Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 NFL Combine
(03-05-2023, 02:09 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Mayer and Washington have confirmed that they're first round talents.  I'd be happy with either.  Mayer with the route running and the "controlled madness."  Washington with the Brandon Pettigrew/Mercedes Lewis frame and just a whacky ceiling if he can become more of a natural receiver.

Mayer is the safer selection, but Washington I think has the more untapped potential.
Everything will come down to whether Hurst re-signs and for how many years.
If it's a good amount and a multi-year deal, I don't have high hopes we see a TE taken early.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the performer who helped the Bengals the mosy at this weekend's combine is Anthony Richardson.

Either a team fell in love with him so much to take him before #28; thereby, freeing up another top prospect or A team like Carolina thinks #9 is too early for him, but seeing him still on the board at #28 are willing to part with their 2 second rounders to move up and take Cam Newton.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 10:57 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Pace is a run stopper only. 2 downs, max.

Really interesting stuff today about not moving Jonah. I think that means we are not using taking a LT in Rd1. Williams & Carman. We will try to get a LT next year, assuming neither Jonah nor Carman take a leap.

I don't interpret that way at all.

Think of Dax Hill last year.
They basically had him as a backup the entire season with Bates on a 1-year tag.
Now many expect him to take over for either Bates or Bell as a starter.

I think an OT in the draft early is definitely feasible, even in Rd 1.
We just have to be prepared that that player might ride the bench for this year and then potentially take over for Williams or Collins the following year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 02:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't interpret that way at all.

They basically had him as a backup the entire season with Bates on a 1-year tag.

We just have to be prepared that that player might ride the bench for this year and then potentially take over for Williams or Collins the following year.

I could see that unfortunately. Doing that leads to a "Same ole Bengals" mindset however. Not getting a player that could help you push you to a championship and just settling to be good for a long time.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 03:24 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I could see that unfortunately. Doing that leads to a "Same ole Bengals" mindset however. Not getting a player that could help you push you to a championship and just settling to be good for a long time.

Bengals probably would argue they were driving to win the Super Bowl in Feb 2022 and they were just 3 points short of returning to the Super Bowl in Jan 2023.
Not to mention key injuries to three starters on the OL, which is very rare for a team that goes to the conference championship game.
Thus, they feel they are championship-caliber as long as they can retain most of their guys, stay more healthy than last year, and supplement with some draft picks and/or cheaper lower-tier FAs to boost depth.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 03:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not to mention key injuries to three starters on the OL, which is very rare for a team that goes to the conference championship game.

I've mentioned this a few times. "We" as in the collective group participating in discussion this forum have to account for that the the '22 offseason comprised adding 3 starting OL. It paid off. The Bengals made the playoffs but unfortunately 3 OL went down with injury. The entire organization has to be liking the OL for the '23 - '24 season with an assumption it can stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 03:48 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I've mentioned this a few times. "We" as in the collective group participating in discussion this forum have to account for that the the '22 offseason comprised adding 3 starting OL. It paid off. The Bengals made the playoffs but unfortunately 3 OL went down with injury. The entire organization has to be liking the OL for the '23 - '24 season with an assumption it can stay healthy.

Right.

Williams - Volson - Karras - Cappa - Collins is a much better OL than Carman - Volson - Karras - Scharping - Adeniji.

The 2022 playoff OL was about the same quality as the year before.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 03:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Right.

Williams - Volson - Karras - Cappa - Collins is a much better OL than Carman - Volson - Karras - Scharping - Adeniji.

The 2022 playoff OL was about the same quality as the year before.

and they have to be thinking, "Carman looked good at times in the playoffs". If yes, then they also are concluding they now have improved depth when Collins is healthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 03:53 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: and they have to be thinking, "Carman looked good at times in the playoffs". If yes, then they also are concluding they now have improved depth when Collins is healthy.

For one OT, yes. And I think that's fair. They justifiably have 3 spots solidified once Collins is back healthy.
But the other OTs are Adeniji (straight trash homie) and Smith (couldn't even beat out Adeniji for reps through 2 years on the team).
Neither has shown enough promise in 2+ years of development to warrant keeping around over a high-round draft pick and/or B/C-tier vet who can provide some more reliability/consistency.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 03:53 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: and they have to be thinking, "Carman looked good at times in the playoffs". If yes, then they also are concluding they now have improved depth when Collins is healthy.

Carman is playing tackle every Thursday. We've all been hard on Carman but he was improving during his rookie year. He did look terrible in that first pre-season game this last year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 03:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: For one OT, yes. And I think that's fair. They justifiably have 3 spots solidified once Collins is back healthy.
But the other OTs are Adeniji (straight trash homie) and Smith (couldn't even beat out Adeniji for reps through 2 years on the team).
Neither has shown enough promise in 2+ years of development to warrant keeping around over a high-round draft pick and/or B/C-tier vet who can provide some more reliability/consistency.

For sure and who knows, maybe the draft doesn't fall as they anticipate. Resulting, a TE, RB, or DL isn't there in round 1 and an OL with talent is available and too good to pass on.

We shall see. I'm interested in how FA plays out for roster tuning as well.
Reply/Quote
Did the oline even lift this year?

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 02:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't interpret that way at all.

True, but last year, we had all the starters locked & healthy heading into the draft. Draft was April 28th. We signed:  Cappa 3/14, BJ Hill 3/15, Karras 3/17, Hurst 3/17, Apple 3/19, and Collins 3/20. 

It is a lot easier to draft quality safety at #27 than a starting LT. RT is damn tough. I think we'll favor a FA stopgap + guys we have first. And I think if there is a guy available who we think makes us better right now, we take that guy. 

I mean, we COULD do it, but I think it is doubtful. 

#1) We cannot need a starter anywhere heading into the draft. S, TE, LB all have a starter quality guy in hand. 
#2) There isn't a playmaker (O or D) available that we think has good value at that spot. 
#3) We really have to LOVE the prospect. Cannot be doubtful on him. Wright may qialify. I doubt Harrison or D. Jones does. 

Now, talk to me in late March/April and I may change my mind. But we also have impending FA issues at WR, RB, CB, NT in addition to tackle. And pickung where we are picking, it is easier to get help at those spots than gamble/reach for an LT at #28. 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 05:12 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: True, but last year, we had all the starters locked & healthy heading into the draft. Draft was April 28th. We signed:  Cappa 3/14, BJ Hill 3/15, Karras 3/17, Hurst 3/17, Apple 3/19, and Collins 3/20. 

It is a lot easier to draft quality safety at #27 than a starting LT. RT is damn tough. I think we'll favor a FA stopgap + guys we have first. And I think if there is a guy available who we think makes us better right now, we take that guy. 

I mean, we COULD do it, but I think it is doubtful. 

#1) We cannot need a starter anywhere heading into the draft. S, TE, LB all have a starter quality guy in hand. 
#2) There isn't a playmaker (O or D) available that we think has good value at that spot. 
#3) We really have to LOVE the prospect. Cannot be doubtful on him. Wright may qialify. I doubt Harrison or D. Jones does. 

Now, talk to me in late March/April and I may change my mind. But we also have impending FA issues at WR, RB, CB, NT in addition to tackle. And pickung where we are picking, it is easier to get help at those spots than gamble/reach for an LT at #28. 

From the way the Bengals make it sound, they expect 4 of the 5 to be healthy by Training Camp. The only outlier is Collins.
And Pollack expects Carman to be "in the mix" to fill in while Collins is out.
So its definitely possible they aren't looking for an immediate starter in Rd 1 (or any round) of the draft and just looking for long-term depth players and/or future starters.
While I think a cheaper vet stopgap could make sense for the immediate season, you've got Williams in a contract year and both Collins and Carman end their contracts after 2024 season, so just 2 years remaining. They need more guys in the wings to be ready to take over once these guys start departing.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 04:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did the oline even lift this year?

It appears they did and Andrew Vorhees is a strong man:
2023 NFL Combine Results - NFL.com

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 12:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It appears they did and Andrew Vorhees is a strong man:
2023 NFL Combine Results - NFL.com

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-draft-uscs-andrew-vorhees-tears-acl-at-nfl-combine-then-puts-up-38-reps-on-bench-press/

...and he hurt himself in the field drills unfortunately.  Tough luck for the kid.  
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 01:01 PM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-draft-uscs-andrew-vorhees-tears-acl-at-nfl-combine-then-puts-up-38-reps-on-bench-press/

...and he hurt himself in the field drills unfortunately.  Tough luck for the kid.  

Dang I missed that. May be in play at 60 and we give him a red-shirt year. I dig the mentality. 

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 01:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dang I missed that. May be in play at 60 and we give him a red-shirt year. I dig the mentality. 

With that injury, his short arms, and age, he may be available all the way into the 5th and yes, I'd take him.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 12:38 PM)3wt Wrote: I've not seen any of the combine.

How did Mach look?  Any chance he'd be available to us around 60?

I didn't get to watch much of it either, too busy. Mauch is who you are talking about 3wt?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 01:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dang I missed that. May be in play at 60 and we give him a red-shirt year. I dig the mentality. 

would seem to be a good investment for when hes healthy.
Reply/Quote