Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2nd interview with Arizona for Lou
(02-13-2023, 10:40 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think in the end Kafka gets the job, if not I think it will be Lou.

Yeah, the similarities between Hurts and Murray given Hurt's performance on the big stag has to give Kafka a boost.

WTS, I think the Philly DC is out of the running. 

Of course, Indy could know swoop in and take Kafka and draft Bryce Young 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I can imagine the Gannon interview this week.

What's the first thing you would do as Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals? Tell the owner to put in a new field so the players can run instead of sliding.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 10:12 AM)Nepa Wrote: I second that emotion.

But, it was a pretty pitiful performance for the Eagles D and Gannon likely took a hit in terms of the Arizona coaching job. No pressure on Mahomes, receivers wide open, defensive adjustments lacking or poor in the second half. 

And Lou's stock went up, with how the Bengals, with far less all-pros than the Eagles, handled the Chiefs.

Hiring someone for around 7 million and basing the decision on a Super Bowl game is reckless. Not completely ruling it out. And why some of these teams should be all over Lou. He doesn’t have the talent but his adjustments and how well they play together should stand out.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Wish Arizona would make a decision soon. Its mid-February. If Anarumo is gone, then the Bengals need to replace him. Even if they do so internally, the new DC might have different priorities, wish for different assistants, have a different view of draft needs and who can be let go. And if they go to a DC from outside the organization, that would involve a major shakeup. The Bengals are on hold as much as Lou is on hold.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 12:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: Wish Arizona would make a decision soon. Its mid-February. If Anarumo is gone, then the Bengals need to replace him. Even if they do so internally, the new DC might have different priorities, wish for different assistants, have a different view of draft needs and who can be let go. And if they go to a DC from outside the organization, that would involve a major shakeup. The Bengals are on hold as much as Lou is on hold.

IMO, if they lift Bettcher to DC I would assume that part of that decision would be to maintain the defensive scheme and coaches, the least amount of disruption.  

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 12:51 PM)casear2727 Wrote: IMO, if they lift Bettcher to DC I would assume that part of that decision would be to maintain the defensive scheme and coaches, the least amount of disruption.  

Makes sense to do.
Reply/Quote
this is from an ESPN writer

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I think we should go with someone outside of the organization if Lou leaves. I don't want a defensive coordinator who trys to be Lou. I want a coordinator to be themselves!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 02:51 PM)pally Wrote: this is from an ESPN writer

I just saw this as well. Down to Lou and Gannon now.

"According to ESPN's Adam Schefter and Josh Weinfuss, the Cardinals have narrowed their search to Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon and Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo."

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals-focus-head-coaching-search-on-two-candidates
Reply/Quote
I thought Gannon might have a leg up on getting hired until that dud of a defensive effort from the Eagles last night.

If its down to Gannon and Lou, then they want a defense-minded coach.

The Eagles were great during the regular season in terms of yards/game (2nd to the Bengals 16th), but the Bengals were actually better in terms of the key points/game (6th to the Eagles 8th).

But the way Lou handled KC versus Gannon was night and day.

Guess it comes down to who Arizona feels has the right leadership and PR capabilities, and can actually turn around that underperforming franchise.

it doesn't help Gannon that Eagles fans seem to want him gone:

"Per Adam Schefter, Gannon is scheduled to meet with the Arizona Cardinals for their vacant head-coaching job. There are many Eagles fans that hope he gets the job, but only because they want him off of this coaching staff. He’s done some good things during the most recent season, but again, Birds fans will never forget him for what happened in Super Bowl LVII."
https://insidetheiggles.com/2023/02/13/eagles-jonathan-gannon-super-bowl-loss/

The author even thinks the Eagles will consider not bringing Gannon back: "Maybe we’re emotional, but at this juncture, it’s hard to imagine a scenario where he returns as Eagles defensive coordinator in 2023. He may have overstayed his welcome, but we’ll see what happens."
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 04:42 PM)Nepa Wrote: I thought Gannon might have a leg up on getting hired until that dud of a defensive effort from the Eagles last night.

If its down to Gannon and Lou, then they want a defense-minded coach.

The Eagles were great during the regular season in terms of yards/game (2nd to the Bengals 16th), but the Bengals were actually better in terms of the key points/game (6th to the Eagles 8th).

But the way Lou handled KC versus Gannon was night and day.

Guess it comes down to who Arizona feels has the right leadership and PR capabilities, and can actually turn around that underperforming franchise.

it doesn't help Gannon that Eagles fans seem to want him gone:

"Per Adam Schefter, Gannon is scheduled to meet with the Arizona Cardinals for their vacant head-coaching job. There are many Eagles fans that hope he gets the job, but only because they want him off of this coaching staff. He’s done some good things during the most recent season, but again, Birds fans will never forget him for what happened in Super Bowl LVII."
https://insidetheiggles.com/2023/02/13/eagles-jonathan-gannon-super-bowl-loss/

The author even thinks the Eagles will consider not bringing Gannon back: "Maybe we’re emotional, but at this juncture, it’s hard to imagine a scenario where he returns as Eagles defensive coordinator in 2023. He may have overstayed his welcome, but we’ll see what happens."

Another thing that we hamper Lou with is our propensity not to upgrade talent during the season. Philly loses a couple DTs they go out and sign Ndamukong Suh and Linval Joseph. We lose players and we get "win with what you got". We never replaced our CB#1, we never replaced Reeder when he was out. And worst we sat on our hands when LC and Kappa went down. It cost us the Superbowl 

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 05:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Another thing that we hamper Lou with is our propensity not to upgrade talent during the season. Philly loses a couple DTs they go out and sign Ndamukong Suh and Linval Joseph. We lose players and we get "win with what you got". We never replaced our CB#1, we never replaced Reeder when he was out. And worst we sat on our hands when LC and Kappa went down. It cost us the Superbowl 

Yeah, I know it's frustrating when there are obvious needs and watching the trading deadline pass or other teams picking up talent during the season. I wonder if it stems from the mindset of someone with a net worth that comes in 31st among the 32 teams, while some of the other owners treat their teams as playthings or something for their prestige. No idea why, but there was a great opportunity this year to win a Super Bowl and I wish the Bengals could have done something more than an OL waiver-wire pickup.

At any rate, I have a bad feeling the Bengals could lose the DC who was key to the last two years. The Bengals defense was 6th in the league this year in points/game.
Reply/Quote
If the Cards do make their decision on the basis of the 2nd half of the Super Bowl, that is just insane- which doesn't mean it's not true. It really underlines how coordinators ought to strike while the iron's hot. Not saying to take the first job offered, per se, but also not to believe your own press clippings. Those are literally just on the verge of becoming yesterday's news.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 05:54 PM)tms Wrote: If the Cards do make their decision on the basis of the 2nd half of the Super Bowl, that is just insane- which doesn't mean it's not true. It really underlines how coordinators ought to strike while the iron's hot. Not saying to take the first job offered, per se, but also not to believe your latest press clippings. Those are literally on the verge of becoming yesterday's news.

Agree on all points.

But Sunday night is fresh, and right now a number of vocal, emotional Eagles fans want Gannon fired. Arizona might like Gannon and be afraid to pull the trigger on him because their Arizona fans might have that fiasco of Sunday night in their minds.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 05:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Another thing that we hamper Lou with is our propensity not to upgrade talent during the season. Philly loses a couple DTs they go out and sign Ndamukong Suh and Linval Joseph. We lose players and we get "win with what you got". We never replaced our CB#1, we never replaced Reeder when he was out. And worst we sat on our hands when LC and Kappa went down. It cost us the Superbowl 

<screams internally>

*Reader
*Cappa

How can you spell a name like Ndamukong correctly, and then mess up two of our own starters?

Reply/Quote
I gotta admit. Lou would make a solid fit in Arizona. He's got talent there to work with for sure. And great draft capitol.

Bengals need to hit this reset out of the park with a great DC hire, and a draft similar to what the Cheifs had last offseason.
I think if they reshuffle this team just right, we could be better.
Improve the offense by adding depth to oline and tight end. Improve the offensive efficiency by drafting a shifty, quick/fast/explosive runner to replace Mixon.
Upgrade the corner depth. Dax Hill has to put it together to replace Bates. Add to the pass rush in the draft.

On paper the defense and offense could be better. But we'll be worse on defense if our DC is a dropoff from Lou. Have to get that hire right.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 06:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: <screams internally>

*Reader
*Cappa

How can you spell a name like Ndamukong correctly, and then mess up two of our own starters?

I fear you missed the point of the post 

Reply/Quote
There was a comment from a Cards fan that basically said. Eagles fans want Gannon to get the job and Bengals fans don't want Lou to go.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/.amp/news/arizona-cardinals-trending-towards-hiring-jonathan-gannon-per-report

Hopefully this trending talk is true about Gannon. They wouldn't keep Lou waiting this long if they favored Lou and were just checking in on Gannon.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 07:02 PM)phil413 Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/.amp/news/arizona-cardinals-trending-towards-hiring-jonathan-gannon-per-report

Hopefully this trending talk is true about Gannon.  They wouldn't keep Lou waiting this long if they favored Lou and were just checking in on Gannon.

Arizona didnt wait until after the Super Bowl to interview Gannon if they really wanted Lou as the head coach.  I would think Gannon is probably the #1 choice which is why they waited for him with Lou being the #2 unless something happened with Gannon in the interview/negotiation process.
Reply/Quote