Poll: What will the last 8 games win/loss record be ?
8 wins and 0 losses for the 2nd half of the 2018 season
7 and 1
6 and 2
5 and 3
4 and 4
3 and 5
2 and 6
1 and 7
0 wins and 8 losses for the 2nd half of the 2018 season
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Half Predictions....
(11-02-2018, 05:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We were still 34 yards from the end zone at the 2 minute warning.  If we run 5 yards after the 2 minute warning and burn 45 seconds then we have 1:15 to go 29 yards.  At that point we pretty much have to burn a time out on any play where we try to use the middle of the field or run the ball.

I don't know why you are all acting like we could just gain yards and score a TD whenever we wanted considering we had not scored a single point the entire second half.  It is easy to make these decisions with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, but after watching the Bengals' offense get completely shut down for the entire second half it did not make a lot of sense to worry about "scoring too quickly".

I don't know why you don't understand that they DID score a TD with over a minute left. Therefore, if they had used more of the play clock, there would have been less time left. 

Holey sheet. This isn't rocket surgery. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 11:07 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Needing a TD the Bengals had to try and score whenever they could.

But after the AJ catch put us on 2 line it was time to think.

AJ should have fell down in bounds to keep clock running per it no longer being an issue. Then Dalton should have run play clock down before snapping ball.

It is all we could have done without giving up downs which would be foolish needing score.

Put it on coaches for not pointing this out because players had a one track mind at the time. To score and get the lead.

^This^

There were many options available.  Not just my own.  That would have shown more competency to kill the clock.  Not act like we have only seconds remaining.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 08:10 PM)WHO DEY C85 Wrote: Not sure why but I love reading predictions threads. What's yours for the 2nd half of the season? Can we make it back to the playoffs?

Week 10 New Orleans - Loss 5-4
Week 11 @ Baltimore - Loss 5-5
Week 12 Cleveland Win 6-5
Week 13 Denver Loss 6-6
Week 14 @ Chargers Loss 6-7
Week 15 Oakland Win 7-7
Week 16 @ Cleveland Win 8-7
Week 17 @Douchebags Loss 8-8

My prediction is 8-8 and another Marvin extension
Reply/Quote
Here's the thing about all of this complaining about the offense. Last season, everyone was on their case because they couldn't score, and it was their fault the defense struggled to get off of the field. This year, we're complaining because the offense is scoring too quickly or too much, and the defense still can't get off if the field or hold the opponent. At what point do we just hold the defense accountable? Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 08:31 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Here's the thing about all of this complaining about the offense. Last season, everyone was on their case because they couldn't score, and it was their fault the defense struggled to get off of the field. This year, we're complaining because the offense is scoring too quickly or too much, and the defense still can't get off if the field or hold the opponent. At what point do we just hold the defense accountable? Mellow

No complaints here about the offense other than unfortunate injuries. In perspective, every defense should take accountability for a loss because, well, their job is to prevent the opponent from scoring. Defense win championships. With a year as you explained where the offense is scoring, not really sure how it could be viewed any other way?

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 11:07 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Needing a TD the Bengals had to try and score whenever they could.

But after the AJ catch put us on 2 line it was time to think.

AJ should have fell down in bounds to keep clock running per it no longer being an issue. Then Dalton should have run play clock down before snapping ball.

It is all we could have done without giving up downs which would be foolish needing score.

Put it on coaches for not pointing this out because players had a one track mind at the time. To score and get the lead.

Thank you, you said it better than i could Go Cards. Rock on brother. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 08:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: Here's the thing about all of this complaining about the offense. Last season, everyone was on their case because they couldn't score, and it was their fault the defense struggled to get off of the field. This year, we're complaining because the offense is scoring too quickly or too much, and the defense still can't get off if the field or hold the opponent. At what point do we just hold the defense accountable? Mellow

Yeah the Defense is the biggest problem no question which makes me even more flustered by the Austin quote.

Dalton and the Offense are the biggest reason we won 4 games, the Phins game was the game the D actually showed up.

But i mean those were some pretty lucky bounces. We need to put our foot down and just stop Offenses instead of hoping
for them to turn the ball over.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 08:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: Here's the thing about all of this complaining about the offense. Last season, everyone was on their case because they couldn't score, and it was their fault the defense struggled to get off of the field. This year, we're complaining because the offense is scoring too quickly or too much, and the defense still can't get off if the field or hold the opponent. At what point do we just hold the defense accountable? Mellow

(11-03-2018, 11:06 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: No complaints here about the offense other than unfortunate injuries. In perspective, every defense should take accountability for a loss because, well, their job is to prevent the opponent from scoring. Defense win championships. With a year as you explained where the offense is scoring, not really sure how it could be viewed any other way?

Gentlemen,  make no mistake the defense does in fact need to do it's job.  You will never hear me give them a pass.  The offense did what it was supposed to do and the defense did not.  You can blame the players, or coaches or scheme or whatever.  Nate and I both agree that Austin is terrible and needs to go somewhere else.  I don't give them a pass.

The point is, with 34 yards to go, we had the whole field to work with.  We had running plays to work with.  We had 2 times outs to work with. 

The defense wouldn't have had to make a stand if someone had enough situational awareness to slow things down on offense.  I am happy that we scored, I am just pointing out that this loss could have been a win if someone just said, 34 yards is a one play TD, so let us move closer, while running out the clock.

This person should have realized that the opponent had all 3 TOs left and only would need a FG to win.  It was evident to fans, that only watch games, and are not getting paid to pay attention to those little details. 

We are NOT actually putting this on the offense as you suggest.  The offense performed well.  They would all be heroes if the Steelers were stopped, the defense as well would look better had they stopped them. 

The issue is that the HC did not take into account his defense may NOT stop them.  We played into the hands of the Steelers and once again came up short and lost to them.  As I said, the first play to start the 2 min warning should have been a run play.  Either Mixon gains yards or is stopped for little to no gain.  Either way the clock starts, either the Steelers take a TO or they let the clock run, either decision they make would be a positive for us.  Them not taking a TO would be to our benefit, as we can let the clock continue to run as we pass on 2nd down. A completion would eat up more clock and move us closer, an incompletion would stop the clock for us.
Reply/Quote
I will predict that there will be 8 games played.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 01:58 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Gentlemen,  make no mistake the defense does in fact need to do it's job.  You will never hear me give them a pass.  The offense did what it was supposed to do and the defense did not.  You can blame the players, or coaches or scheme or whatever.  Nate and I both agree that Austin is terrible and needs to go somewhere else.  I don't give them a pass.

The point is, with 34 yards to go, we had the whole field to work with.  We had running plays to work with.  We had 2 times outs to work with. 

The defense wouldn't have had to make a stand if someone had enough situational awareness to slow things down on offense.  I am happy that we scored, I am just pointing out that this loss could have been a win if someone just said, 34 yards is a one play TD, so let us move closer, while running out the clock.

This person should have realized that the opponent had all 3 TOs left and only would need a FG to win.  It was evident to fans, that only watch games, and are not getting paid to pay attention to those little details. 

We are NOT actually putting this on the offense as you suggest.  The offense performed well.  They would all be heroes if the Steelers were stopped, the defense as well would look better had they stopped them. 

The issue is that the HC did not take into account his defense may NOT stop them.  We played into the hands of the Steelers and once again came up short and lost to them.  As I said, the first play to start the 2 min warning should have been a run play.  Either Mixon gains yards or is stopped for little to no gain.  Either way the clock starts, either the Steelers take a TO or they let the clock run, either decision they make would be a positive for us.  Them not taking a TO would be to our benefit, as we can let the clock continue to run as we pass on 2nd down. A completion would eat up more clock and move us closer, an incompletion would stop the clock for us.

No offense, but I can't buy into this. The defense had to do its job. They failed. And why are we having to come up and score like we have in the 4th all year long (KC game excluded)? We need a solid defense and we don't even have a mushy one. They are pretty bad. No excuses for the D. A good defense doesnt keep you in the game, it closes it out for you. Not what we are seeing here. Again, no ill will intended, just disagree.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 02:08 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: No offense, but I can't buy into this. The defense had to do its job. They failed. And why are we having to come up and score like we have in the 4th all year long (KC game excluded)? We need a solid defense and we don't even have a mushy one. They are pretty bad. No excuses for the D. A good defense doesnt keep you in the game, it closes it out for you. Not what we are seeing here. Again, no ill will intended, just disagree.

No offense taken.

I am in agreement with you.  The loss is on the defense.

The only caveat I am adding is that even with the poor defensive play we could be 6-2 instead of 5-3.  To be 5-3 with this defense is a testament to how good our offense is.  I am just pointing out that we could be 4-4 if not for the Falcons not having any time left to work with.  Hell Atlanta was able to get into FG range with 7 seconds on the clock, if they had a TO, I wonder if they would have been able to call that with 1 second remaining and kick a FG.

It is the job of the coaches to fix the issues that we have on defense.  If they can't do it by improving their play then they have to do it by adjusting the offense, if only for a little. 

It isn't like I am saying Mixon shouldn't have scored, or that we should have taken a knee.  Not at all.  I am saying that we should have tried to keep the clock going, while moving down the field.

Here are the plays after the 2 min warning, with us having 2 TOs and only 34 yards away from scoring.

1st down - Pass INC to Core clock stop.
2nd down - 23 yrd Pass to Green - in bounds.  Clock started at 1:56 and is running, we snap again at 1:24.
1st- down - 7 yrd Pass to Green who runs OB to stop the clock. Clock stops at 1:21
2nd and 3- A first down is possible without a TD. Mixon runs for a TD stops the clock.

When the Steelers get the ball and only needing a FG to win, they have all 3 TOs and 1:12 to work with.

Nothing wrong with Mixon scoring.  The opportunity was there and no sure thing that we are able to score with 4 chances, though I am of the mind that we SHOULD be able to score with 4 chances to get it.  

All I am suggesting is that the coaches start the 2 min with a run to Mixon and take the play clock down to near 0 before throwing to Green.  We wouldn't need to take a TO.  Being that the clock is running, that 23 yrd play to Green would have us 1st and 10 with under a 1 min to go and 2 TOs.  The next play to Green would stop the clock with about 30s on the clock.  The next play to Mixon would have us with the lead with 24-25s left.  Assuming Pitt doesn't take a TO after the run play or the following play with Green.  

If they do call a TO after the run play, then we start it up again with the play to Green.  If they call another, then we run the ball to start it up again.  If they call another then all 3 TOs are used, putting less pressure on our defense.  Less time to work with and no TOs, Ben may hold on to the ball a split second longer, or throw an errant pass.  We also protect the sidelines, and keep them in the field of play, giving up yards but keeping that clock rolling.
Reply/Quote
Most of you think we will sweep Browns, I see a split. first time in awhile but see the Browns winning one of the two meetings. When they do beat us the typical excuse will be injuries, bad calls from refs as a side prediction.
Reply/Quote
Seems that at the moment there's 3 teams heading towards competing for the 6th and final spot. Bengals, Ravens, Dolphins.

Ravens would have to go 5-2 in their remaining 7 just to get to 9-7 which includes trips to Atlanta and KC

Dolphins are 5-4 would likely have to go 4-3 in their remaining 7 to get to 9-7 including @GB, NE and @Minnesota plus we own the H2H

Bengals 5-3 could go 4-4 and likely get in with hopeful wins against Oakland, Denver and Cleveland x2 ( Baltimore would be a great win also)

Here's to hoping........
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 10:59 AM)WHO DEY C85 Wrote: Seems that at the moment there's 3 teams heading towards competing for the 6th and final spot. Bengals, Ravens, Dolphins.

Ravens would have to go 5-2 in their remaining 7 just to get to 9-7 which includes trips to Atlanta and KC

Dolphins are 5-4 would likely have to go 4-3 in their remaining 7 to get to 9-7 including @GB, NE and @Minnesota plus we own the H2H

Bengals 5-3 could go 4-4 and likely get in with hopeful wins against Oakland, Denver and Cleveland x2 ( Baltimore would be a great win also)

Here's to hoping........

If we have AJ, probably 4-4.

Without AJ, 1-7.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 08:10 PM)WHO DEY C85 Wrote: Week 10  New Orleans L
Week 11 @ Baltimore W
Week 12 Cleveland W
Week 13 Denver W
Week 14 @ Chargers L
Week 15 Oakland W
Week 16 @ Cleveland W
Week 17 @Douchebags L

10-6 imo. We could beat the Steelers and Chargers, but we could also lose to the Ravens. I dont see us beating the saints.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2018, 04:29 PM)GodFather Wrote: Most of you think we will sweep Browns, I see a split. first time in awhile but see the Browns winning one of the two meetings. 

Any real reason for this, or just a general negative outlook?
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 04:40 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: All I am suggesting is that the coaches start the 2 min with a run to Mixon and take the play clock down to near 0 before throwing to Green.  We wouldn't need to take a TO.  Being that the clock is running, that 23 yrd play to Green would have us 1st and 10 with under a 1 min to go and 2 TOs.  The next play to Green would stop the clock with about 30s on the clock.  The next play to Mixon would have us with the lead with 24-25s left.  Assuming Pitt doesn't take a TO after the run play or the following play with Green.  

If they do call a TO after the run play, then we start it up again with the play to Green.  If they call another, then we run the ball to start it up again.  If they call another then all 3 TOs are used, putting less pressure on our defense.  Less time to work with and no TOs, Ben may hold on to the ball a split second longer, or throw an errant pass.  We also protect the sidelines, and keep them in the field of play, giving up yards but keeping that clock rolling.

Everything is simple if you are allowed to just plug in an automatic 23 yard completion, but if you watch the game closely you will notice that we could not just get an automatic 23 yard gain whenever we wanted.

What if we don' get that 23 yard completion and are still 3rd and 5 thirty yards from TD with less than a minute to play?  Then our play calling is limited because of the clock.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Everything is simple if you are allowed to just plug in an automatic 23 yard completion, but if you watch the game closely you will notice that we could not just get an automatic 23 yard gain whenever we wanted.

What if we don' get that 23 yard completion and are still 3rd and 5 thirty yards from TD with less than a minute to play?  Then our play calling is limited because of the clock.

I am plugging it in because it happened.

3rd and 5 with over a minute to play, why? because the pass would be incomplete and the clock stops.

It would only go to under a minute if the play to Green was completed (which it was).

3rd and 5, clock stopped due to an incompletion, 2 chances to get a 1st down. Which is what we would have had if Green doesn’t catch that pass.

Of course I am giving Mixon 5 yards, but he might have not gotten any, and we would be in 3rd and 10... if Green doesn’t catch that pass.

So no I am not plugging in a 29 yard play “just for the hell of it”. I am showing how a run play to start the clock was better than a pass play that freezes the clock if unsuccessful.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 02:28 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: I am plugging it in because it happened.

Exactly.  That is the basis for the rest of your suggestions, but the Bengal coaching staff had no idea they would hit on a 23 yard pass.  You are making coaching calls with the benefit of hindsight.  EVERYONE looks like a genius coach when they already know what is going to happen on the next play.

If we run coming out of the 2 minute warning then run down the play clock before another play then we could be up to 34 yards away with 1:15 left.  You have no problem with that time down and distance because you know a 23 yard completion is coming, but if we run the play clock down that much that far from the end zone the entire stadium would have been booing.  No team needing a TD that far from the end zone burns that much clock.  It just does not happen because coaches realize hey could need several more plays to get into the end zone.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 02:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.  That is the basis for the rest of your suggestions, but the Bengal coaching staff had no idea they would hit on a 23 yard pass.  You are making coaching calls with the benefit of hindsight.  EVERYONE looks like a genius coach when they already know what is going to happen on the next play.

If we run coming out of the 2 minute warning then run down the play clock before another play then we could be up to 34 yards away with 1:15 left.  You have no problem with that time down and distance because you know a 23 yard completion is coming, but if we run the play clock down that much that far from the end zone the entire stadium would have been booing.  No team needing a TD that far from the end zone burns that much clock.  It just does not happen because coaches realize hey could need several more plays to get into the end zone.

Wrong again Jim.

I have said to run on the 1st down and not take another snap until the play clock is almost 0. Which would leave 1:15 on the game clock.

The next play after that would be a pass play. Either it is complete and the clock continues to run or it falls INC. and the clock stops. Clock stops at just over 1:00 and we have 2 chances to get a 1st down. 2 pass plays.

What I do know for a fact is, that we were in striking distance to score on just one play. With 2 TOs. So even if we ran on 1st, 2, and 3rd down, and had not gained a single yard, we still could win the game as long as we have 1 second on the clock to snap the ball.
Reply/Quote