Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2023 Ring of Honor Inductees
congrats Boomer and Ocho

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Chad was to be expected: best WR in our history (which will soon be surpassed, barring injury), but I thought Boomer was a shoo-in for next year!

Guess next year we'll have CD and either Parrish or another older D guy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Congrats to both. Well deserved.
Reply/Quote
No problem with either of these two. Chad is my favorite Bengal of all time.

Does anyone know exactly how the selection process takes place? Is it 100% based on season ticket holders votes? Are there other factors? I looked on the FAQ but it wasn't super clear.

If it's just based on season ticket holder votes, then I think thats a dumb way of doing it. It's what drives me nuts about all star selections in any sports - its based on biased fan voting.

I think it'd be more credible if it was a combination of season ticket holder voting, maybe a roundtable discussion or votes from the media, and former ROH inducties. What are other's takes on this?

I just think about myself. Me being 30 years old I have zero idea of the impact some of these older former players had on the franchise prior to like the akili smith, corey dillion years.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:15 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: No problem with either of these two. Chad is my favorite Bengal of all time.

Does anyone know exactly how the selection process takes place? Is it 100% based on season ticket holders votes? Are there other factors? I looked on the FAQ but it wasn't super clear. Is it just two guys every year?

Yeah, year 1 was 4, to get the obvious ones in (KA, Riley, Munoz, PB) and 2 every year since.

I do agree with Dillon that it should be 3 at least each year, but I guess 2 is what they're sticking with for now.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:18 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, year 1 was 4, to get the obvious ones in (KA, Riley, Munoz, PB) and 2 every year since.

I do agree with Dillon that it should be 3 at least each year, but I guess 2 is what they're sticking with for now.

They should have done a bigger initial induction. There's such a back log of players now that some of these guys are likely to never see themselves inducted. 
Reply/Quote
This quote from Ocho

"It means everything," said Johnson. "To be shown appreciation for all the years of hard work is awesome. It's a great honor and I'm very appreciative. I'm getting my flowers now while I can smell them. To me, this honor means much more than getting a gold jacket, honestly. This is home. The fans understand the good times and the bad times, the ups and downs, and they accepted me as my true authentic self. This is a welcome home – you will always be a part of us – and this means a lot to me. A lot."
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:15 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: No problem with either of these two. Chad is my favorite Bengal of all time.

Does anyone know exactly how the selection process takes place? Is it 100% based on season ticket holders votes? Are there other factors? I looked on the FAQ but it wasn't super clear.

If it's just based on season ticket holder votes, then I think thats a dumb way of doing it. It's what drives me nuts about all star selections in any sports - its based on biased fan voting.

I think it'd be more credible if it was a combination of season ticket holder voting, maybe a roundtable discussion or votes from the media, and former ROH inducties. What are other's takes on this?

I just think about myself. Me being 30 years old I have zero idea of the impact some of these older former players had on the franchise prior to like the akili smith, corey dillion years.

It is season ticket holders, i understood it might be nice to have a mix in voting but as you mentioned some fans have little knowledge of past players, i think season ticket holders in general might have a better knowledge of the history. As for Dillion he will not be on my next couple ballots , talk about dumb, why vote for angry ex bengal who still does not appreciate the organization or fans,... 
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:22 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They should have done a bigger initial induction. There's such a back log of players now that some of these guys are likely to never see themselves inducted. 

Agree with this 100% 

and have no problem with these inductions whatsoever. One is one of the greatest WR's to wear stripes and Boomer led the Bengals to the Super Bowl. Both more than worthy.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:29 AM)BengalBob Wrote: This quote from Ocho

"It means everything," said Johnson. "To be shown appreciation for all the years of hard work is awesome. It's a great honor and I'm very appreciative. I'm getting my flowers now while I can smell them. To me, this honor means much more than getting a gold jacket, honestly. This is home. The fans understand the good times and the bad times, the ups and downs, and they accepted me as my true authentic self. This is a welcome home – you will always be a part of us – and this means a lot to me. A lot."

Congrats to 2 of my all time favorites and a very classy response from Chad.

I saw that Boomer heard about the jacket design and said “Chads not going to wear it inside out is he?”
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:33 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It is season ticket holders, i understood it might be nice to have a mix in voting but as you mentioned some fans have little knowledge of past players, i think season ticket holders in general might have a better knowledge of the history. As for Dillion he will not be on my next couple ballots , talk about dumb, why vote for angry ex bengal who still does not appreciate the organization or fans,... 

This is the problem right here. You put bias into it. 

You're likely not to vote for him because of something he said 10 years after he retired or something he said about the organization when he was frustrated and when he played (and lets not act like they didn't deserve it). What does that have to do with what he did on the field? On the field he was one of the greatest offensive Bengals of all time and the organizations best running back of all time. 

He should 100% get in and it honestly should be next year.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:33 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It is season ticket holders, i understood it might be nice to have a mix in voting but as you mentioned some fans have little knowledge of past players, i think season ticket holders in general might have a better knowledge of the history. As for Dillion he will not be on my next couple ballots , talk about dumb, why vote for angry ex bengal who still does not appreciate the organization or fans,... 
You're CLEARLY still living in 2003.
Reply/Quote
Two very worthy inductees. I'm wondering when guys like Trumpy, Reggie Williams, etc will get their due?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:45 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I saw that Boomer heard about the jacket design and said “Chads not going to wear it inside out is he?”

The inside does look pretty badass.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:33 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: As for Dillion he will not be on my next couple ballots , talk about dumb, why vote for angry ex bengal who still does not appreciate the organization or fans,... 

Because that dude wanted to win (and he played like it) for a dumpster fire of an organization at the time.  Even if you don't agree with the man, you have to respect his dedication and honesty. 

I rewatched his rookie year game with Boomer when he set the rookie rushing record on YouTube.   There were 8-9 guys in the box on every play and it didn't matter.   He was special.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:51 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You're CLEARLY still living in 2003.

actually if you listened to Dillions comments, he is still living in the past... "Bengals are smart. I give it to them. We will put it in the hands of the season-ticket holders, so they don't have to take that backlash over who the voters are picking. That's bulls---. The s--- should come straight from the team. Half these season-ticket holder people never seen half of us play." 

I guess he does not know that a over 50% of ticket holders now are since he started playing for the bengals.. hmmm
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: Two very worthy inductees. I'm wondering when guys like Trumpy, Reggie Williams, etc will get their due?

I think one of them might get in next year... I will be voting for one next year but not both
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 11:00 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: actually if you listened to Dillions comments, he is still living in the past... "Bengals are smart. I give it to them. We will put it in the hands of the season-ticket holders, so they don't have to take that backlash over who the voters are picking. That's bulls---. The s--- should come straight from the team. Half these season-ticket holder people never seen half of us play." 

I guess he does not know that a over 50% of ticket holders now are since he started playing for the bengals.. hmmm

I agree with him on the process. It's supid and he's most likely right. A lot of season ticket holders have most likely never seen him play. 
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 10:56 AM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Because that dude wanted to win (and he played like it) for a dumpster fire of an organization at the time.  Even if you don't agree with the man, you have to respect his dedication and honesty. 

I rewatched his rookie year game with Boomer when he set the rookie rushing record on YouTube.   There were 8-9 guys in the box on every play and it didn't matter.   He was special.

and if you going to be in the Ring of Honor, you have to respect the team and process..  I understand the quality of player Dillion was but the Ring of Honor is not just about stats...what he should do is ask to have his name taken off the ballot if he is not upset about the process and organization....  
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 11:04 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I agree with him on the process. It's supid and he's most likely right. A lot of season ticket holders have most likely never seen him play. 

Well from his comments he is saying the opposite, the older holders like me did see him play and he is thinking that is the problem... in the end his attitude has put him in this situation and by bashing the process he is just trying to avoid what happen at end of his time with Bengals, he did not help his cause by his comments ... 

Funny we are not bitching about the process of Ring of Honor which forever we bitched about not having one... 
Reply/Quote