Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020 Presidential Election
(07-02-2020, 05:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Many people are saying this.

Many people... That's a record... Never seen numbers like this.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
[Image: 106683458_10100329596981995_727404586226...e=5F27D91B]
Mellow
[Image: 106217686_10100329597016925_864937661849...e=5F2509E8]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.

(07-04-2020, 04:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: 106683458_10100329596981995_727404586226...e=5F27D91B]
Mellow
[Image: 106217686_10100329597016925_864937661849...e=5F2509E8]

Trump did away with the tax advantage of home ownership for low and middle income families.

Thanks, asshole.
I'm all for lower taxes. I would hope that all of us can agree on that. Maybe...maybe not.

But it's not like Biden is gonna lower taxes.

https://www.atr.org/biden-if-you-elect-me-your-taxes-are-going-be-raised
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1279746865504763906.html

Quote:312 views
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]
[Image: 18686907.jpg]
David Frum

[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]Karen Hughes tells a story in her memoirs that down-ballot Republicans would do well to remember in 2020 ... 1/x

Walking on a bench on holiday, she saw a small plane trailing an advertising flyer behind it. The flyer read, approximately, "Jill come back. I am miserable without you. Jack."

She thought: "Bad message, Jack. Too much about you, not enough about her." 2/x

By now, most Republican electeds realize that Trump has fatally mismanaged the pandemic.

By now, they must see that the economy will not "bounce back" or "rock" in the 3d quarter.

So the hunt is afoot for some other ballot issue that might save them from catastrophe. 3/x

The trouble is that even GOP electeds are now locked into a Fox-created bubble of unreality.

Outside that bubble, vandalism of statues looks like petty criminality, a minor local issue.

But *inside* the bubble, it's all statues 24/7. Exciting! 4/x

Lost your job? STATUES.

Your health insurance expiring? STATUES.

Mom's Florida friends heading to hospital? STATUES STATUES STATUES. 5/x

The hope behind the STATUES ALL THE TIME strategy is that maybe it can squeeze just a few more droplets of juice out of the angry non-college male demographic.

And maybe it will. But even here there's a problem. 6/x
[/color]

Trump is the incumbent president. If he loves statues so much, why didn't he protect them at the time? If AntiFa has seized control of great American cities, why doesn't he do something about it NOW?

The more Trump magnifies protests into city-wrecking riots ... 7/x

The more he magnifies his own failure. You can't run as Nixon 1968 when you are already Lyndon Johnson 1968 - the incumbent president who has lost already lost control of the situation. 8/x

Meanwhile everybody OUTSIDE the crazy Fox bubble can see that the US is simultaneously

a) engaged in a profound historical reckoning that has inspired cities and states to retire Confederate memorials

and

b) beset by some criminal mischief best handled by local police 9/x

Nobody who is worried about pandemic disease, job loss, security of health insurance will consent to make a national presidential ballot issue out of (b). 10/x

And while I am sure a great many people are quietly seething about (a) - they are all voting for Trump already. 11/x

The irony of it all is that the very LAST thing Trump and people around him want is vigorous enforcement of criminal law. They hired Bob Barr to put a stop to that! 12/x

The great RNC chair Haley Barbour wisely advised, "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing."

In 2020, the main thing is the VIRUS and the JOBS lost because of the virus.

Those issues have bored, baffled, and defeated Trump. 13/x

In face of Trump's failure, his co-partisans and their cable propaganda network are scavenging for ways to elevate something *other* than the "main thing" to be the "main thing." 14/x

The effort won't work. And the effort will actually make things *worse* by reminding key voters how little Trump Republicans care about - and how utterly they have failed to cope with - the most important issues in national life. END
(07-05-2020, 11:08 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I'm all for lower taxes. I would hope that all of us can agree on that. Maybe...maybe not.

Actually, we need to be raising taxes. Maybe not right now, because of the economic downturn, but we need to get over the whole poison pill that is a tax increase. It is necessary that we increase taxes during times of economic prosperity so that we do not continue to spend ourselves into oblivion and we can make up for the decades of tax cuts that have put us in this hole.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I'm sure if anyone wants to send in a little extra it's entirely possible.
(07-05-2020, 11:15 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Actually, we need to be raising taxes. Maybe not right now, because of the economic downturn, but we need to get over the whole poison pill that is a tax increase. It is necessary that we increase taxes during times of economic prosperity so that we do not continue to spend ourselves into oblivion and we can make up for the decades of tax cuts that have put us in this hole.

Amen!

Every local school district is cutting teachers and music programs and well, everything but sports of course, because they can't make ends meet but ZERO will consider raising taxes.  So frustrating.  They are so afraid.
(07-05-2020, 11:08 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I'm all for lower taxes. I would hope that all of us can agree on that. Maybe...maybe not.

I have 0 problem paying my fair share of taxes; even if it means raising them slightly. I would like to see it more on goods and services and less on income. The more money you make, the more you buy, the more you buy, the more taxes you pay. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Well, someone else has thrown their hat into the ring:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kanye-west-announces-2020-presidential-bid-in-bizarre-4th-of-july-tweet-035952465.html

Quote:“We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States! #@2020VISION,” West posted early Saturday evening, quickly setting off fireworks across the Twitterverse.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Listening to this as I copied the link and my wife wanted to know if I was watching a cult documentary.  Siad it just sounded like a chant.   Smirk

(07-05-2020, 11:09 AM)GMDino Wrote: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1279746865504763906.html

Outside that bubble, vandalism of statues looks like petty criminality, a minor local issue.

But *inside* the bubble, it's all statues 24/7. Exciting! 4/x

Lost your job? STATUES.

Trump is the incumbent president. If he loves statues so much, why didn't he protect them at the time? If AntiFa has seized control of great American cities, why doesn't he do something about it NOW?

A thinly disguised LEFTIST attempt to divert attention from they way they control schools and media.

Would we even have a Pandemic now if Obama had not left our healthcare and disease prevention institutions a shambles?
(07-05-2020, 11:08 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I'm all for lower taxes. I would hope that all of us can agree on that. Maybe...maybe not.

People can "be for" lower taxes all they like but voting D or R just doesn't hold water with the sentiment.  It's like wanting to be in great shape while eating ice cream every day. 

Cutting taxes while we spend boatloads of dollars on our favorite federal programs is like quitting your job and buying more stuff and just putting it on a credit card your children will have to pay off.