

When I lived in Ohio, I would still go to a few games in bad years.  Mainly because you could just about get tickets for nothing, and it was fun for the kids.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 05:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When I lived in Ohio, I would still go to a few games in bad years.  Mainly because you could just about get tickets for nothing, and it was fun for the kids.

This.

I of course don't like them sucking, but my son and I love baseball and there's nothing like that quality time. Nothing. Not even a slacking of my home team makes that a bad experience.  Cool
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote