Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Reds Season Thread
(06-23-2018, 09:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There is no way the Cincinnati Reds should be in last place. I just got back from the game where the Reds absolutely curb stomped the Cubs 11-2. Seeing Anthony diSclafani hit a grand slam home run is something I’ll never forget. That team is loaded with talent.

I swear this team has like 5 grand slams in the past 2-3 weeks.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 09:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There is no way the Cincinnati Reds should be in last place.  I just got back from the game where the Reds absolutely curb stomped the Cubs 11-2.  Seeing Anthony diSclafani hit a grand slam home run is something I’ll never forget.  That team is loaded with talent.

If they only had a decent starting pitching rotation they'd be a competitive team. True #1 20 game winning ace, really good 15 game winning #2 and so on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 11:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If they only had a decent starting pitching rotation they'd be a competitive team. True #1 20 game winning ace, really good 15 game winning #2 and so on.

I hope we don't have to wait for Greene to be ready, for that.  He's been on a TEAR the last 6-7 games, but he still has a lot of growing to do. Probably won't be ready until at least 2020.
Reply/Quote
So, I've been checking the Reds score every half hour or so. I just noticed they put up 6 in the 7th, to take the lead. Shocked

If they can somehow attain a quality starter, they could be dangerous.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Wow the Reds sweep the cubs. Did not see that coming. Swept LA Dodgers in LA. I think they are on 7 game winning streak. Nice! I think Sal isn't quite there yet. I also add that the new manager and keeping Bailey from SP role has helped.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2018, 04:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, I've been checking the Reds score every half hour or so.  I just noticed they put up 6 in the 7th, to take the lead.   Shocked

If they can somehow attain a quality starter, they could be dangerous.

Do you think Jose Rijo is willing to come out of retirement?  Cool

Reply/Quote
The offense is plenty good. Gennett, Votto, Suarez, and Winker can all hit. Barnhart is solid for his position and Peraza seems to be steadily improving. Add Senzel to the mix in left next year, and you might have something special with that lineup.

If this team was willing to spend for two solid starters, then they could end this rebuilding nightmare relatively quickly. They probably have starters now that are capable of occupying the 3 thru 5 spots in the rotation. I have a feeling that they won't be, though. They are some cheap bastards in that front office. I expect more bobblehead nights and a healthy sprinkling of crying poor to the fans.
Reply/Quote
Pitching blows woody woodpecker turds, but at least the pitching staff can hit.. I'd trade every single grand slam ever hit by a pitcher for one who could win 20 games in a season and have an ERA under 3.00
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2018, 08:08 PM)samhain Wrote: The offense is plenty good.  Gennett, Votto, Suarez, and Winker can all hit.  Barnhart is solid for his position and Peraza seems to be steadily improving.  Add Senzel to the mix in left next year, and you might have something special with that lineup.  

If this team was willing to spend for two solid starters, then they could end this rebuilding nightmare relatively quickly.  They probably have starters now that are capable of occupying the 3 thru 5 spots in the rotation.  I have a feeling that they won't be, though.  They are some cheap bastards in that front office.  I expect more bobblehead nights and a healthy sprinkling of crying poor to the fans.
They need to shitcan the BH experiment . He's a great fielder, but can't hit worth squat.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 03:58 AM)grampahol Wrote: They need to shitcan the BH experiment . He's a great fielder, but can't hit worth squat.. 

I think the Reds could move Shebler to CF and trade Hamilton for prospect.  He is an elite CF defender.  Move Gennett to outfield and bring Senzel up next year and place him at 2nd base.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
If the Reds win the next 7 games, which would be 14 game winning streak, they would still be 3 games under .500. Could happen but doubt it. Nevertheless, the GM said the Reds are potentially buyers in upcoming trade deadline. That is a good sign. They will probably flip Harvey for someone, but they still need to replace Bailey in staring rotation with someone from the outside.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 03:58 AM)grampahol Wrote: They need to shitcan the BH experiment . He's a great fielder, but can't hit worth squat.. 

He is an enigma.

Two years ago he hit .260 and stole 58 basses in just 411 at bats.  He had some legit offensive skills.

He is still just 27 but he has gotten worse instead of better. (.214 and only 15 SB in 234 AB)
Reply/Quote

I'd like to keep him for a bench player, pinch runner, late inning defense. But he's not a regular starter
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2018, 10:16 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I swear this team has like 5 grand slams in the past 2-3 weeks.

7 in 33 days per tonights broadcast.
Reply/Quote

The worst pitching staff in the league and you want to get rid of the best defensive CF in the league because he’s not a great number 9 hitter? No team is going to have all their starters batting .300, sorry, get some perspective. Hamilton is far and away not the biggest problem for this team.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 11:42 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: The worst pitching staff in the league and you want to get rid of the best defensive CF in the league because he’s not a great number 9 hitter? No team is going to have all their starters batting .300, sorry, get some perspective. Hamilton is far and away not the biggest problem for this team.

I don't know about that jim ?

With Hamilton in the lineup we've essentially got two pitchers batting. That's quite a bit to overcome !

Yes BH is an all world defender and a fantastic base runner. But and it's a big BUT he can't consistently hit major league pitching ! Oh he'll go 4 or 5 games during a half dozen stretches a season and hit .300, couple doubles, a triple and HR. But the rest of the season he's batting a buck twenty five, strikes out way to much for a non power hitter and rarely walks !! Oh and he leaves a lot to be desired as a bunter. If he was just an average bunter he could add 40/50 points to his on base %.

If you had a team with a true leadoff man, and 3 or 4 stud power hitters you could probably get away with burying BH batting 9th and still win a lot.

But he's quite a liability at the plate for any average team.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 12:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't know about that jim ?

With Hamilton in the lineup we've essentially got two pitchers batting. That's quite a bit to overcome !

Yes BH is an all world defender and a fantastic base runner. But and it's a big BUT he can't consistently hit major league pitching ! Oh he'll go 4 or 5 games during a half dozen stretches a season and hit .300, couple doubles, a triple and HR. But the rest of the season he's batting a buck twenty five, strikes out way to much for a non power hitter and rarely walks !!

If you had a team with a true leadoff man, and 3 or 4 stud power hitters you could probably get away with burying BH batting 9th and still win a lot.

But he's quite a liability at the plate for any average team.

It's the Major Leagues, for cryin' out loud.  Ain't they got hitting coaches to work with guys like that??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 12:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's the Major Leagues, for cryin' out loud.  Ain't they got hitting coaches to work with guys like that??

One would think ? Oh and how the hell is it a friggin major league team can't bunt ? There's like two guys on the team that can bunt. The rest you close yours eyes the entire at bat, Hamilton among them.
Reply/Quote
If Billy could just hit 250, he'd be a legit star.

I'd personally like to see him replaced with a better leadoff hitter. That said, I'd hate to see him pull and Edwin Encarnacion and become a bona-fide stud after being traded away. It's not that hard to see happening.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 10:57 PM)samhain Wrote: If Billy could just hit 250, he'd be a legit star.  

He hit .260 in '16.

Have no idea what happened since then.  He is drawing a few more walks but even his base stealing is down.
Reply/Quote