Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
***2023 NFL Draft Thread***
(04-28-2023, 12:21 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So you are now saying that had you known the output of Hendrickson at the NFL level you would not have found him to be worth the 28th selection? Why did we move to round of selection once it is pointed out that Murphy compares more favorably to Hendrickson than to Hubbard? 

That he was taken as a high upside low college production player in the 3rd, not the 1st. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:25 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: That he was taken as a high upside low college production player in the 3rd, not the 1st. 

Hendrickson also has more physical limitations than Murphy. Short arms being the biggest one

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:21 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So you are now saying that had you known the output of Hendrickson at the NFL level you would not have found him to be worth the 28th selection? Why did we move to round of selection once it is pointed out that Murphy compares more favorably to Hendrickson than to Hubbard? 

Also Hendrickson at least had a double digit sacks season in college and 9.5 the next year both better than anything Murphy did pass rush wise. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:28 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Hendrickson also has more physical limitations than Murphy. Short arms being the biggest one

Yeah, and where he went to school. Murphy isn't a bad pick, just not thrilled and understand why some others wouldn't be as well. With how gifted he is he should've produced more at a good school. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:25 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: That he was taken as a high upside low college production player in the 3rd, not the 1st. 

I guess I am lost on your point. You never mentioned the 3rd round while you were trying to downgrade the selection of Murphy by putting him in the talent range of Sam Hubbard. You also referenced lack of double digit sacks as part of the reasoning for this evaluation you have made. Once it was pointed out that his production was similar to that of Hendrickson in college you suddenly turned to round drafted as your point.

The bottom line is that Murphy was a low upper to middle of the 1st round graded talent. The Bengals were fortunate to have the opportunity to select him where they did no matter what his sack totals were at the collegiate level. The draft is about projection more than it is about anything. His traits compare favorably to his ranking and projection.

So who would have been the better value selection that was available at 28? That is what I have not seen you post.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:33 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I guess I am lost on your point. You never mentioned the 3rd round while you were trying to downgrade the selection of Murphy by putting him in the talent range of Sam Hubbard. You also referenced lack of double digit sacks as part of the reasoning for this evaluation you have made. Once it was pointed out that his production was similar to that of Hendrickson in college you suddenly turned to round drafted as your point.

The bottom line is that Murphy was a low upper to middle of the 1st round graded talent. The Bengals were fortunate to have the opportunity to select him where they did no matter what his sack totals were at the collegiate level. The draft is about projection more than it is about anything. His traits compare favorably to his ranking and projection.

So who would have been the better value selection that was available at 28? That is what I have not seen you post.

I've said a few times there wasn't anyone I thought was a great pick there. Also Hendrickson college production blows Murphys out of the water. I understand the pick like I've also said. I feel like he was more of a 2nd rounder. Same to travon walker last year, great athlete, not great production on a good team with other 1st round players on the line. They both compare rather similarly imo.
Reply/Quote
I still think we need someone who can pressure from the middle on defense and we are still thin at CB. Im guessing we go DT or CB in the 2nd round and go after TE in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals do resign Tee and Chase (Burrow is a given) I expect a steady stream of top 100 Defensive Linemen and Corners picks over the life of their contracts.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
No way cam smith drops to 60 right? His and ctbs physicality would be very fun on the same team.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:47 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I still think we need someone who can pressure from the middle on defense and we are still thin at CB. Im guessing we go DT or CB in the 2nd round and go after TE in the 3rd.

They will slide Murphy to inside on some passing downs. The next pick will be hopefully Charbonett, La Porta, or Darius Rush a CB
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:38 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: I've said a few times there wasn't anyone I thought was a great pick there. Also Hendrickson college production blows Murphys out of the water. I understand the pick like I've also said. I feel like he was more of a 2nd rounder. Same to travon walker last year, great athlete, not great production on a good team with other 1st round players on the line. They both compare rather similarly imo.

So if there is not a better value selection at that point how do you dislike the selection. My head is spinning from this conversation. So what you are saying is you dislike the selection simply to dislike it? I know you mentioned trading down but if there is not a trade of value being offered then you cannot just make that scenario just appear. The made the best selection that could have been made and one that will have immediate impact with another high caliber trait prospect to rotate with Hubbard and Hendrickson.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They will slide Murphy to inside on some passing downs. The next pick will be hopefully Charbonett, La Porta, or Darius Rush a CB

Sliding Murphy inside at times could certainly help but I think it would be nice to also have a DT to get pressure up the middle at the same time Murphy is at DE.  The more guys you have on the D-line getting pressure at once the better the defense will be. 

Im not sure any DT like that would be available in round 2 but it would be nice to have a DT that can get pressure up the middle.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They will slide Murphy to inside on some passing downs. The next pick will be hopefully Charbonett, La Porta, or Darius Rush a CB

I forget how strong Murphy's anchor is. Definitely could slide him inside on passing downs.

(04-28-2023, 01:57 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Sliding Murphy inside at times could certainly help but I think it would be nice to also have a DT to get pressure up the middle at the same time Murphy is at DE.  The more guys you have on the D-line getting pressure at once the better the defense will be. 

Im not sure any DT like that would be available in round 2 but it would be nice to have a DT that can get pressure up the middle.

Doubt Benton is there at 60, but he would be the answer. I like Karl Brooks in the 3rd if he is there.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:57 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Looking at this with some perspective:

* 28 selections prior to the Bengals pick. 
* Steelers hold 2 of them selections and are unlikely to select a TE at either spot so 26 selections.
* Detroit holds 3 of those selections and are unlikely taking more than 1 TE with any of those 3. So 24 selections.
* Packers hold 2 of those selections and are not likely to take 2 TEs so 23 selections.
* Of these 23 selections there are 12 teams that given the odds may possibly select a TE.
* Your projection of 5 TEs being taken would mean that over 41% of those possible selections are going to be TEs. I do not see that as very likely

(04-28-2023, 12:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure wouldn't mind adding a DT like Keeanu Benton for a future Reader replacement or a 3-tech like Karl Brooks in the 3rd or 4th.

Yeah, I think one of the top 5 TE's will be there at 60 for sure. Hoping it is Washington.

If Washington is not there at 60 then I am hoping one of my personal favorites, Tucker Kraft, is there.
Reply/Quote
We want to see Defensive Line coming off the board early and often tonight.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 04:42 PM)Synric Wrote: We want to see Defensive Line coming off the board early and often tonight.

Best case scenario
Reply/Quote
This thread is going to be comical and I'm going to need popcorn when we don't pick a TE until the 4th rnd or later.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:38 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: I've said a few times there wasn't anyone I thought was a great pick there. Also Hendrickson college production blows Murphys out of the water. I understand the pick like I've also said. I feel like he was more of a 2nd rounder. Same to travon walker last year, great athlete, not great production on a good team with other 1st round players on the line. They both compare rather similarly imo.

You act like we’re picking in the top 10. Way too used to our losing ways, I guess. This is a fantastic pick at 28. No way he was falling to 2nd round. 

I am DAMN GLAD he’s on our roster, as opposed to say, the Chiefs.

Seriously, who else would you have picked at twenty frickin eight? 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 03:28 PM)OSUfan Wrote: If Washington is not there at 60 then I am hoping one of my personal favorites, Tucker Kraft, is there.

Yes, I like Kraft myself. Very good after the catch unlike Musgrave who seems to go down easily.

(04-28-2023, 04:42 PM)Synric Wrote: We want to see Defensive Line coming off the board early and often tonight.

Ends for sure, now that we got one. Would love a DT whether it be a Reader type or a 3-tech.

(04-28-2023, 05:31 PM)Stewy Wrote: This thread is going to be comical and I'm going to need popcorn when we don't pick a TE until the 4th rnd or later.

As long as we go BPA it is all good. Still don't like the thought of relying on Irv Smith Jr who is always injured.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 05:37 PM)SladeX Wrote: You act like we’re picking in the top 10. Way too used to our losing ways, I guess. This is a fantastic pick at 28. No way he was falling to 2nd round. 

I am DAMN GLAD he’s on our roster, as opposed to say, the Chiefs.

Seriously, who else would you have picked at twenty frickin eight? 

Big drop from Murphy to Uzomah the Chiefs pick, especially if we are going off of upside. Agree, to get a guy in the late 20's roughly
10+ picks after where he is projected in the first round is pretty great value I would say. I would of been fine with Uzomah at 60 but at
31 I find that to be a big time reach by the Chiefs.
Reply/Quote