Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020 Presidential Election
(07-03-2019, 03:00 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Did you learn that in your forensics class in 2016 or your anthropology class in college you can't seem to remember?

For your journal update:
I didn't take an anthropology class in college; however,  I did take a Biology Class that had a segment geared toward forensics. I found it to be a good class.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-03-2019, 03:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have 0 idea what "game" I'm playing or what I'm not being honest about. Perhaps you or someone else can clue me in. I simply don't see the relevance between Trump introducing asserting Windmills cause cancer and Harris introducing the idea that Biden might be a racist.

At best it's whataboutisim, but it's irrelevant whataboutisim.

You randomly mentioned the windmill comment in a response to me as “absolutely no different” from Kamala’s comment, I disagreed, and then you then asked what the relevance of the windmill comment, which you introduced to the conversation, was...

Umm, the relevance was you mentioned it...?

Either you’re trolling or you forgot, and one seems far less likely.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-03-2019, 04:10 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: You randomly mentioned the windmill comment in a response to me as “absolutely no different” from Kamala’s comment, I disagreed, and then you then asked what the relevance of the windmill comment, which you introduced to the conversation, was...

Umm, the relevance was you mentioned it...?

Either you’re trolling or you forgot, and one seems far less likely.

You are correct. My apologies.

Upon reviewing the thread I now see the relevance I was trying to make. In both instances the POTUS and the candidate both said "I'm not saying it...I'm just throwing it out there for you to decide".

(07-03-2019, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For your journal update:
I didn't take an anthropology class in college; however,  I did take a Biology Class that had a segment geared toward forensics. I found it to be a good class.

That's funny because at first you claimed it was a forensics section in an anthropology class. Before claiming it was a forensics class. This is the first mention of a biology class.

Good talk.
https://peteforamerica.com/national-service-plan

Pete Buttigieg released a plan today calling for the promotion of national service. The three phase plan would first increase service opportunities in existing programs from 75,000 to 250,000.

It would then use grants to promote the development of local and state level service opportunities.

Finally, it would create three new service programs:

[Image: newGroups_web-1.jpg]

Having called for the US to "make not going to college affordable" in the last debate, Buttigieg wants to see US culture move to high school graduates engaging in a year or two of service before moving to post-secondary education, vocational training, or other career paths, using their experience to launch their careers and offering loan forgiveness to those who took part in service opportunities.

The Trump campaign was running video ads portraying Trump voters. An attractive blonde woman from Florida, a lifelong democrat from Texas, and a hipster coffee shop owner from Washington.

The only problem is these are models from stock videos produced by a foreign company and purchased off Getty Images, not actual voters.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/451494-trump-campaign-uses-foreign-stock-models-to-portray-supporters-in-ads?fbclid=IwAR1nxNnRgWME6eaWVCICzniYDYxFbeoItcRUq9RMm_xS3pnKEYZ-aq7D_Kk

(07-03-2019, 11:22 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://peteforamerica.com/national-service-plan

Pete Buttigieg released a plan today calling for the promotion of national service. The three phase plan would first increase service opportunities in existing programs from 75,000 to 250,000.

It would then use grants to promote the development of local and state level service opportunities.

Having called for the US to "make not going to college affordable" in the last debate, Buttigieg wants to see US culture move to high school graduates engaging in a year or two of service before moving to post-secondary education, vocational training, or other career paths, using their experience to launch their careers and offering loan forgiveness to those who took part in service opportunities.

I like the idea of civil service after high school being tied to tuition assistance for college or vocational training. Because I don't like the idea of compulsory military service tied to tuition assistance. Some people aren't a good fit or have talents which can be better utilized elsewhere in a field of their choosing.
(07-03-2019, 11:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The Trump campaign was running video ads portraying Trump voters. An attractive blonde woman from Florida, a lifelong democrat from Texas, and a hipster coffee shop owner from Washington.

The only problem is these are models from stock videos produced by a foreign company and purchased off Getty Images, not actual voters.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/451494-trump-campaign-uses-foreign-stock-models-to-portray-supporters-in-ads?fbclid=IwAR1nxNnRgWME6eaWVCICzniYDYxFbeoItcRUq9RMm_xS3pnKEYZ-aq7D_Kk

And Trump supporters will give no ***** about his campaign exporting jobs overseas instead of hiring American citizens.

Mar-a-lago v2.0
(07-03-2019, 04:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Upon reviewing the thread I now see the relevance I was trying to make. In both instances the POTUS and the candidate both said "I'm not saying it...I'm just throwing it out there for you to decide".

Nah, she also didn't say "some say you're a racist", like Trump would do.

I thought when she said he isn't a racist in her view, she was honest. 

This coming from someone who thought Harris' attack on Biden was a bit cheap. But I did not get the impression she wanted to call him a racist in a roundabout way. She accused him of being insensitive towards past racism in the country, which is not the same as painting him as a racist.
(07-04-2019, 04:25 AM)hollodero Wrote: Nah, she also didn't say "some say you're a racist", like Trump would do.

I thought when she said he isn't a racist in her view, she was honest. 

This coming from someone who thought Harris' attack on Biden was a bit cheap. But I did not get the impression she wanted to call him a racist in a roundabout way. She accused him of being insensitive towards past racism in the country, which is not the same as painting him as a racist.

She didn't say he isn't a racist. She said she doesn't think he is a racist. If she would have made the declarative I know you're not a racist that would have been different. She wanted to paint him as an old white man that has been insensitive to minority needs and allow others to "think" what that equates to.  

It was a measured move on her part and one she could exploit because she's a relatively young woman or color and he's a old white man. Some will excuse the attack or seems Nationally applaud it but the dynamic of excusing personal attacks in Political debate is nothing new. 

(07-03-2019, 11:22 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://peteforamerica.com/national-service-plan

Obviously I applaud innovations such as this. Of course these programs are only as successful as those who are willing to use it. There are already similar plans in place. Without goggling how many people have heard of the SMART Program? It's a program that offers financial assistance to kids who pursue STEM Majors and agree to use those skills in service of the DoD. It's where I direct many kids who are not a fit for the Military. 

(07-04-2019, 09:52 AM)bfine32 Wrote: She didn't say he isn't a racist. She said she doesn't think he is a racist. If she would have made the declarative I know you're not a racist that would have been different. She wanted to paint him as an old white man that has been insensitive to minority needs and allow others to "think" what that equates to.  

It was a measured move on her part and one she could exploit because she's a relatively young woman or color and he's a old white man. Some will excuse the attack or seems Nationally applaud it but the dynamic of excusing personal attacks in Political debate is nothing new. 

Oh!  So we can interpret what she MEANT not just her exact words.

Got it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
(07-04-2019, 10:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: Oh!  So we can interpret what she MEANT not just her exact words.

Got it.

Snark aside.... Trump said he "doesn't know" if Windmills cause Cancer. What do you think he wanted to put in folks heads when he said I don't know, you tell me? Or are we just take his exact words? 

I'll answer it is the same think Harris did when she said I don't think you're a racist, then laid out all this racist stuff, she was telling the American voter...I don't know, you tell me.

Personally I don't believe either one. Windmills don't cause cancer and Biden is not a racist.

(07-04-2019, 10:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Snark aside.... Trump said he "doesn't know" if Windmills cause Cancer. What do you think he wanted to put in folks heads when he said I don't know, you tell me? Or are we just take his exact words? 

I'll answer it is the same think Harris did when she said I don't think you're a racist, then laid out all this racist stuff, she was telling the American voter...I don't know, you tell me.

Personally I don't believe either one. Windmills don't cause cancer and Biden is not a racist.

For this to be the same Harris would have to have to have said "There those who are saying Joe Biden is racist. Can you believe that? I don't know..."

She said she does not believe he is racist.

It's been explained what Trump said and some people choose to bend themselves into knots to defend him.

But the two statements aren't even close to the same.

Not that that will dissuade the Trump defenders.  They look for anything from "the other side" to defend their daddy.
(07-04-2019, 10:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: For this to be the same Harris would have to have to have said "There those who are saying Joe Biden is racist. Can you believe that? I don't know..."

She said she does not believe he is racist.

It's been explained what Trump said and some people choose to bend themselves into knots to defend him.

But the two statements aren't even close to the same.

Not that that will dissuade the Trump defenders.  They look for anything from "the other side" to defend their daddy.

Surprisingly, we'll just disagree. Both statements where said to put the idea out there without the sender actually saying the words.

So on Trump and windmills you simply take him at his exact words or in that instance are you required to interpret what he meant?

(07-04-2019, 10:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Surprisingly, we'll just disagree. Both statements where said to put the idea out there without the sender actually saying the words.

So on Trump and windmills you simply take him at his exact words or in that instance are you required to interpret what he meant?

Read the post above your response.  Two different things were said in two different ways.

I will not rehash the pains some went through to defend just another in a string of dumb/uninformed things Trump said. You can go reread the thread for that.
(07-04-2019, 10:27 AM)GMDino Wrote: Read the post above your response.  Two different things were said in two different ways.

I will not rehash the pains some went through to defend just another in a string of dumb/uninformed things Trump said. You can go reread the thread for that.

It has been explained to you how they differ and it has been explained to you how they are similar. They were both said to put the idea in the listener's head. You can either believe that or not. 

(07-04-2019, 09:58 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Obviously I applaud innovations such as this. Of course these programs are only as successful as those who are willing to use it. There are already similar plans in place. Without goggling how many people have heard of the SMART Program? It's a program that offers financial assistance to kids who pursue STEM Majors and agree to use those skills in service of the DoD. It's where I direct many kids who are not a fit for the Military. 

Lots of different programs, but the plan notes that the acceptance rate for these programs is low. Americorps is about 15% while the Peace Corps is 20%. The SMART scholarship has an acceptance rate that has varied from under 5% to almost 20% over the last decade. 

The plan calls for increasing the number of available service opportunities to meet the demand to serve and to create a culture of service that will promote local and state level programs too. 

(07-04-2019, 10:54 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Lots of different programs, but the plan notes that the acceptance rate for these programs is low. Americorps is about 15% while the Peace Corps is 20%. The SMART scholarship has an acceptance rate that has varied from under 5% to almost 20% over the last decade. 

The plan calls for increasing the number of available service opportunities to meet the demand to serve and to create a culture of service that will promote local and state level programs too. 

And as I said I applaud these innovations. Obviously the SMART Program is not designed for someone looking for a trade, but it appear Mayor Pete might be opening up such opportunities. Participation in these and other programs that help with the cost of tuition fits the bill of those looking for a hand instead of a hand out. 

(07-04-2019, 10:31 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It has been explained to you how they differ and it has been explained to you how they are similar. They were both said to put the idea in the listener's head. You can either believe that or not. 

It's not  a matter of believing something or not.  It's a matter of one saying "I do not think you are racist" and the other saying "Other say it and I don't know".

You can believe it, but you are wrong.