Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Reds Season Thread
(06-08-2018, 07:59 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Both the team and Garrett point to his struggles last year being related to his hip injury and altered mechanics after “recovering”. I’m taking their word for it, that both issues are gone this year, so having a bad season (after the first month when he was dominant) shouldn’t be a reason for him not starting this year.

I'd try almost anyone at this point.  Reds starters are dead last in all of MLB in both ERA and WHIP.

Out of 92 MLB pitchers with enough innings to qualify our top three starters rank 60th, 87th, and 91st in ERA.
Reply/Quote
Another beauty for Harvey last night...
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 12:52 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Another beauty for Harvey last night...

Castillo gives up 5 ER in the first three innings today.

This has to be murder on a manager.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 06:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Castillo gives up 5 ER in the first three innings today.

This has to be murder on a manager.

What is broken, that trade, after trade and high first round picks for pitchers and they all turn out like this?

Edit: Anybody know about Barnhart's ability to call a game? I haven't necessarily read anything bad about that part of his game, haven't read anything good about it either. Never been a catcher or pitcher myself, so it's not something I can watch during a game and give a critique of.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 10:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd try almost anyone at this point.  Reds starters are dead last in all of MLB in both ERA and WHIP.

Out of 92 MLB pitchers with enough innings to qualify our top three starters rank 60th, 87th, and 91st in ERA.

After the All-Star break, I'd roll with the following rotation:

Castillo
Mahle
Disco
Harvey
Garrett

I'd get Finnegan into the pen, as he has a reliever's build (i.e. small).  Trade Iglesias and possibly Hughes.  If injury or abject failure strikes one of the 5 starters mentioned, Lorenzen would be the first one I'd slot for another starting role, then probably Stephenson on a last-ditch effort to see if he can catch on as a starter.  

This season was a loss before it started.  If they can have 3 pitchers that look like they can go into 2019 as solid pieces (obviously not aces or even TOR locks), then it's probably a victory for the organization.  I think Mahle fits that role.  I also think Castillo has a chance to figure it out before all is said and done.  He has the stuff, he just need to settle down and gain a bit more experience.  He was called up from AA last year much earlier than anyone expected and he's still very much a work in progress.  

I'd hope than either Garrett catches on as a starter or Disco regains his pre-injury form by then end of 2018.  If you get these things to click, then you do what actual MLB front offices do and sign some proven talent to fill out the staff in the offseason.  If they don't want to go that route, then I'd probably expect rebuild number 2 to begin with Votto, Gennett, and whoever else they can move sold off to infuse more talent into the farm.  Possible contending date gets pushed back to 2022.  The new potential contending core becomes Suarez, Senzel, Winker, Greene,Trammell, and India.  That would be a sad situation.
Reply/Quote
Cincinnati Browns. Ugh!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Reds are 20-18 since May 7th, where they started 8-27.

It took them a while, but they're actually playing close to .500 ball nowadays.

That's a rather massive improvement compared to the beginning of the season.
Reply/Quote
We had a winning record after the All Star break last year IIRC. Trying to put some positivity into this season and give us a glimmer of hope. I just don't understand how we can be this terrible at doing a rebuild. It defies logic. I look at where the Braves are currently and just sigh.
Reply/Quote
Suarez !!!

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Reds are on a winning streak. At least there is something positive. It would be surprising if they can take 3 out of 4 against the cubs. Disco is pitching so they may have a chance. I sort of hope they can keep Harvey around after the season since Bailey has moved to RP.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 06:17 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Reds are on a winning streak.  At least there is something positive.  It would be surprising if they can take 3 out of 4 against the cubs.  Disco is pitching so they may have a chance.  I sort of hope they can keep Harvey around after the season since Bailey has moved to RP.

It'll be interesting to see what they'll do at trade time.  I just hope they aren't big sellers.  They're getting close to having a good team.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 12:38 PM)McC Wrote: It'll be interesting to see what they'll do at trade time.  I just hope they aren't big sellers.  They're getting close to having a good team.

Forgive my ignorance, as I haven't followed the Reds as closely as I used to.  Do they have enough collateral to trade for a solid starting pitcher, without having to sacrifice any of the young, rising talent currently on the roster?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 12:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Forgive my ignorance, as I haven't followed the Reds as closely as I used to.  Do they have enough collateral to trade for a solid starting pitcher, without having to sacrifice any of the young, rising talent currently on the roster?

I'd say they do.  But they are probably too far away to be a buyer at this point.  Once again, murdered by a horrible start. I'm just hoping they'll be keepers.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2018, 03:33 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Suarez !!!

He's having a monster year.  The swing was obvious right from the start.  But he has come a long way in a hurry.  The Reds' 3-4-5 matches up with just about anybody.

Reply/Quote
Well, shit.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-prospect-nick-senzel-out-for-season/c-282546714
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 12:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Forgive my ignorance, as I haven't followed the Reds as closely as I used to.  Do they have enough collateral to trade for a solid starting pitcher, without having to sacrifice any of the young, rising talent currently on the roster?

Gennete is probably their best player now so I hope they sign him to a long-term commitment and move him to left field.  When Senzel comes back from his injury and moves up to the majors they can keep him at second base.  I think they should sign Harvey If he continues to do well.

They can move their closer and probably get a decent Prospect. The Reds also have players in a bullpen they could probably move but I hope they keep them to be honest.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 04:23 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Gennete is probably their best player now so I hope they sign him to a long-term commitment and move him to left field.  When Senzel comes back from his injury and moves up to the majors they can keep him at second base.  I think they should sign Harvey If he continues to do well.

They can move their closer and probably get a decent Prospect. The Reds also have players in a bullpen they could probably move but I hope they keep them to be honest.

I was thinking like moving prospects for a 4th/5th man in rotation type of starter.  Not an ace, but a guy that can give you 5-7 good innings on a regular basis, keep an under 5.00 ERA, and not come completely unglued when he does give up a run or two.

I guess what had me thinking prospects as trade collateral, was I was reading how some questioned why the Reds would draft a 3B so high this year, when they already have two in the pipeline.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 04:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I was thinking like moving prospects for a 4th/5th man in rotation type of starter.  Not an ace, but a guy that can give you 5-7 good innings on a regular basis, keep an under 5.00 ERA, and not come completely unglued when he does give up a run or two.

I guess what had me thinking prospects as trade collateral, was I was reading how some questioned why the Reds would draft a 3B so high this year, when they already have two in the pipeline.
The third baseman the Reds drafted this year can play Outfield According to some in the know. The Reds may actually trade center fielder Hamilton and move Shebler there.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Reds have won 8 of 10 and are ahead 6-2 today.

They are 22-18 since starting 8-27.

Offense is decent (4th in NL in BA, 2nd in OB%, 4th in OPS)

Pitching is horrible (Last (15th) in NL in WHIP, Slg%, OB%, and HR.  Next to last (14th) in BA and OB%, 13th in ERA)

Bullpen is not good but not embarrassing.

Starting pitching is embarrassing.  Arguably worst in the major leagues.
Reply/Quote
There is no way the Cincinnati Reds should be in last place. I just got back from the game where the Reds absolutely curb stomped the Cubs 11-2. Seeing Anthony diSclafani hit a grand slam home run is something I’ll never forget. That team is loaded with talent.
Reply/Quote