Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020 Presidential Election
(06-26-2020, 05:39 AM)samhain Wrote: Plays into the Bellichick strategy for consistent winning.  If you limit your mistakes efficiently, your opponent will eventually make enough of their own to tilt the balance of the game in your favor.  

Yep.  Biden is meeting with voters, tweeting, having online fundraisers and doing interviews.  Trump wanted the spotlight and he got it.  Now his supporters, who wanted to deny what a fool Trump was, want the spotlight OFF all that so they can keep getting Conservative judges and tax cuts.

That's what it boidown to:  "We don't want people seeing what a racist, stupid, unfocused fool DJT is!"

So Trump goes on Hannity live and throws word salads like this:

<

[Image: EbZ53wQWkAExka2?format=png&name=small]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
& the other candidate said we've had over 120 million deaths from CV-19. And will say much worse if they ever remove his muzzle.

Heck of a choice we have in these two. One that doesn't seem to care and will say just about anything & the other is a confused old man who's been in politics for 40 plus years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-26-2020, 10:00 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: & the other candidate said we've had over 120 million deaths from CV-19. And will say much worse if they ever remove his muzzle.

Heck of a choice we have in these two. One that doesn't seem to care and will say just about anything & the other is a confused old man who's been in politics for 40 plus years.

Sad as it is, the main difference is if someone pointed out that Biden is wrong about 120 million dying of covid there is a chance he might admit he misspoke rather than double down on his error.

A chance, not a certainty.  For all I know Biden rallies may have him leading chants of "200 million dead!" before we know it. 
(06-26-2020, 10:00 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: & the other candidate said we've had over 120 million deaths from CV-19. And will say much worse if they ever remove his muzzle.

Careful.  I don't think we're supposed use the dead a political pawns.  Mellow
You know exactly what I meant.
(06-26-2020, 10:00 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: & the other candidate said we've had over 120 million deaths from CV-19. And will say much worse if they ever remove his muzzle.

Their both confused old men. One has experience. The other founded Trump University so he could rip off working class Americans.

The guy who isn't currently holding office saying 120 million rather than 120 thousand is definitely not on the same level as the president going back and forth between saying if they were serious when they said that they want to stop testing to artificially lower the number of confirmed cases

Just like 2016, we need to stop pretending like a competent choice is just as bad of an option as the most inexperienced president in US history. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-26-2020, 01:39 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Their both confused old men. One has experience. The other founded Trump University so he could rip off working class Americans.

Trump knows he's wrong and doesn't care and wont take advice or change his mind.  The bar is at its lowest but a senile dope who may actually listen to reason is a better choice. 

Biden can say covid is a green giraffe that makes prog rock LPs about eating triangle castles and as long as he doesn't fire Fauchi and hamstring the people who actually know what they are doing he's leaps ahead of Trump. 

The bar.....is so low.
Tying into what I posted in another thread this morning about Trump being Trump I saw the article.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/trump-boring-now-and-he-cant-do-anything-about-it/613654/

Quote:Trump Is Boring Now and He Can’t Do Anything About It
Season 4 of The Trump Show just doesn’t have the zest and sparkle of the previous seasons.

Donald Trump has become boring.
For the president, this is the worst possible sin. He can handle infamy and hatred—indeed, he relishes being loathed almost as much as he relishes being loved. Both are, after all, attention. But being ignorable, tedious, and boring is the kiss of death for a politician like Trump. If he has made a central promise to his supporters—and to the public at large—it is to entertain. Now he is violating that commitment.

Trump can’t even turn out a crowd anymore; in the era of COVID-19, the president’s supporters voted with their feet when he summoned them to an indoor arena in Tulsa, Oklahoma, resulting in photographs of the president looking downtrodden. “When he landed back at the White House and walked off Marine One,” The New York Times reported, “his tie hung untied around his neck. He waved to reporters, with a defeated expression on his face, holding a crumpled red campaign hat in one hand.”

David Frum: This is Trump’s plague now

The president’s old tricks aren’t working either. He can’t seem to get people fired up about the supposed “deep state” coup attempt against him. His poll numbers are falling, and his numbers against the presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden, look dreadful. Republicans now fear not only Trump’s own loss, but the loss of the Senate as well.

And Trump’s reaction to it all has been typically self-absorbed and, well, uninteresting. It’s one thing to remind people that the economy is great under one’s watch, quite another to remind people that the economy used to be great under one’s watch—a little bit like Icarus running for reelection on having once flown high. It’s one thing to boast of having done a lot of coronavirus testing, quite another to run on whining that there has been too much coronavirus testing.

When the president is outrageous these days, many people can’t even be bothered to muster outrage. On Sunday morning, Trump approvingly retweeted (and then un-retweeted) a video in which a supporter of his shouted “White power!” several times. The clamor was lucky to make the Sunday talk shows, before fading away by midday. Even grotesque offensiveness is old news.

And Trump knows how important it is to entertain. He has admitted that he has tried to create his persona so as to grab attention. At a 2018 rally in Pennsylvania, in fact, he once riffed that the reason he didn’t act more “presidential” was because it would turn away audiences. “You know . . . how easy it is to be ‘presidential’?” he asked. “But you all would be out of here right now. You’d be so bored. . . .If I came [here] like a stiff, you guys wouldn’t be here tonight.”

Indeed, Trump’s instincts about the presidency rely pervasively on the idea that the president should be entertaining. The country, in Trump’s view, needs to be constantly transfixed on the president, or at least the president—if he is to be effective—needs to constantly be transfixing the country.

And Trump has long known as well what happens when one becomes boring. As the New York Times television critic James Poniewozik wrote in his book, Audience of One, describing how Trump’s obsession with television made and shaped his presidency:

Quote:[Trump] knew what the red light [of the television camera] wanted, because it was just like him. It didn’t care what you had given it before, only what you would give it next. If you didn’t have anything for it, you stopped existing until you did … If he kept the red light sated, it would help him. The red light put you into the unreal estate of TV, the place that was everywhere, that was better than the real world. When it turned off, you died, a little bit.

Yes, the Trump show still has its core fans, and a lot of them don’t seem to notice that Season 4 just doesn’t have the zest and sparkle of the previous seasons. But outside the fandom, a lot of people have stopped watching. And the ratings are down.

David A. Graham: Trump can’t bluff his way out of this

The White House seems to be road testing some efforts to revive the ratings. Most prominently, Trump has zeroed in on debates over the removal of Confederate monuments and other statues of historical figures with racist legacies. He sent out 15 tweets broadcasting efforts by the U.S. Park Police to identify protesters who vandalized a statue of Andrew Jackson that sits near the White House—some of which he then retweeted days later. And he signed an angry executive order on “Protecting American Monuments,” which had little practical effect but lambasted “left-wing extremists” as adherents to Marxism. Announcing how “tough” his administration has been toward protests over statues, he described to Fox News’ Sean Hannity his feeling that “we should let people know we’ve arrested a lot of people.” 

Meanwhile, Axios reports that the Trump campaign is attempting to tie Biden to these protests by suggesting that the former vice president is too weak to keep statues from being toppled—a somewhat strange argument, given that the statues have come down under Trump’s own watch.

All this adds up to an effort to turn the ongoing debates over statues and protests into a culture-war flash point—an issue that conservatives can point to in justifying a vote to reelect the president, lest the Marxist Democrats take over and all our statues suffer as a result.

This might have been effective were statue supporters a major voting bloc. But with more than 120,000 Americans dead from a pandemic, current COVID-19 rates exploding, and 40 million people having lost their jobs, it’s a little hard to imagine that the elevation of the problems of dead Confederates over those of living Americans is going to excite a great many voters. At a time when the country is experiencing not just the pandemic and the resulting economic collapse but also a genuine outpouring of anger about racial inequities, the president is not merely swimming against the tide of public opinion; he is doing so on a matter that seems like a non sequitur. And it’s hard to revive interest in yourself by spouting non sequiturs.

The aggressive defense of statues isn’t the only tactic Trump is using in his efforts to regain attention. As the election approaches, he’s also begun to make noise about voter fraud—aggressively enough that Twitter itself has stepped in to mark some of his tweets on the subject as incorrect. In a representative tweet from June 22, he warned of a “RIGGED 2020 ELECTION,” spreading a meritless claim that foreign countries could somehow use mail-in voting to slip in fraudulent ballots. “IT WILL BE THE SCANDAL OF OUR TIMES!”

Peter Beinart: Trump gets Trumpier under stress

Trump’s complaints about supposed fraudulent votes aren’t new, of course: He falsely announced that votes from noncitizens cost him the popular vote in 2016.  In a further effort to draw attention to the issue, the White House convened a commission on voter fraud—though the commission disbanded without finding any evidence of corruption in the election. This time, though, the circumstances make his tactic particularly unsettling. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, many more Americans will vote by mail in November than usually do so—a recipe for potential confusion and delays in ballot counting. In that environment, it isn’t hard to imagine how Trump could make use of a partisan electorate primed to distrust election results to generate real chaos.

That has the potential to lead to sky-high ratings for the final season of The Trump Show. A president throwing lit matches onto the gasoline of electoral uncertainty would definitely command attention. So too, perhaps, would a president refusing to hand over power to his successor on the grounds that the Democratic victory in 2020 wasn’t legitimate.

There’s just one hitch, though: For such a season finale to be truly riveting, Trump would have to lose.
(06-30-2020, 09:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: Tying into what I posted in another thread this morning about Trump being Trump I saw the article.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/trump-boring-now-and-he-cant-do-anything-about-it/613654/

I will say that you can't count out Trump until the electoral college points are tallied up, but the stands of that arena gave off the vibes of a band that should have broken up a few albums prior...or maybe a football team that fans are sick of trying to believe in.
(06-30-2020, 09:56 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I will say that you can't count out Trump until the electoral college points are tallied up, but the stands of that arena gave off the vibes of a band that should have broken up a few albums prior...or maybe a football team that fans are sick of trying to believe in.

You just never know.

In 2016 I couldn't believe that enough people would buy the snakeoil to give him the win.  I was wrong.  And I knew I was wrong early in the voting.

In 2020 I won't believe anything until I see the final results.
(06-30-2020, 10:01 AM)GMDino Wrote: You just never know.

In 2016 I couldn't believe that enough people would buy the snakeoil to give him the win.  I was wrong.  And I knew I was wrong early in the voting.

In 2020 I won't believe anything until I see the final results.

Yeah, well again the field is so slanted the guy could be down by 100 points in the poll and you wouldn't be able to call it for Biden, but if Biden were down a point it would be OVERRRRRR!!!

Like I said before, my bemusement is that whether he is ahead in the polls or behind, or he's packing stadiums or they are as empty as KISS on their Creatures of the Night tour it's all evidence that he's gonna win again.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/note-biden-turns-trump-messaging/story?id=71537025&cid=social_fb_abcn&fbclid=IwAR0cwlawpB5OOVD4MdtEYm-DKn4gLIKLSMa6v4Pjmga335P6wjE4-G-JAuQ&fbclid=IwAR0Z33drYidysWwgc290dcelF6WUTlUr-qu_GyEF41ZYX4lAbkJyw10ERGM

The Trump campaign bragged about dragging Biden out of hiding as Biden held his first press conference since the country began social distancing, but they have wished that they didn't.

Biden gave a well received, uncontroversial performance and flipped the script on Trump, mocking his declaration that he was a "wartime president" and saying that Trump surrendered and retreated against Covid-19.

Biden also hit Trump on the bounty report and laid out his plan to combat Covid-19.

The Trump campaign attacked the event as "embarrassing" and accused reporters of not being tough enough on Joe. One Biden advisor said of the Trump campaign, “We have ignored it. We do not care. We see it as totally a flailing, losing campaign"

(07-01-2020, 11:51 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/note-biden-turns-trump-messaging/story?id=71537025&cid=social_fb_abcn&fbclid=IwAR0cwlawpB5OOVD4MdtEYm-DKn4gLIKLSMa6v4Pjmga335P6wjE4-G-JAuQ&fbclid=IwAR0Z33drYidysWwgc290dcelF6WUTlUr-qu_GyEF41ZYX4lAbkJyw10ERGM

The Trump campaign bragged about dragging Biden out of hiding as Biden held his first press conference since the country began social distancing, but they have wished that they didn't.

Biden gave a well received, uncontroversial performance and flipped the script on Trump, mocking his declaration that he was a "wartime president" and saying that Trump surrendered and retreated against Covid-19.

Biden also hit Trump on the bounty report and laid out his plan to combat Covid-19.

The Trump campaign attacked the event as "embarrassing" and accused reporters of not being tough enough on Joe. One Biden advisor said of the Trump campaign, “We have ignored it. We do not care. We see it as totally a flailing, losing campaign"

As I've said before, the biggest thing working against Trump is that he has gone from the guy fighting the toxic status quo to the guy who is the toxic status quo. It'll be interesting to see if 4 years of having a guy who is nothing like a normal president as the president was enough to sour enough people on the prospect of another term.

I will say my morbid curiosity remains, though. I can't imagine Trump scaling back the crazy after getting reelected and he genuinely seems to be on a downward slope where he is saying more and more absurd things and pandering to a more and more extreme audience.
(07-02-2020, 01:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As I've said before, the biggest thing working against Trump is that he has gone from the guy fighting the toxic status quo to the guy who is the toxic status quo.  It'll be interesting to see if 4 years of having a guy who is nothing like a normal president as the president was enough to sour enough people on the prospect of another term.

I will say my morbid curiosity remains, though.  I can't imagine Trump scaling back the crazy after getting reelected and he genuinely seems to be on a downward slope where he is saying more and more absurd things and pandering to a more and more extreme audience.

What will happen in a fourth term, now that the "axis of adults" is gone and he doesn't have to worry about re-election?

The kind of things that kept him from war with Iran and pulling out of S. Korea?
(07-02-2020, 02:40 PM)Dill Wrote: What will happen in a fourth term, now that the "axis of adults" is gone and he doesn't have to worry about re-election?

The kind of things that kept him from war with Iran and pulling out of S. Korea?

I'm not sure, because even if you take the notion that the leftwing media is blowing everything Trump has done as president out of proportion, his first term and his actions and statements are well beyond what I predicted when he was elected.  If he's in there for a 2nd term I wouldn't rule anything out including the first ever divorce in the white house to his flat out resignation with a sour grapes exit speech where he tells us all what morons we are and that we don't deserve a savior like him.

I will say that I have a hard time seeing the toothpaste going back into the tube on this one.  Maybe he acts like a nut to get elected in 2020 and then calms down for a while, but eventually he's going to be back to his finger-pointing ways.
(07-02-2020, 01:33 PM)GMDino Wrote:  

that explains the recent nonsensical attacks I've seen under the comments of facebook posts about Biden. 

(07-02-2020, 03:17 PM)BmorePat8 Wrote: that explains the recent nonsensical attacks I've seen under the comments of facebook posts about Biden. 

No one thought we would be opening up that fast, Dino. NO ONE.

Sure there have been "flare ups" in a few places.

37 states maybe. Places where we opened up fast.

But it will be under control eventually. A lot of great people working on this.
Great people and they are getting great results.

The numbers are something. What nobody ever expected.

Economy is going to be great next year.  Strongest ever.
(07-02-2020, 05:47 PM)Dill Wrote: No one thought we would be opening up that fast, Dino. NO ONE.

Sure there have been "flare ups" in a few places.

37 states maybe. Places where we opened up fast.

But it will be under control eventually. A lot of great people working on this.
Great people and they are getting great results.

The numbers are something. What nobody ever expected.

Economy is going to be great next year.  Strongest ever.

Many people are saying this.